Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

rubber bands

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

rubber bands

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 07:35 AM
my05monte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rubber bands

I'm almost finished with a Hanger 9 Solo Star trainer. The problem is the manual doesn't state how many or how to place the rubber bands. Also do I balance with the rubber bands on or off?
Old 04-04-2010, 07:36 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: rubber bands

Balance with rubber bands on

Put 5 bands front and back on each side then one more (on each side) in a crisscross pattern
Old 04-04-2010, 07:37 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Assuming you're going to fly it with the rubberbands on then I would balance it with the rubber bands on

I'd do 4 on each side with the last two in an X
Old 04-04-2010, 07:44 AM
Dr1Driver

Use one rubber band per side per pound of plane weight. i.e. a 5 pound plane should have 5 bands per side. Now add one crisscrossed each way and you got it! I advise to NOT reuse rudder bands from day to day. Glow fuel, sunlight, and constant stretching quickly cause the elasticity to decay. The old "store them in cornstarch" trick may dry out the oil on them, but does nothing to restore the original strength. Rubber bands are cheap, especially when bought in bulk from Office Max, Office Depot, or Staples. There's nothing special about "radio control" rubber bands. A "#64" rubber band is a rubber band is a rubber band.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:46 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A lot of people will say no to reuse, but I generally use them until they show signs of wearing out - then get rid of them
Old 04-04-2010, 07:48 AM
my05monte

Thanks for the quick answers guys!!
Old 04-04-2010, 09:15 AM
R/C Skyjumper

Throw them rubber bands away and start using velcro , Holds better and faster to remove and easer on wing panals and cost less and holds as good or better than rubber bands- if they work on my 40 trainers and Sr Telemaster they work on anything that uses rubber bands

Old 04-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Phi3l

I agree with MinnFlyer. At the slightest sign of wear out they go. After a flying session I put them in a small container (nut can or small cottage cheese tub with a snap on lid) about 3/4 full of floor dry. The next trip out the oil is gone and the bands are like new. I inspect each one as I put them on the plane.

Phil[8D]
Old 04-04-2010, 12:26 PM
tripower222
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: R/C Skyjumper

Throw them rubber bands away and start using velcro , Holds better and faster to remove and easer on wing panals and cost less and holds as good or better than rubber bands- if they work on my 40 trainers and Sr Telemaster they work on anything that uses rubber bands

Never heard of it can you show me what your talking about?
Old 04-04-2010, 12:56 PM
flyingJ

I have the H-9 Solo Sport, same plane different graphics. What a great plane. I trained on it 6 yaers ago and now train my son with it. I've always used 14 rubber bands on the wing. 5 on each side going front to back and 2 diagonally each way. I put 2 F-B each side then a set diagonally, then 3 more F-B then the last 2 diag.. This might be over kill by some peoples standards but I like redondency. When you progress past your solo and start trying loops it is extra insurance that the wing doesn't come off pullinh out from the bottom side of a loop and you end up rekitting your plane.
Keep us posted with your progress.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:00 PM
chashint

I think rubber bands are cheap and throw them away after one use.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:18 PM
Minnreefer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A little off topic, but has anyone seen a good supplier of larger rubberbands? I have an old astro hog that has the wing attached with rubberbands and #64 are too small, I can get soem bigger sig ones, but they are about $2.00 for 8. I need rubberbands that are about 5"long.

Thanks

Jon
Old 04-04-2010, 02:24 PM
R/C Skyjumper

Jujst get some velcro not the strong stuff and sew a small loop in one end to fit around the rear hardwood rubber band peg make it long enough to go from peg over top of wing and under peg on front about 2 inches , then take the other part and sew it to the end overlap bout 1 to 1 1/2 inch pull snug and cut off about 1 inch from trail edge of wing

Now you have a long velcro looped over the back peg and it goes over the top of the wing under the front post and back over the velcro on top of wing - Pretty simple and easy to put wing on and off

Dont think it will work well we beeen usint this on sr telemasters and others with 26 cc motors and hauling up skydivers for over 8 years and never had a failur and do more stunts and other nonsence than most other flyers do with there wings held on with bands

