RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   Canopy Glue ?? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/10519158-canopy-glue.html)

djensen623 05-14-2011 06:15 AM

Canopy Glue ??

What is it? Where can Iget it? I've talked to a couple LHS and they have no idea what it is. I don't need it as I just used CAto install my canopy hatch, but Ihave a buddy that is building a plane and his instructions call for it, and I know he'll want the right stuff. Thanks</p>

jp_boud 05-14-2011 06:34 AM

RE: Canopy Glue ??

I've had good luck using silicone II, the bath and window type caulking. I lightly trace the area the canopy contacts the fuse, poke a bunch of small holes  through the covering with T-pins and lay a bead of caulk down. place the canopy, clean up any that squeezed out, then tape down the canopy over night. There is just enough give in the caulk to keep vibrations from loosening the canopy, yet it's a very tight bond and the silicone is readily available.

djensen623 05-14-2011 06:38 AM

Thanks for the great idea jp_boud

G.Barber 05-14-2011 06:57 AM

The canopy glue can be found at www.franktiano.com They also have ZAP glues. Look under the ZAP glue tab.

Gray Beard 05-14-2011 08:52 AM

I can't get over a LHS not knowing what canopy glue is. I can't recall not seeing it stocked in a hobby shop. You can get it from any mail order shop that stocks glue. If you use tower then just order a bottle from them. It doesn't dry up like a lot of glues so a bottle can last a person for years. It goes on white and will dry clear. Good stuff.

opjose 05-14-2011 10:20 AM

Canopy glue is nothing more than "white" or "Elmer's" glue.

There is - ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE IN THE FORMULATION - only the price!

So you can use White or Elmer's glue instead.

The key is to lightly roughen up the surfaces with sandpaper, so the glue can adhere. It will not adhere to completely shiny surfaces.

This type of glue is used, so that the canopy can later be removed if desired without damaging the plane.

vertical grimmace 05-14-2011 11:19 AM

ORIGINAL: opjose

Canopy glue is nothing more than ''white'' or ''Elmer's'' glue.

The key is to lightly roughen up the surfaces with sandpaper, so the glue can adhere. It will not adhere to completely shiny surfaces.

This type of glue is used, so that the canopy can later be removed if desired without damaging the plane.

Ok, this is absolutely not true. RC 56 is canopy glue. It is the best for this purpose unless Zap has one. I think RC 56 is made by Pacer. It dries clear and is flexible. Elmers (PVA) dries much too stiff for this purpose. It is similar, but not the same. Now that you know the name, finding it should be easy. And as for the LHS, typical lack of knowledge.

goirish 05-14-2011 12:02 PM

I have never had any luck using glues like elmers for my canopies. Doesn't dry clear, seems to have a yellow cast. I only use RC56 any more. Just my 2c

opjose 05-14-2011 12:43 PM

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

Ok, this is absolutely not true. RC 56 is canopy glue. I think RC 56 is made by Pacer. It dries clear and is flexible. Elmers (PVA) dries much too stiff for this purpose. It is similar, but not the same. Now that you know the name, finding it should be easy.

No you are quite wrong.

I didn't believe it either. Someone else made this assertion here some time ago which I highly doubted.

I said the same as you too at the time, so I decided to research it a bit to test his assertion.

Much to my surprise I found that he was absolutely correct.

I found a PDF file online from the glue manufacturer ( Pacer ) given to the English Government's health division. It was produced for toxilogical reporting purposes in England so Pacer could sell Canopy Glue there...

It listed the chemicals, percentages, etc... in great detail. I compared it against the white glue fomulations.

Canopy Glue is nothing more than "white glue" in a slightly thinner mix.

Gorish: White glue doesn't dry with a yellowish cast. Were you using a different glue... e.g. a wood type white glue?

ec121 05-14-2011 01:01 PM

There are some craft glues that dry clear. They are used for gluing stones on clothing, etc.. Supposed to be machine washable if you want to put your plane in the washer. There is an Alene's Tacky Glue that doesn't run at all. Available at Walmart and craft stores. I am going to try that next plane.

Gray Beard 05-14-2011 01:44 PM

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

Ok, this is absolutely not true. RC 56 is canopy glue. I think RC 56 is made by Pacer. It dries clear and is flexible. Elmers (PVA) dries much too stiff for this purpose. It is similar, but not the same. Now that you know the name, finding it should be easy.

No you are quite wrong.

I didn't believe it either. Someone else made this assertion here some time ago which I highly doubted.

I said the same as you too at the time, so I decided to research it a bit to test his assertion.

Much to my surprise I found that he was absolutely correct.

I found a PDF file online from the glue manufacturer ( Pacer ) given to the English Government's health division. It was produced for toxilogical reporting purposes in England so Pacer could sell Canopy Glue there...

It listed the chemicals, percentages, etc... in great detail. I compared it against the white glue fomulations.

