Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Years of experience in R/C hobby including operating/flying & building

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Years of experience in R/C hobby including operating/flying & building

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 11:28 AM
jammerman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Years of experience in R/C hobby including operating/flying & building

born 1955 , flew and built control line and free flight until 1971 then RC , first plane was escape proportianal rudder only cesna then on to kraft systems and pattern. Been flying RC ever since, steadly getting bigger.... now flying Comp ARF 40% extra
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24633.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	1414825  
Old 04-09-2010, 12:35 PM
coachdavis10

Default RE: Years of experience in R/C hobby including operating/flying & building

I"ll be 41 in 8 days... I started in the Hobby with my Dad when I was about 10ish.... got out of it when I turned 16 (bet you can't guess why?) got back into it when i was in my early 20s for a couple of years, got married and she did't like it so I quit. didn't pick the hobby back up until summer 2006 but i"m in the whole hobby now. I mostly build kits and from plans but have assembled a few ARFs (they do have a place in the hobby BTW).....
Old 04-09-2010, 12:53 PM
Nitro777

I'm 26. Been flying for about 6 years. Love every minute of it.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:13 PM
cfircav8r
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Started flying when I was 13 in 1981, that was the year my mother got a job at Kraft as an engineer. I taught myself to fly on a 2m glider and slowly worked my way up to .049 then 4ch trainers by the time I was 16. I got pretty good until I left for flight school in '93. That is when I really learned how to fly. Being self taught I had a lot of misconceptions and bad habits that flight school helped me correct. I would recommend everyone that is wanting to fly models take a ground school. They are usually offered at the local comm colleges for a reasonable price. Started flight instructing, kids, and joined the Air Guard, so left it for a while. got back in a few years back, just like riding a bike.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:50 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Born in June 1953. Had full scale pilots in the family including my Dad. He liked to take us kids up a lot. He was killed in his plane in 1966. I was just 13 at the time, and my youngest brother, Brian, was only 5. There were 4 of us boys in all, me being the oldest.

My love of aviation continued even after that tragic traumatic period and it wasn't long after that I started flying CL with my next youngest brother.

Then, in 1969 I built (we built them all back then boys) and flew my first RC plane together with a Heathkit (remember them) radio to 'control' it, sort of. Brian was old enough by then to enjoy it and we started a hobby comradeship that exists even today. Been building and flying RC ever since. Both of us. Lots of stories for some later thread.

Built my first Giant scale in the mid 80s. I designed and built it. It lasted three or four flights, being only somewhat controlled by that Heathkit radio.

Check out my gallery for some of my plane history.

It has been, and continues to be, now at the age of 56, a great hobby for my mind and spirit. The body has not benefited as I would have liked it to, and I'm afraid I have sniffed way too much glue.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:00 PM
armody

Wow,

All ya guys have amazing experiences and [sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif] to y'all. I forgot to mention When I was between 6 to 10 I went to airshow with my Dad or oldest brother, and they bought me a plane which I had to assemble myself like skinny 3 or 4 piece plane which was you shoot it through your hand or pitch it to make it fly. Once again I really enjoyed reading all about y'all and I'm sure a lot of more people are here to participate

Once again, don't hide the age

Thanks

Mody
Old 04-09-2010, 02:23 PM
joeheren
My Feedback: (11)

i started with boats about 14 years ago, planes about 6. i am 45 my son who got me into the planes is 12 he started at 6 years old. first on a flight sim then the real plane. he never looked back and can fly circles around me[]
i enjoy the time we spend together at the field. but i am sure when he gets girls on the mind he will fly less
Old 04-09-2010, 03:07 PM
LazeeAce

I'm 59, started with C/L in the late 60s, quit after high school, got into RC in '82. Been at it off and on since. I'm a kit builder, building a (what else) Lazy Ace right now. Also have a 40 super sportster ARF I fly. It's the only one I've flown, and if I didn't have a pile of kits lined up to build, I would go the ARF route.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:24 PM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am 68 now. Built my first model in 1949, a solid model of a piper cub. Been building ever since. In 1953 I built my first CL plane from AAM plans and put an OK Cub 049 in it; still have the engine and it still runs. Been flying ever since. Built and flew my first RC trainer (RCM Trainer 60) in 1973 with a Fox Eagle I engine and learned to fly with the Mid Hudson RC Club. Also worked at the Rhinebeck WWI fly-in a couple of years. Been building and flying RC ever since. I was a founding member and later president of the RAF (Roswell(GA) Air Force) in 1975 and founding member of the GMA (Georgie Model Avaitors) in 1988. I am now retired and get to fly 3-4 times a week when the weather is good and spend 3-4 hours every day in the work shop when not flying. I fly both ARFs and Kit built planes and also build from plans. The kit I just started building is a Jemco PT-19 and just finished assembling a GP Super Skybolt with an OS 61 SF in it. The oldest radio I am still flying with is a Kraft BiCentenial '76 7 channel single stick system. It has been upgraded to FM, reversable servo throw and ATV. The newest radio I have is a Futaba 8FG Fasst system. In the 80s I did a lot of my own radio work assembling and maintaining ACE transmitters, receivers, and servos from kits. My favorite system is my Ace MP-8000 single stick which I have been flying since 1988. It was the first computer radio on the market and could store up to 10 model systems. I learned to fly dual stick just 2 years ago on my Futaba 7C Fasst system. I like dual stick best when using more than 6 channels. I have been an AMA member since 1973. I think it is a great organization. Model avaition led me to getting engineering degrees in Aero Engineering from Purdue (home of the astronauts) and U. of Arizona which then led to a 40 year career in computer programming. Figure that one out.

