Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Hanger 9 Ultra Stick .40 as a second plane?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Hanger 9 Ultra Stick .40 as a second plane?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2002, 02:20 AM
Flying Scotsman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hanger 9 Ultra Stick .40 as a second plane?

I should have asked this question prior to buying the stick but that crow effect just caught my eye :spinnyeye

Anyway, do you think that the H9 US is a good second plane? I have been flying my trainer for about 2 months. I solo'ed after three Saturdays and have been playing around with the trainer ever since so I "think" I am ready to try a second plane. Is the Stick the correct one?
Old 04-05-2002, 02:39 AM
magnum

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sticks are always good second planes. You can set the crow features up, but I would leave them alone and have someone fly the plane and trim it out for you. When you get more comfortable with it, you can dial in more ailerons and play with the flaps and crow.

Be sure to talk to however is teaching you, and ask if they think you are ready to move on.

I moved on to a stick just a few days after I soloed. So, yes it is a good one It will take a few flights to get used to it, for me they actually seem to land better than the trainer (not much float).

I assume you got the 40 size?

Good Luck!
Old 04-26-2002, 05:57 PM
otisflies

You will probably be fine with the Ultrastick. I have one and it can easily be flown from mild to wild depending on engine and rates. Just stick to low rates for a while until you get used to it and you will be fine. I find it a very easy plane to fly. It goes where you point it, flys well in the wind, etc. Be sure to hold some up elevator for the first couple feet and get an experienced pilot to take it up for you the first time.

Good luck.
Old 04-26-2002, 07:33 PM
Mike2002

I really think the plane would be a good choice becasue of the advanced features that you can use when you become a more advanced pilot. But just don't start off flying it trying to use all of the more advanced features.
Old 04-26-2002, 11:45 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You should could select a lot worse! A lot depends on your instructor - have him set it up so it is a slow flying plane and you shouldn't have any trouble.

Let the flaps and CROW features stay at home while you go flying until maybe next month

Jerry
Old 04-27-2002, 12:53 AM
THE TAILBACKER

Great second plane but think ahead just a tad more to your '3rd" plane. Most want some sort of .40 size scale warbird or something thereof with a hot engine. Well if you can, buy that engine now and fly it on you stick.
Old 04-27-2002, 02:19 PM
Crash_N_Burn

I've been out of the hobby for about 10 years and just started flying my old trainer a few months ago. I was never very good when I quit, take-off, a few loops and land consistently, but not really super confident.

Yesterday I flew my new UltraStick 40 w/flaps for the first time and boy, what a thrill!

Had a little trouble with the tail-dragger on takeoff, but got her up and trimmed out. Set everything on low rates and it was still too hot for me.

Brought it back and dialed in 60% expo on ailerons + elevator and it was much better. Accidentally hit the mix switch (couples ailerons and flaps as one continuous aileron) and it scared the heck out of me! I've never seen anything roll so fast! (gulp)

Well, last landing I got out a little too far and low and even thought I gave it full up elevator she pancaked flat and ripped off the landing gear held on with nylon bolts (good idea, yes?). No other harm done!

Oh, I cut 5 or 6 five inch red diamonds and put on the bottom of the wing....much easier to see!

I think you would be OK with the US40 as a second plane. Get some help initially; use low rates; use expo; make sure your motor is reliable and idles low as the plane will float on landing with a fast idle.

Happy flying!

-dave-
Old 01-15-2003, 06:08 PM
LeeL
My Feedback: (1)

Ultra Sticks make great second planes, In my hanger are a 120 size (this was my 2nd. plane and a 60 size with the transparent yellow covering. both are superb fliers. As was stated in an earlier post they can be as mild as a trainer or as wild as any 3d plane out there almost.
Old 01-15-2003, 06:26 PM
adrian-RCU

everybody must have a stik and the ultra is the one mild to wild