Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Automotive paint

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Automotive paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 03:44 PM
carrellh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Automotive paint

ORIGINAL: stevenmax50
Any of you guys try Nelson paints yet?
One of our club members, RCU user name pmw, has used the Nelson paint on three or four models and they look great. Nelson buys the paint in bulk from System Three, mixes the colors, and sells 'hobby size' bottles. With the cross-linker it seems to be fuel proof.
And, according to pmw, Jerry Nelson will talk you through any issues or questions you have. You might have to fake a doorbelll ring to get off the phone. Apparently he loves to talk planes, painting, etc.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:53 PM
carrellh

The least expensive hvlp gun on their web site is $23.47 plus $7.99 shipping
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45001
Old 03-12-2010, 09:34 PM
capt17

The spray gun must be a regional deal or it's going out of stock because they had a TON of them for $14.99. Itsprays like I paid $100 for it. It looks just like this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90977 but with no reg. i bought the reg there for $7. Those are still great deals for spray guns though! I might go back and buy another just to have around.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:14 PM
stevenmax50
My Feedback: (1)

Yes, you got a very good deal.  Its still gonna be a few weeks before I am ready.  I may just get the one carrell posted.  Then again I may just use the gun I have this time around and wait to spend the money on the next one.   

Old 03-14-2010, 02:12 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, I have sweveral regular guns and wonder what compresser you are using for the HVLP. My compresser puts out 115 psi at about 4.5 CFM. I have two storage tanks totaling about 12 cubic feet. Could I use a HVLP gun with this setup? TIA
Old 03-14-2010, 02:21 PM
goirish

ORIGINAL: capt17

The spray gun must be a regional deal or it's going out of stock because they had a TON of them for $14.99. It sprays like I paid $100 for it. It looks just like this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90977 but with no reg. i bought the reg there for $7. Those are still great deals for spray guns though! I might go back and buy another just to have around.

I got 4 of them when they were `14.95. Was lucky that the retail store had them, so no shipping. I do some wood working and I use one to spay clear lacquer. Does a great job.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:04 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: spaceworm

Hi, I have sweveral regular guns and wonder what compresser you are using for the HVLP. My compresser puts out 115 psi at about 4.5 CFM. I have two storage tanks totaling about 12 cubic feet. Could I use a HVLP gun with this setup? TIA
you can just dial down the pressure the HVLP guns can run between 25-45lbs, I use my nail gun compressor all the time for spraying, nail guns run 90-115 with a tank that size I would want to use a water trap with the larger tanks they get alot of condensation, with my small comp. I just make sure to drain it regularly so there is no moisture.

depending on your paint choice, water can give you a condition called fisheye really just a swirl looking pattern, all I spray for modeling is water based paint from www.warbirdcolors.com now, so moisture isn't such a problem Nelsons is also a water clean up paint as well( simmilar to WBC) but auto enamel,and laquer is more sensitive to the moisture issue.

I also use a 50' nail gun hose so it takes a while for any water to make its way to the gun, getting ready to spray a couple of models in the next few weeks a Top Flight P-40 and my 60 size FW-190A8
Old 03-20-2010, 06:41 PM
capt17

Well It's done. She's ready to fly. I hope flies half as well as she looks. I'm concerned about weight. She's coming in at 8.2 lbs. with a Magnum .70 up front and I had to add 7 ounces to the nose to balance her. I have retracts which added to this weight issue. I have well over 200 hours in this thing and want her to fly so badly! I can handle "enough" power to shoot holes in the sky. I don't want to do unlimited vertical or crazy aerobatics just putter around and look good. I have other planes for that sort of stuff. Am I in trouble with this weight and engine combo? Aside from putting a .91 FS in it, what else can I do except go full throttle and take off?! My stallspeed is going to be decrease a bit correct? Enjoy the pics!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79995.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	190.2 KB
ID:	1401732   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18775.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	340.4 KB
ID:	1401733   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86994.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	321.7 KB
ID:	1401734   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm29400.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	1401735   Click image for larger version

Name:	It10350.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	1401736   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dt19035.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	228.1 KB
ID:	1401737   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eg77529.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	269.7 KB
ID:	1401738  
Old 03-20-2010, 06:42 PM
capt17

Not sure why those didn't thumbnail. Sorry.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:30 AM
psuguru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My stallspeed is going to be decrease a bit correct?
The heavier your plane is, the higher the stalling speed in level flight.

The good side is that your model won't be affected as much by gusts of wind.

It's looking good.
Take it easy on the maiden, make sure you accelerate with a low nose attitude before hauling any steep turns!

Good Luck,
Carole
Old 03-22-2010, 10:21 AM
capt17

PSU, Oops right, I know what I meant I just wrote it wrong. I have to land a bit hotter than normal. My Magnum 70 (which has 1/2 gal of fuel through it) sitll had a horrible time idleing and the throttle would vary 100 to 200 rpms just sitting and any throttle level. I decided to try my hand at adjusting the valves for the first time (first 4 stroke) and it wasn't as hard as I thought! Also I started up the Magnum after the adjustments and she seems to perform so much better now. It responds better to my low end screw adjustments, the top end is strong and consistent and it holds steady wherever the throttle is now.

Now if only this rain and wind would subside for a day or two. . .
Old 03-23-2010, 12:24 PM
psuguru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I decided to try my hand at adjusting the valves for the first time (first 4 stroke) and it wasn't as hard as I thought!
Ah,
I see you are getting the Zen-like one-ness that comes from "fettling", yourself. Sheds, boats, motorbikes and model planes should all be crafted by your own hand.
The down side is that having imparted your own private portion of the universal ONE into the model it will, inevitably, try to move on to the next life; and sometimes it will succeed, taking a morsel of you with it, leaving you just a little diminished .