In summary I have been building and flying CL and RC models for 57 years and have loved every moment of it.

Bruce
Old 04-09-2010, 03:55 PM
armody

joeheren. Thats funny about your son, when he would have girls on his mind he would fly less lol

landeck/Bruce Aero engineering degrees and 40 years in computer programming wow[X(][X(] It's really blown me away. 57 years of experience and your experience is 17 years older than me, Wow [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif] for ya and for all who are participating and sharing their great experiences.

Mody
Old 04-09-2010, 05:13 PM
tkopper

Hey Everyone!  I turn 18 years old in 4 days, I have been flying R/C airplanes for about 9 years, Building for 7.5 years. I have also been flying R/C helicopters for about 5 years, (This was my most expensive hobby) lol. I have always wanted to be a pilot since I were about 5 years old, and when I was about 8 or 9 years old I got my first R/C airplane and have been flying ever since. I love this hobby and will not stop until I no longer can see. Theres my history in R/C, Thanks.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:30 PM
armody

tkopper,

Very well said, thats really impressive, you have lots & lots of years ahead to continue to enjoy this hobby. I wish I was 18 but would stay always young at heart
Old 04-09-2010, 05:50 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I turned 39 last month. I flew control line as a kid in the late 70's and early 80's. I had everything from the plastic Cox and Testors stuff to some kit built planes. I supported it mainly with a meager allowance so most of my stuff was second hand and in pretty sad shape. I also built a few Guillows rubber band kits and tried my hand at my own control line, rubber powered and hand-launched glider designs (very unsuccessfully but hey I was only 9 or 10). I did quite a bit of training to be a full scale pilot in my early teens with my Dad's friend who was an instructor. I got away from airplanes temporarily when I discovered cars, girls and beer. In the early 90's I got into RC for a while but I just couldn't afford it at the time so I gave it up. I got back into RC in 2004 or 2005 and been into it hard-core ever since.

My next goal is to get back into full scale.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:23 PM
tkopper

yes, I do have lots of years left, One day I hope I am as good as someone like Alan Szabo Jr. who basically inspired me to start flyingRChelicopters. Thank you armody!
Old 04-09-2010, 07:30 PM
tony0707

HI 65 1/2-FLYING RC FOR 20 YEARS- U CONTROL FOR 7 BUILDING -SCRATCH BUILDING AND REBUILDING WHAT I DESIRE TO KEEP FLYING GOT GOOD AT IT AFTER ALL THIS TIME AND LOVE A LOT ABOUT THIS HOBBY DO MOSTLY SPORT FLYING WITHOUT MANY PROBLEMS AT ALL23 PLANES READY TO FLY AND ALL TRIMMED ENJOY REGARDS TONY
Old 04-09-2010, 07:39 PM
kwblake

Hey. I just turned 52. Bought my trainer last spring, solo'd last summer. Started my first kit this winter,( it's going to take a long time, due to a crazy work schedule ) Have my next plane (an ARF,due to work ), picked out but not yet purchased. I am having the time of my life with this hobby. My wife smiles and walks away saying " Boys and their Toys". It is the truth. I think this hobby will help keep you young. I know I'm like a kid in a candy store any time I go to a hobby shop, or an RC website.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:40 PM
Fleet

At the ripe age of 61, I've decided to completely retire and devote all my time to my tomatos and my unfinished and soon to be finished planes.

In '56 or so , I saw my first RC model. Big orange thing it was witha small circuit board suspended within the cabin by large rubber bands on each corner of the board. The transmitter was a big box sitting on the ground with a very tall whip (Whup down hare) antenae. The owner/pilot had a smaller box in his hand that connected to the big box by a cable. I was hooked

I built all the 1/2A kits Scientific had and my brother and I got our start about '59. Built all the Sterling kits with a few others (Goldberg) freeflights in between.