Canopy Glue is nothing more than ''white glue'' in a slightly thinner mix.

Gorish: White glue doesn't dry with a yellowish cast. Were you using a different glue... e.g. a wood type white glue?

I was unable to locate anything on line, perhaps you could locate the report for us?? I'm with other Gene, I have never had any luck with anything other then canopy glue or CA. With CA it will fog the plastic but I have used it with a tinted canopy.I have used colored tape with good results too. The build I'm on now will be using a canopy from a plane I crashed but used tape so it's in like new condition.

goirish 05-14-2011 02:08 PM

Yes, I believe what I tried was a carpenters glue. Now, the gorilla glue, not the foaming type does dry clear. I have, however, not tried it on canopies. guess I didn't want to take a chance and screw up the canopy. If it ain't broke, don't fix it is my motto.

opjose 05-14-2011 03:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

I was unable to locate anything on line, perhaps you could locate the report for us??

I did so when this subject first came up. The old thread should still be around, it's about 1.5 years old or so.

The report was not easy to find as I don't believe Pacer nor anyone else actually wants their formulations revealed.

I do remember that I located it after searching for "Pacer" and some of the substances used in a Google search.
That got me to the UK site hosting the report.

I may have the PDF saved ( I knew this would come up again... ) so if I can find it I'll post it.

My initial response to the poster that asserted this was that he was full of it... how wrong I was.

Is there any way I can search my own 10K+ posts for certain keywords so I can find that thread?

Gray Beard 05-14-2011 04:45 PM

ME+ COUMPUTER =????????????????????????????????? When I tried the elmers for canopy glue it came out brittle and just broke off with vibration. I have tried the yellow wood glue thinking it was the same color as Pacer Hinge Glue, another wrong on my part, it didn't stick so well. My Kingdom for a case of Pacer Hinge Glue!!!!!!!!!

goirish 05-14-2011 05:00 PM

I still have 2 bottles of pacer hinge glue that I guard with my wife's life.:D:D:D

carrellh 05-14-2011 05:36 PM

ORIGINAL: djensen623
What is it? Where can I get it? I've talked to a couple LHS and they have no idea what it is.
Pacer canopy glue, in stock
http://www3.omnimodels.com/cgi-bin/w...I=PAAR3300&P=0

ram3500-RCU 05-14-2011 06:59 PM

Canopy glue is nothing more than ''white'' or ''Elmer's'' glue.

I used RC56 for years thinking it was special stuff till I was tipped off to this fact. Elmer's is absolutely as good as any 'special' and more expensive canopy glue. Cheap and it works great. Cleans up with water. Much better, in my opinion than silicon, epoxy, or CA that will cloud your canopy.

opjose 05-14-2011 08:04 PM

ORIGINAL: carrellh

Or you can pay $0.20 more for four times the amount of white glue which works just as well.

[link=http://www.amazon.com/Elmers-Multipurpose-White-Glue-E379/dp/B0013CBH9M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305432278&sr=8-1]White Glue[/link]

hudmun 05-14-2011 08:40 PM

I use e6000. get it at a craft store. works great. dosn't cost much. never failed me.

goirish 05-15-2011 03:59 AM

ORIGINAL: hudmun

I use e6000. get it at a craft store. works great. dosn't cost much. never failed me.

You can also get it at Wal-Mart. Cheaper yet.

Top_Gunn 05-15-2011 05:00 AM

I use WeldBond, which you can get at Ace Hardware. It acts a lot like RC56 (or variations), though it seems to me that it's a little less runny.

bob36 05-15-2011 08:19 AM

Both of the hobby shops that I trade at carry the 560 canopy glue I have used it several times with good sucess I will use it again in a couple of days. I have also used it to glue in the plastic pinned hinges and have no failures, good stuff to have in the shop.

Bob36

carrellh 05-15-2011 10:02 AM

Or you can pay $0.20 more for four times the amount of white glue which works just as well.
[link=http://www.amazon.com/Elmers-Multipurpose-White-Glue-E379/dp/B0013CBH9M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305432278&sr=8-1]White Glue[/link]
No more than I use, either bottle is likely to dry up before it is used up.

tenacious101010 05-15-2011 10:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Whoever says canopy glue is the same as elmers glue.... well.......... I just recently tested a number of adhesives and selected canopy glue to secure aluminum sheeting to my 100 inch wingspan BT-13. I sheeted the plane with .080 aluminum roof flashing and atttached it all with canopy glue. The canopy glue is flexible and with the expansion of the aluminum in the Florida heat, a non-flexible glue like elmers, epoxy, or superglue would not hold, too brittle. Canopy glue is also wonderful for coating the threads of screws and bolts to keep them from vibrating out. Use it like loc-tite, its really amazing stuff. Here is a picture of the PROOF.
Denny

tenacious101010 05-15-2011 11:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres the canopy glue I am referring to. If it werent for the canopy glue, this plane wouldnt have been competing at Top Gun this year.