If still confused pm me and I will give ya number to call or go to my website rcskyjumper.com and call and I will explane it
One yard of materal does about 2 sometimes 3 planes depanding on wing width-
may only change every 2 or 3 years unless one gets damaged
Old 04-04-2010, 02:29 PM
R/C Skyjumper

Minnreefer see my post and got that route for 2 or 3 bucks problem solved - I can hook ya up with a web site that makes these same way and garantees if wing comes off cause of his velcro ha buyes ya another plane
The ones I talk about doing are same same -
CALL me ya local and chat bout it
Old 04-04-2010, 02:41 PM
Minnreefer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Don, I will give you a shout and talk about it, I have a good idea as to what you are talking about.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:10 PM
Lnewqban

Minnreefer,

It seems that sizes 65 and 66 rubberbands will be suitable for your Astro Hog.

You could find additional information from these sources:

http://www.greatsoutherncorp.com/sirco/index.html

http://www.lee-rubber.com/sizes.htm

Old 04-04-2010, 03:21 PM
Lnewqban

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

A lot of people will say no to reuse, but I generally use them until they show signs of wearing out - then get rid of them
I have learned from my days of free flight that rubberbands last longer if they are "broken-in".
Just lubricate them with soapy solution and strecht them once for less than a minute.

I do it to my rubberbands and then I store them in a glass pot with soapy water.
I install them wet to attach the wings, and after use, I return them to the soapy solution, which takes care of the oil and where they stay until next use.

In this way, I discard them after several flying sessions, just to be safe, but I could say that at that point, they are as good as new.

Having clean fingers after I remove the bands from the wing is just a bonus.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:33 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a big difference in quality of rubber bands. Those you can get from the stationary supply are usually not very good. One of the better brands is SIG and they make a great deal of different sized ones. As to reusing them, I see nothing wrong with that as long as you check each one before you reuse it again to make sure it is not cracked or weakened in some manner. I store them in a light proof (ultra violet deteriorates them) container with either kitty litter or corn starch to absorb any fuel/oil residue that may be on them.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:01 PM
tripower222
My Feedback: (5)

I kinda like the idea. How tight does it hold the wing down I would think its sloppy also seems like it would have the ability to slide off pegs Im guessing its not a problem if your still doing it.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:13 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have found the Office Depot bands work well enough, but with just a little bit of sunlight they become brittle, and break easaly.

I had a whole bag of them go bad sitting on my work table, that gets afternoon sun through the window, it didn't take long before they were all useless and cracked, I only realized it after needing some for another project, pulled a few out and even the slightest tug would break them.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:52 PM
mike7124
My Feedback: (10)

Not sure of the brand name, but I used to buy 1 pound boxes of #64 and #62 at an office supply. The box was green and white and they were labeled "crepe". Used them for 3 or 4 flying sessions and then discarded. I still have some from several years ago that are perfectly useable. I loop 2 #64's together to make bands long enough for a Kadet Senior. I know the knot will weaken the bands but with 6 on each side with a 6 pound airplane, they work fine.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:02 PM
Kwikfli

I agree with the installation of rubber bands, but to make sure they don't get mixed in with new ones I CUT them off. No problem after that. Old pilot that taught me to fly always said "Rubber bands are cheap, planes are not."
Old 04-04-2010, 07:46 PM
tnrcplanes
My Feedback: (11)

A few observations I have made about rubber bands:

(1) I find the cream colored/light tan ones to be better and stronger rubber bands than the darker ones. In my area Office Max rubber bands are dark. Staples has the light better ones. I read somewhere the darker ones have more ash and/or dirt as filler.

(2) I throw them away after one use. They are too cheap. And, cutting them off is fine. Just don't leave the pieces on the ground for someone else to clean up.

(3) If they break while putting them on and they snap back and pop your hand they hurt many times worse at 30 degrees than they do at 80 degrees.

Your mileage may vary...
Old 04-04-2010, 08:44 PM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

Put 2 64's together with a intertwined knot.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:04 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Phi3l

I agree with MinnFlyer. At the slightest sign of wear out they go. After a flying session I put them in a small container (nut can or small cottage cheese tub with a snap on lid) about 3/4 full of floor dry. The next trip out the oil is gone and the bands are like new. I inspect each one as I put them on the plane.

Phil[8D]
Floor dry is cat litter.... We suggest NOT using used however

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.