Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

FM Radios?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

FM Radios?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 12:27 PM
crossman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FM Radios?

I made the change to 2.4 when I had a need for a better radio. My 72mhz was working fine, (though I was on one of the most crowded channels in the club), But I felt the need for more features, model memory, timer, extra channels etc. When I bought my 7C, it just made sense to me to go with the 2.4G version. Since I didn't have a lot of planes at the time, the cost of receivers wasn't a big outlay at the time. I still have one 72mhz radio, it's a Hitec AM 2Ch in a HobbyLab SR-71 that I intend to get flyable this year.

and thanks, gsoav8r, I just killed 15 minutes reading and laughing at that Wikipedia listing.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:10 PM
quiltsfly

I use a converted 9PCM for my bigger aircraft and a 7 CAP for may smaller aircraft and electrics.

Happy Flying
Quiltsfly
Old 02-19-2010, 03:12 PM
quiltsfly

I use a converted 9PCM to 2.4 for my bigger aircraft and a 7 CAP for may smaller aircraft and electrics.

Happy Flying
Quiltsfly
Old 02-19-2010, 04:24 PM
mrrallysport
My Feedback: (3)

9c Super Chanel 39 !
Old 02-19-2010, 06:02 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah I still use Fm 72mhz radios and planes. I am still flying them. Maybe when the radio quits working I'll retire it then. But heck if the plane and radio still work, I am going to use it. besides not many people to have to share with at the flying field anymore.
I do have 2.4ghz for new planes, but i am still using the 72mhz stuff on my existing planes.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:36 PM
biam

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have both, 2.4 and 72mhz on channels 19 and 35. Still get on the frequency board even if im alone at the field, you never know who will arrive while your up in the air.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:38 PM
wbdah
My Feedback: (4)

I still have 72mhz radios also. I have been in the hobby for 29 years and remember what happened in 1991. I honestly think the swich to 2.4 by the AMA is going to happen sooner than people realize. I have already heard that some contests and fields are starting to ban 72mhz radios. In my opinion, within the next 3 yreas, AMA is going to ban all 72mhz radios from use. Sure there will still be people flying them, but it will be a " dont ask dont tell" type of thing. I hope I am wrong, but i do believe its coming fast.  
Old 02-19-2010, 06:59 PM
charlie1960

channel 20
Old 02-19-2010, 07:28 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

I love this hobby. And I like most of the folks that I meet who are in the hobby. That being said, this may be the most elitist group of guys I have ever run in to. When we got the 50 channels we enjoy on 72 MHz, we were in heaven. It was the greatest thing since sex. Then all of a sudden, when the 2.4 technology burst onto the scene, the 72 MHz stuff was junk overnight (for the elitists). For me, that is bs. It was good, and it is still good if your field is in a place where interference is not a problem. I'm like a couple of the other guys who also have some AM radios. I have a couple AM radios that still work great. I have a bunch of FM radios that work great. And I have a 2.4 Futaba radio and four receivers that work great. It's all good. It's like saying that ball bearing engines are better than bushed engines, period. That also is bs. There are places in this hobby for bushed engines and there are places for 72 MHz radios. Use what works for you.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:14 PM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

I have a 6X, 6EXA, and 10C on 72Mhz.
I use the 10C mostly now, and a few planes are on the 6EXA PCM.
The 10C is a module radio, version 1, so it also has the 2.4 Ghz module, and its programmed with all 24 RTF planes found in various places in the house.
Instead of any preference for modulation, I just like easy programming radios, and all are pretty straight forward for me.
All 24 planes are RTF, no time to list them all.

Not one of them has a bushed engines on it, and none ever will. It's personal preference like climate control and power windows. I also don't like airbleed carbs.
If a radio has flaperon, throttle cut, exponential, and high rate for rudder so I can play with flat spins, I'm enjoying my hobby at a level I fly at.

Reading other posts, I'm fully in agreement with super deals like six Futaba PCM receivers for $30 each. I think I'll say PCM is going to be my favorite modulation for the buck.

Channel 36, 42, 52, a sharpie tells me which planes are on what and if I've got a NIMH or NICAD inside with it's MAH rating as I field charge on last minutes notice usually and don't want to remove a wing to see.