In my youth, I tossed handlaunched gliders in Hangar #1 at NAS Lakehurst. Our school sponsored model club gave us a school bus and driver to catch the last days of a PAX River NAS meet.

Still at it but a little less in the past 8 years. I started a business and it took a lot of time. Besides, when you've mechaniced daily on real airplanes, the thirst for the work bench is quenced by beer time.

Great hobby and look forward to total retirement.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:10 PM
armody

You all guys have amazing, incredible and awesome stories and I'm now

My Salute to y'all, greetings, best wishes and big big[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif] Ain't it true, this hobby keeps us young and Men never get oldas long as they have their planes higher in the sky and sky's the limit
Old 04-09-2010, 08:17 PM
acorsair

Just turned 60 and doing things I never thought I could/ would ever do. Living and flying in China??? Started in 68 and never stopped. MinX and Rand Galloping Ghost got me hooked when I was young and broke. Bridi RCM Trainer and a fleet of Kaos got me really going when I finally had a few extra coins in my pocket. Today, especially where I'm living now, things are a lot cheaper than they were back then......5 channel Kraft or Logitrol was about $400 in the early 70's if I recall correctly. Still have the first few issues of RCM and all the broken props from my first flights with dates. The best thing about being in the hobby is all the great people you meet. Come to think of it, as I got older, the time spent BSing was greater than the time spent flying at the field.

Now doing some electric but nitro has my heart. Aghhhhhhhh..the sweet smell of nitro in the morning with a hot cup of coffee on a misty morning...can't beat it with a stick.

There are only two kinds of RC aircraft in the world. Those that have crashed and those that are about to crash.

Adulthood is for those that couldn't handle childhood!
Old 04-09-2010, 08:55 PM
jdr43

I'm 66 years old, started in the 50's with free flight, rubber power, control line and now RC gas & electric. Love building as much as flying but I also have some arf's. Aircraft mechanic for 20 years and a aviation safety inspector (air carrier) for 23 years, now retired.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:00 PM
tripower222
My Feedback: (5)

I am 42 years old, I built balsa and tissue paper models as a kid and built my first nitro plane in 1989 over 20 years ago, it was a Carl Goldberg Eagle ll with a O.S.  FP40, I still have the engine today and it runs great. Was out of the hobby for a number of years and got back in almost a year ago to find quite a few changes. Probably one of  the best changes being the internet.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:09 PM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice thread! Lots of guys are around my age! 58 now, 59 next month.

Around age 10, and kinda on a lark, I built a Comet Fokker of about 12" span and threw that off the front porch into the yard about 15 feet below. Gawd, I was hooked. Ambroid cement, butyrate and nitrate dopes, jap tissue, and razor blades entered my world. I started doing some free flight rubber, 1/2A, and hand launch gliders at Kapiolani Park, at the base of Diamond Head! My father gave me a plane he did not want...a bright red Berkeley L-5 with a Cox Pee Wee 020...a great flyer with Trexxler air filled balloon tires. Used an eyedropper to fuel the tank, to limit the flight. Most times it worked. Built a Scientific Skymaster for rubber...man that thing could float all day. Buillt and threw a bunch of different hand launch gliders, wow. Those were good times and I learned oodles about trimming out a plane.

My first RC gear was a Futaba xmitter with one silver button in the middle of the front face...one click for left, two clicks for right (or is it the other way). No elevator or throttle. Inside the plane was the rubber band powered escapement and two dry AA batteries. $40, lots in those days to a teenager. Great fun chasing your plane and hoping the rudder would actually actuate and turn the plane someplace you really wanted it to go. Around this time Ace brought it the pulse and others brought out galloping ghost. Very shortly the proportional radios came out. I kept at this stuff, and by around 20, I got my first real radio, a 2 channel Cannon system. Wow, what a great advancement this proportional was.

To cut a long story short, I made planes from scratch (my own designs and plans) and kits back then. Stayed in the hobby all my life, raised 3 sons along the way, kept the same loving wife. Built my last kit around 12 years ago, the CG Ultimate bipe. Still flying it and loving it, even with the one servo powering 4 ailerons, haha. I replaced that servo recently for insurance, and I should do the same to all the other servos come to think of it. Now ARFs are too good and competitive to building a kit for me. I retired 3 years ago exactly and am immersed in RC. I probably made a couple ARFs in the 10 years before retirement...work kept me busy, raising the boys took time, and money was saved for sending kids to college. But in the last three years since retirement, and with just one boy left and graduating HS this June, I went nuts on building my air force. I think I made around 8 planes in that time, and have expired only one. LIFE IS GOOD!!!

