RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   Midwest Extra 300xs Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/3394261-midwest-extra-300xs-build.html)

skycarcass 06-02-2009 11:08 AM

RE: Midwest Extra 300xs Build

Sorry to bother you, but would it be possible to send a copy of the manual to me also please? [email protected]

ORIGINAL: lway45

I sent to this address [email protected]. is this correct?

lway45 06-02-2009 11:43 AM

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: large;">On the way to you Bro.</span></span>

Jmock 10-04-2009 09:05 AM

I was curious if anyone has any left-over wing jig fixtures? Even a pencil-traced copy sent via snail mail would be appreciated. I bought this kit several years ago as a completed fuselage and a broken wing (trailer door and wind) I ordered as much of the wings as Midwest would let me, but inevitably I missed a few parts. I have already made parts B-1 and a few bolt blocks, but I can't "wing" the wing jigs. I would appreciate any help.

Jmock 10-04-2009 09:09 AM

Also, I was considering powering this with a DL55 and then thought...a ZDZ 80 would be nice. Any recommendations between the two?

lway45 10-04-2009 11:06 AM

ORIGINAL: Jmock

Also, I was considering powering this with a DL55 and then thought...a ZDZ 80 would be nice. Any recommendations between the two?
As it stands I am using a 41cc US Engine. It's almost ready to test fly. My back up is a DLE 55, which I was saving for my Pica P-51.

Vinnie6 10-04-2009 02:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of the jigs. They are all 1 inch wide. Use lite ply and 1/4 inch square balsa. Their heights are 9/16", 7/8", and 1 1/4". Number 1, the tallest one, is at the root and the shortest one is at the tip. That may seem backwards, but I assure you it is correct. Number 2 goes at R-5. All three are under the trailing edge of the aileron. The aileron has not yet been cut away from the rest of the wing.

I am building mine with a ZDZ 40. I would not recommend 80cc. Way too much weight and power.

Good luck!

Jmock 10-04-2009 03:03 PM

Thank you both Vinnie6 and Lway45. I appreciate your help. I will hopefully be able to get this up early this season. I wasn't sure if it would be too overweight with the ZDZ 80. I think I will give the DL55 a shot and see how she pulls. I'm hoping for unlimited but not ballistic. I will post pictures of the completed plane once it's done. I also have a 30% Extra 230 that will hopefully also be up next season.

RO-RO 10-05-2009 07:49 AM

Hi there, i am just finishing mine, i am going to use a Turnigy 52 cc engine.

With the zdz 80, is too much, dont do it... the plane is heavy, and with that engine is gona be too much...

Some pictures next week [X(]

Bye bye

RO-RO

KI8FR 10-16-2009 05:19 PM

<span style=''font-family: Comic Sans MS;''><span style=''font-size: large;''>On the way to you Bro.</span></span>

Hate to do this too but can I have on too?

[email protected]

I am trying to fix a crash 300 lol

Paul

lway45 10-16-2009 07:55 PM

LOL not a problem. Good luck with repairs.[sm=wink_smile.gif]

The_Tinker 03-23-2010 06:33 AM

ORIGINAL: KI8FR

<span style=''font-family: Comic Sans MS;''><span style=''font-size: large;''>On the way to you Bro.</span></span>

Hate to do this too but can I have on too?

[email protected]

I am trying to fix a crash 300 lol

Paul
Well, if it's an option, I would kinda like one too;).
[email protected]
Thanks, Micah

lway45 03-23-2010 09:09 AM

LOL it's not a problem. On the way.

RO-RO 03-23-2010 09:19 AM

I just send it.... the plans and the manual... so dont worry...

RO-RO from Chile

ddewey 05-14-2010 02:12 PM

Uhsorry adding to post redundancy, but could someone send me a manual and plans set, too. Just picked up this plane all ready to cover from the estate of a club member. Thanks in advance: [email protected]

RO-RO 06-22-2010 11:27 AM

Now is in your inbox...

RO-RO from Chile

ddewey 06-22-2010 11:32 AM

Thanks! I willl have to get more building done. Have engine tested-DL-50. Now to finish the plane.

RO-RO 07-23-2010 09:19 AM

Hi there..

how finish it... post photos or something...

mine is about to finish in 2 month... (i dont work in it for around 1 year... now restarting)

RO-RO from CHILE

lway45 07-23-2010 01:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mine is done except for the finial cg check. I had a US Engine 41cc in it at first, but I went ahead and replaced it with a DLE-55.
I hope to get the time soon to test fly.

RO-RO 07-23-2010 01:07 PM

nice work.

Tell us how it fly... his performance.. etc.