3 are marked 2.4. They are in a Super Skybolt / Surpass ll 91, a Midwest Hots ll/Rossi 45, and an Ultra Hots I fly and wouldn't want anything to go awry in, assuming 2.4 gives me a slight improvement on a reliable interference free signal, so I was told. I can always replace a Stick and AX 46 on 72Mhz and so forth.

By the way, did you know the masses are waiting five months for the arrival of the Aurora 9, and they are STILL waiting foolishly for Hitec to find a buck to ship them out?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXCZ5&P=ML Tower keeps adding a month after each consecutive month, since October I believe. So sad. Long live Futaba.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:45 PM
Billyfloyd

Channel 44, Ready for take-off.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:59 PM
Quikturn
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I operate a JR 9303 (which I love) and a Hitec Eclipse 7 with a Spectum module. Both are PCM, never had an issue using 72, ever. I'm sure 2.4 is nice but for the price I will only switch when I have to. By the time 2.4 becomes mandated perhaps prices will be lower and/or the technology may be better. Example; I purchased a new Sharp 46" LCD, 1080P, 120hz TV a few months ago for $810. when LCD's came out they were in the thousands. Sometimes it pays to wait.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:06 PM
CKLLOYD

I use am-fm and now 2.4 have them all and use them all..
Old 02-19-2010, 11:38 PM
Mustang1971
My Feedback: (30)

Guys, 2.4 has more of a benefit than field frequency control! The response time of a 2.4 radio is much quicker than a 72mhz radio. When I made the switch to a Futaba FASST system in October of '07 I was flying my Top Flite T-34 with a 72mhz radio. I pulled the 72mhz reciever out, put in a 2.4ghz reciever and (I wouldn't believe this part myself if it didn't happen to me!!) the second I turned the radio on and moved the sticks I could feel the difference in response!!

My jump was from an Airtronics Stylus to a Futaba 12FG and the Stylus at the time was known to be a "fast "radio.

Anybody else have the same experience?

PS - I am not trying to knock 72mhz radios. They really do work fine but this new technology is awesome!
Old 02-19-2010, 11:50 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

ORIGINAL: JollyPopper

Then all of a sudden, when the 2.4 technology burst onto the scene, the 72 MHz stuff was junk overnight (for the elitists).
I reread this thread twice and couldn't find anywhere where someone said that 72mHz was junk. In some ways, 72mHz is better now than it was 4 years ago - it's less crowded than it was, and you can find some smoking deals on used equipment. Of course, that isn't all that wonderful if you are SELLING used 72mHz equipment....

72mHz radios are not junk - but they ARE obsolete. That's why it's possible to buy 72mHz equipment so cheaply. That's not an elitist statement, merely a reflection of reality. JR, Futaba, Airtronics, and Hitec are not going to develop new 72mHz radios - just like they quit doing AM radios.

Really - anybody planning on buying a NEW 6+ channel 72mHz system????
Old 02-19-2010, 11:53 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

ORIGINAL: Mustang1971

Guys, 2.4 has more of a benefit than field frequency control! The response time of a 2.4 radio is much quicker than a 72mhz radio. When I made the switch to a Futaba FASST system in October of '07 I was flying my Top Flite T-34 with a 72mhz radio. I pulled the 72mhz reciever out, put in a 2.4ghz reciever and (I wouldn't believe this part myself if it didn't happen to me!!) the second I turned the radio on and moved the sticks I could feel the difference in response!!

My jump was from an Airtronics Stylus to a Futaba 12FG and the Stylus at the time was known to be a ''fast ''radio.

Anybody else have the same experience?
Yep - and you REALLY felt it if you went from PCM to 2.4! Ask a pylon guy.....
Old 02-20-2010, 02:15 AM
James c harrell
My Feedback: (18)

I fly all three. AM, FM, and 2.4. Only one I have ever had a problem with is the 2.4!!
Old 02-20-2010, 03:57 AM
Steve Landron

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just picked up my first 2.4GHZ radio the Spectrum DX7. Not bad, I'm slowely retiring my 72MHZ stuff!

