Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Wind is fun

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Wind is fun

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 03:07 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Wind is fun

I flew my Micro 4 Site in 15 mph winds today. I know it's an indoor only plane but I thoght it would be fun to watch it fly backwards at full throttle. And I was right, until it went ove a tree and disappeared. I cut the throttle and waited, then watched it flutter down like a leaf about 10 seconds later just behind the tree.

NO DAMAGE! This little plane is a beast!

I'm gonna do it again tomorrow.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:26 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Wind is fun

Ilike to fly the Parkzone T-28 in the wind sometimes and practice landings. You can't prevent the wind so you might as well have fun with it and try to make a challenge out of it.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:06 PM
cfircav8r
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The down wind high speed low passes are great with a big wind. Just remember to time the pull up a lot sooner
Old 09-10-2010, 08:41 PM
LargeScale88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love flying in heavy winds. I love practicing landings, takeoffs, and general flying. That way, if you go to some event, and its windy, you have experience. I like flying me senior telemaster (Huge Wing!) because the wing takes that so easy its pathetic, so I like to practice takeoffs with that also because its a taildragger, which will take much rudder.

Just keep practicing, and it will pay on on learning to fly in the wind.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:17 PM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

Sorry dude, but 15mph is a breeze. I agree with you that it is fun though. My son, when learning to fly, would tell me it was boring to fly when there was no wind. The challenge is simply not there.

We call hanging in the wind "flying a kite". Sometimes we do low passes moving backwards! That is windy, but fun. It is more fun when you have wind at 90* to the runway. Very wide, but short runway. Ultra short take-offs & landings are normal.

No matter the conditions, flying stays fun.

Live to Fly, Fly to Live.

Bliksem

Old 09-10-2010, 09:26 PM
jester_s1

15mph is a breeze when I'm flying my .60 Ultra Stick, but for a 1 ounce plane designed to fly indoors it's a freaking hurricane!
Old 09-11-2010, 08:20 AM
LargeScale88

Yeah, I agree. 15 mph isn't alot. When I said I was flying my telemaster in these winds, I wa flying in 20-30. Your airplane is so lite that it will get knocked around by the wind. It takes a little experience with lite airplanes in the wind.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:39 PM
ameyam

Several years (in fact 12 years back) when I first got interested in the hobby as a school kid, RC flying was still very expensive in my country. My instructor, who used to teach aeromodelling in a Government-run college to the army cadets, had a small .25 size (I think) screw-compression engine which he had mounted on a glider. We have 15-20mph winds on average on our field and the glider used to do about the same speed. The kids used to call it our own "VTOL" airplane because it used to never go anywhere, just hang around above our heads. Was great fun at the time

Ameyam
Old 09-11-2010, 03:47 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it's great to be able to take off, fly backwards down the runway and land where you started your take off run, never leaving the confines of the runway. Haven't done it completly latley but it is a blast.

It's also a blast to take off, snap inverted and kite it inverted then snap back upright and set down without going more then a few feet. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 09-11-2010, 11:11 PM
poison

I flew in 15mph wind guest today scary only when coming in for landing almost put a wing in the ground but made it alright was challange I give you that, taking off was fun it felt like I was flying my helicopter might have to try it again tomorrow think its going to be on the windy side again whats new right
Old 09-11-2010, 11:52 PM
jester_s1

I really like that so many rc'ers are scared of wind. I don't intentionally go out on windy days, but if my free day happens to be windy, I pack the truck and go. My club has the best runway in the area, and I sometimes have it all to myself on days with 10 mph winds and beautiful weather. Lucky me.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:24 AM
LargeScale88

Just keep working on it, and don't be scared. Just taking it as a learning curve when you go out and fly in the wind, not to have fun. It really aint fun flying in the wind, I don't think, I mainly do it for the experience.