Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Next step up...

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Next step up...

Old 05-07-2010, 01:08 PM
TAftonomos
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Next step up...

It's been awhile since I've flown, and I'm looking to get back into the sport. I've got a decent radio, a .91os fx engine, and the required stuff for nitro (most of it).

Looking for a plane.....the few I've spoken with have suggested a big stick, which is what I was building before life changing things happened.

The "kit" is long gone, but ARF's are affordable now....

Instead of going with a stick, what do you guys think about a U-can-do 3d, Harrier, or something of the like? Seems like on low-throws it might fly gentle, but when I get bored, I can turn it up a bit further than a stock stik would...

???
Old 05-07-2010, 02:11 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Next step up...

The You Can Do 60 would be a nice plane and is extremely stable with low throws

The problem with this plane is that you have to keep the speeds low as the elevator will fluttler.

I've had a couple and really like them.

I've seen other people curse them because you couldn't do a fast fly-by with one
Old 05-07-2010, 02:19 PM
Switch_639

well thats an awesome engine... I have one myself... using it in a Phoenix Diabolo 60 size... its like a vintage Extra... you definitely want an aerobatic plane... the engine pulls my plane very fast with a 13x8 prop... but can fly slowly also if required... fastest I have done in a dive was 128mph... measured with GPS... at full throttle avg speed was 60mph in straight flight... but of course I am overpowering my plane... you obviously want something 70-90size... how about the GP Revolver? the latest bigger one...
Old 05-07-2010, 03:56 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What type of flying were you into when you got out of the hobby previously? The U-Can-Do and or Harrier would both do well at slower, high-alpha types of aerobatics. Both are very capable of floating around on their big wing but the trade-off is that they don't handle speed so well. If you are into more traditional sport aerobatics then the Stik might be the better option. The Stik will likely be a little tougher too. No real wrong choice, it just depends on your interests.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:03 PM
w8ye

I/ve had.have a lot of "Sticks" and enjoy them very much but there are beginning to be planes that I like better like the Twist 40 -60 and the UCD planes
Old 05-07-2010, 05:13 PM
Eganwp

Dude, you GOTTA check out the Great Planes 90 Size Revolver. It just came out and a buddy has one on a Saito 1.00 four stroke. This plane is so far beyond most of the planes I've seen & flown it's not even funny. You basically get a pattern ship & racer all in one package. The thing is rediculously aerobatic, lands like a trainer and will easily break 100 mph with your engine. It's got the looks to boot! I wouldn't even look at anything else, I've been so impressed with it! Obviously, if you're looking for a 3D plane then you'll have to look elsewhere.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:16 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 70" Revolver is one of the best ARF's available and it is hands-down my favorite airplane to fly. It wonder if it would be the best choice after a long lay-off though? Of course that all depends on the individual pilot too I suppose.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:21 PM
Switch_639

^^ I gave that vote also earlier... its the plane I would want...
Old 05-11-2010, 01:06 PM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

Chuck - I have a 59" and a 70" Revolver - BOTH are awesome planes! Am running an OS .61 2S in the 59" and an OS .91 2S in the 70". I also have a third Revolver - another 70" - still in the box, waiting to be built. For that I have a YS 1.20 4S - slightly overpowered, but I think this plane can handle it. As you said, they are both fantastic planes - they're quick, responsive, acrobatic, fly on rails on the straight, and, I think, look beautiful. The only weekness I've found - in both modesl - is the landing gear. It looks nice, but just isnt' strong enough. Plus the main gear comes in two halves, instead of one solid piece, and the four bolts are laid out in a single line across (instead of a "box") which makes it inherently weak. To be fair, I also fly on a very rough grass and dirt field, but I have seen these gears snap and fold-under (and puncture the wing) on my friend's 59", on a rough landing on a smooth runway. For the life of me I dont' understand that design. So on all of my Revolvers I install Dubro's landing gear - infinitely stronger. Just spray-paint it white first (fuel-proof paint) and then add colored trim. I also replace the rear gear with a Great Planes kit ($12). Once you have the gear swapped out this plane is unbeatable.