Oh say, I taught my sons to fly. The two oldest are on their own but live nearby and we love going flying together. Most times it is me and the middle son who can fly a 2x4. But the memories made and the memories yet to live with them in this fine hobby are priceless.

Thanks for the cool thread and lots of good stories. Jon
Old 04-09-2010, 10:28 PM
mikewoodez

I'm 24, and have been flying full scale aircraft, with my Grandfather, (Rutan Long Eze) since I was 4, "helped" build it in fact. Been flying models since the age of 7, building them since 8 (first one was left up to Grampa to build), and have continued flying pretty consistantly all throughout my life, though my other hobbies and my proffession seem to get in the way lately! I am on my way to playing drums for a living, while working for a construction management company, so my time is taken up by 4 practices a week, and 60 hour weeks. Still fly at least 4 flights a week, because it keeps me sane!
Ive built trainers, foamys, 3d planes, 3 choppers, a car or two and have put together more arf's than I care to imagine.

Anyone who tells you R/C is not an addiction, has never chosen between Foam Safe CA or gas. What a great Addiction!

Michael
Old 04-09-2010, 10:42 PM
pappyd6
My Feedback: (21)

58 years old, started control line at age 8.  Flew freeflight and C/L until my first R/C in 1966 with single channel escapement equipment.  First proportional radio was a self-built MAN 2-3-4 system in '71.  Turned hobby into a career of 27 years as an Air Force pilot, now retired and R/C is full time enjoyment. 
Old 04-09-2010, 11:26 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great to hear about all you youngsters that started out with early stuff. I was into the stick and tissue by 7-8 years old, carved solid models out of wood. Dad had a large supply of cypress, and some of it got updated to airplanes. First CL models were spark ignition. First successful FF was a CO-2. In early high school I finally secured 4 runable glo-plug engines, Cub .074, Fox 29, Forester 31, and O&R 60. Also a McCoy .09 but it went away to parts unknown in a self designed FF. Soon had K&B 35 and 19 and from there I forget. Did mostly kits but some self designs. Flew with 4 other guys, when not flying alone. If we made a big model, usually it ended up with two wing halves which by next weekend were 2 short wing combat models for a day or so.

My dad hated modeling, airplanes of any sort. Mom tolerated it. Dad was a workaholic and anything outside productive labor was useless and laziness. Still I managed to keep aeromodeling swapping places as main interest with fishing. I wound up in the USAF at age 19 Aviation Cadets. Fooled 'em enough to get those wings and bars during my 20th year.

Nothing kept me from doing modeling. Wife, kids, being on Alert in a B-47, or whatever I kept building and flying. Flew CL between the B-47 Alert line at Hunter AFB, and several bases in Spain and Morocco. Always was asked by the Cols. what I would do if the horn blew. They were always satisfied with "Nose it straight into the ground, and I'll be first man in my airplane."

I left the USAF for better pay at United Airlines. Missed the furloughs but spent way too may years as a Second and First Officer.
Even owned a Hobby Shop in Mt. Prospect. IL, 1971-78. When I opened the HS, I had to give up my CL and FF and get into RC as that was the thing. If I was going to sell 'em I needed to know about them. I was very competitive in CL Stunt and several classes of FF in the '60s and early '70s. In 1983 with a very large life-style change, I needed some room and I dumped 125 trophies and plaques into the apartment complex's dumpster.

I was a club officer several years, an AMA Contest Coordinator, twice elected AMA DVP , worked several Nationals, an officer in the "Greater Chicago Association of RC Clubs", and all this time I managed to spend a few years flying again for the USAF Reserve. Busy Busy. I could build a Kit Kaos in 5 days while working a 3 day trip in that time. Need something done give it to a busy man. Now I cannot build an ARF in 2 months and I'm fully retired for 14 years. BTW I just turned (Feb,) 74 years old.

Have been back flying some CL again. I enjoy that and am planning flying CL Sport Scale and Fun Scale plus RC Fun Scale at the '2011 NATs. AMA is planning some 75 years Promotion and I will be 75 so it will happen, if I don't get run over by an 18 wheeler.

Right now I belong to AMA (Life) Jetero RC Club, Inc. (Life) and three other area clubs, along with IMAA, NMPRA, and IMAC. I prefer building/tinkering to flying anymore. Here are some items. The little sweetie-heart is PaPa's Darling but there are 10 others, they just don't live close.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76438.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	1415233   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25336.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	1415234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Io29031.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	1415235   Click image for larger version

Name:	Le93422.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	1415236  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.