Still running the following on
72MHZ

CH 38 Hitec Challenger 720 (Really old!)
CH 68 Ace RC
CH 46 Futaba PCM 1024
CH 33 JR XP662

Steve

[8D]
Old 02-20-2010, 06:17 AM
planedriver_2

I still have my HITEC Eclipse 7 w/ my old Spektra module that flew any 72 mhz freq and the fusion 9 rcvr. and mostly all other rcvr's on Qpcm on seperate channels, ie; 28, 34, 50, 55, . Then HITEC finally got the 2.4 ghz systems for the existing Eclipse transmitters so i got into it also, i plug the module in the eclipse and set up the new 7 channel 2.4 rcvr and off i went into the world of no more pin at my field. That's the best part !! But with a few moments due to the Hitec eclipse 7 having the 7 model memory i can go back to the 72 mhz on a moments notice with the planes i haven't updated with new 2.4 rcvr's. This is really great. I didn't have to buy a new transmitter. How can you beat that. I have two of them as a matter of fact so i could have 14 airplanes on a mixture of 72 mhz or 2.4 ghz, if and when 72 mhz is banned i have a second module on 2.4 for the second transmitter. will then just need the rcvr's for the rest of the non 2.4 airplanes. also the Hitec 2.4 ghz rcvr's are much more inexpensive than all the others and work just great. No bidding plugs easy set up and telemetry. This is my story and i'm sticking with OLD Hitec QPCM FM TX and it's new way of doing things.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:09 AM
rogue-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

I have a Jr783,7202 , and 9303 and are still using them on channel 15. I also have a spectrum 2.4 7 channel. Most of my planes are on the 72 band and I have never had an interference problem with them
Old 02-20-2010, 08:25 AM
Skinny Bob
My Feedback: (12)

I have the Tracker II & III by Polks Hobby, 40 MGHZ processor speed,99 model memory,3-2 way mixes,built in field scanner,synthesized frequencies. All for less than $200.00. Both have been working just fine without any problems. I am an old timer and this 72 meg system will be just fine for the rest of my flying time.

Skinny Bob
Old 02-20-2010, 11:07 AM
acobra
My Feedback: (40)

Still fly my Micropro 8000 single stick on AM, absolutely no problems. I will have to get a 2.4 if I plan on going to any major contests, but since I usually don't go to anything other than local stuff I'll keep my AM till I decide to go to some major event.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:03 PM
BelAirBob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is an article in the latest issue of Model Aviation that mentions this. AMA just rehired the DC lawyers that helped get the 50 channels 20 years ago. The regular TV channels are now gone as everyone knows. The government is now in the process of auctioning off all those frequencies and will get record high money. The wireless industry wants these bad. If you look at the frequency spectrum, you will see that our 72 mHz channels are mixed in with some of the lower old UHF frequencies. With so much money at stake, we probably have little chance of retaining these frequencies in the future. The companies lusting after our frequencies are going to argue that the radio manufacturers make literally nothing on 72 any more and our hobby is converting to 2.4. I think the AMA will try to hang onto these frequencies as long as they can, but those who claim they will use 72 the rest of their lives must not plan to be around very long. This hobby has undergone frequency changes in the past and each transition has been for the better..... Do we really want the AMA to spend big money on lawyers so a few hold outs can save a few bucks. We probably have a 5 year window to convert and I will use my 72's as long as I can too.

Those who have had problems with 2.4 need to make sure they do not bring over habits from 72 that can cause problems. This includes amplified Y harnesses, electronic reversing Y's, etc. And follow manufacturer directions with regard to antenna placement, etc. The big events such as Joe Nall and many jet flyers are all on 2.4 so it has moved beyond the experimental stage...and like anything, don;t buy cheap...

bob
Old 02-20-2010, 01:47 PM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Teachu2

Yep - and you REALLY felt it if you went from PCM to 2.4! Ask a pylon guy.....
This is the first mention I heard of what may be the biggest advantage to 2.4. At pylon races, everyone gets to fly against everyone. Not to mention it makes the CD's job a lot easier.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:53 PM
Albatross1

Almost our whole club is still on 72 MHz except for a couple of guys who bought new radios and found that the 2.4 were less than a 72MHz version of the same. We've got a small manageable group and it works so we don't fix it.
enjoy
Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.