There is also another long thread here on RCU where we've been discussing (and voting on) the merits of a giant-scale revolver - like 82-86". From what some say Great Planes has heard us. I would certainly get one. I'm hooked.

Mike
Old 05-11-2010, 01:47 PM
CGRetired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me throw this one in too. I have the Goldberg Skylark 70 (available through Tower Hobbies) ARF. This is one excellent aircraft. I've not flown the Revolver, but from what I see of it, I would think that it is almost on an equal to the Revolver. Mine has an OS 75 AX and flys like a trainer if you want it to, but will do aerobatics like a larger, more expensive pattern plane.

In my opinion, it's worth a look see, for sure.

The UCD is, in my opinion, a tad bit fragile for someone that has not flown in a few years. It's light, which tends to make it fragile.

CGr.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:57 PM
DenverJayhawk

how much do you want to spend? The 60 sized stik and twist are probably the most affordable. I like Stiks because the motor is way out in front and I don't have to fuss around with a cowling, etc to get at the engine. I have a very limited time to fly. So when I'm at the field, I want the most simple, reliable and durable model I can find that will get me into the air as quickly as possible. For me, that means a Stik and an OS Engine. Plus, repairs are cheap and easy. That said, I'd love to try a revolver and twist.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:15 PM
goirish

If it keeps raining my next step up is going to be an ARK with Wings. What do ya think, 4 stroke or gasser.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:19 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Might as well make it a glider with all the wind we are getting with the rain .
ORIGINAL: goirish

If it keeps raining my next step up is going to be an ARK with Wings. What do ya think, 4 stroke or gasser.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:18 PM
CGRetired

We went from cold with rain and snow to warm with no rain, and now what we got is wind. Can't win!!

Hey Irish, you gonna put wings on that arc or just make it a true floater??

I keep looking at the Revolver. But, I don't want another plane in that class. I gotta think of something different.

CGr.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:31 PM
microdon2

CG - How about the Great Planes Giant Super Sportster, 82"? I like the looks of that plane. Personal taste, of course. And may not be as acrobatic as the 70" Revolver.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:33 PM
Eganwp

I agree CG, your Venus II is just too similar to justify it IMHO. If you didn't have the Venus then I think it'd be a different story. As for me, I have several of each class size in 10, 25, 40, 60 and then a 30% gasser. I wish I could move all of them up one class size and add some 1.20's! haha. However, for me it's hard to justify glow fuel $$ + total plane cost in the 1.20-1.60 size when I can just go gas instead.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:39 PM
microdon2

Eganwp - I'm on the verge of going gas, but don't know enough about it. Can you recommend an affordable and reliable gas engine for my 78" Texas Hurricane? I'm about to install an OS BGX-1 3500 on it, but am a bit worried about it getting only 10 flights to the gallon of 10%. ($10 for a day of flying - not the WORST thing in the world, but..). I'm guessing a 43cc engine would be a good size? Or less?
Old 10-28-2010, 12:58 PM
mschulz531

I know this thread has been dormant for a while, but I was searching for "Phoenix Diabolo" and this is the only recent thread that mentions this plane. I live in Illinois and I'm trying to find out where to buy one of these...where did you get yours? Since you are evidently in South Africa, I'm guessing it was not from a US Distributor.

Any help would be appreciated. Tower Hobbies, the US Dist. for Phoenix, does not list the Diabolo on their web site.

Regards,
Mike
Old 07-20-2012, 06:52 AM
Cactus463

The landing gear fix for the 70 revolver I posted earlier WORKShave one flying with DLE-20 and no problems at allAny one having trouble with the DLE-20 taking 10 to 20 seconds to come back to low idle -??/
Old 07-20-2012, 11:00 AM
w8ye

ORIGINAL: Cactus463

The landing gear fix for the 70 revolver I posted earlier WORKShave one flying with DLE-20 and no problems at allAny one having trouble with the DLE-20 taking 10 to 20 seconds to come back to low idle -??/
Comming back to idle slowly is a function of the idle mixture screw being set too lean.

Enrichen the idle mixture and adjust the idle speed to get the idle low enough to land the plane.