Buenos vuelos

RO-RO

Crismedicatrix 09-10-2010 10:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Everyone, I have two of the midwest extras, one extra300s with flat tail and one 300xs, just love how strong and on rails they fly.
It would be great to have the manual and plans, if any of you have them still, please send them to me too !!!!! Thanks Cris - [email protected]
The Blue and red one was set up with hitecs 645MG and a 700bb on the rudder. 6 volts 1650mah good for no worry 4 good flights. 1100mah on ignition of a DL 50CC. 23x8 PROP
For landing I mixed flaprons and that slowed the plane quite a bit and landing are no issue at all. Also with flaprons (up and down) it helped a lot in some 3D slowing the plane and giving it a bit more float.
Ailerons are stock but increasing its lengh will help in having more control and snap. Overall it is an outstanding plane. It is not light but it s definatelly fun to fly with a plane that has more mass, going into aerobatics is wow.
It flies On rails, and you can feel how the plane LOCKS on the air in any attitude, great stuff. The size is just right, large enough to see and small enough to carry in my little car, even with the full built wing, no problem.
The American flag one will recieve an electric conversion very soon. Happy flying to all, Cris

RO-RO 09-13-2010 08:35 AM

In the way (extra 300S)

Buenos vuelos

RO-RO

Crismedicatrix 09-13-2010 10:57 AM

Hi RO-RO

Haven´t recieved it !!![:o]
Please send me again !!! [email protected]
Gracias !!!!
Cris

Crismedicatrix 09-15-2010 10:35 AM

HI RO-RO !!!

Hombre nada de planos todavia !!!!!!!QUE PENA !!!!!
por favor send the file to me again !!!!!!!! Loco to see it !!!!
Thanks
Cris

DGrant 01-30-2011 01:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
So... I wonder what happened to digger.. and how his plane is.. I caught this post, as I was searching for new info on these planes. I built one back in '02 that I still have, and I've recently acquired another one thats in need of a restoration... and it was never completed nor flown.. there were just some things on it the original builder didn't really follow through with.

I can tell you the first one has been a dream plane from day one(over 8yrs now).. powered with a BME50, and mild steps were taken to get the finished weight down to 15lbs.. and it just floats..

The one I just acquired though is going to start its new life with a little Zenoah G-38...so I don't expect blazing totally unlimited performance my first one has...

I just want to tell the original poster (digger) what a fantastic job he did on this thread, and that build was fantastic.. I actually read it all and got to this point.. I was hoping it would be done.. I do know all to well though how "life" happens with jobs, family, kids, etc.. I hope he comes back and finishes it.. its such a worthy project.. and really one of the best that I've ever flown. There is truely something to flying a custom built plane.. where you've taken measures to insure alignments, weight, and fine tuned every system in the plane.. so I hope he's reading.. man.. thats a nice build.. it took me back to days I so enjoyed building mine.. I even built a few GreatPlanes Extras too..and worked my way up.. I actually have a GreatPlanes 33% Extra330 kit just waiting for the right time to start it...so .. yeah..I'm liking this thread.. alot.

I'll leave a pic, and link to my post back in 2002 when I completed mine...

Heres' a link: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_26.../tm.htm#268849

eclipso 03-11-2011 11:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi DGrant,

I just went through this whole thread for a change and got to the end and there was not a happy ending haha. I too wonder what happened to digger. Anyway I saw that you only posted a month or so ago, how is the restoration going ? I just received my first Midwest Extra 300s in December. It is running a G62. I have flown it about 20 times already. I also flew it in my first ever Imac competition last most at the Tucson Imac. I love how well this plane flys but at 20 lbs. I plan to do a restoration my self. I am going to take the fabric covering off and do some mods and re do the covering in ultracote.

I think we should resurrect this thread or start a new one with restoration and mods. Let me know I will ad to it with ya.

Here is a pic from my first Imac and how the plane currently looks.

DGrant 03-12-2011 07:58 PM

hello eclipso... Nice looking Extra there. It looks familiar. If memory serves I might have seen it in the classifieds around December or before...very cool though... and I'm sure its a worthy flyer.

My restoration hasn't quite started, as I ran into several more issues with it then I really have time to deal with at the moment. So I'm just going to wrap it up in plastic and sit on it for a bit... Part of that reason is I have a G-38 for power for it, and after evaluating the condition it sits in, and what it will take to get it airworthy, I'm inclined to think it would be more suited to something like a G-62. This is just based on the weight of the components, compared to the weight of my already finished components.

For instance on that... the unfinished wing without covering or servos is considerably heavier(just by picking them up side by side)then the finished wing... It feels like its a pound heavier, and theres not even servos in it. I did take measures on the first one (IE..balsa/CF spars), as well as some careful building, but its a drastic difference.. I'm just not sure if the craftsmanship is up to snuff, and not quite sure how to get it there on a frame that's 99% done...thats what I get for buying something marginally built.. I kind of think I should have searched out a brand new kit, and started from the beginning. But.. live and learn.

Its also got issues with the center wing joint, that has gaps all over the place. The center spar area looks OK, but the rest of it raises flags as to "is it really OK?". The wing to fuse fit is marginal at best,... stuff like that.

Its a very strange piece of work in some ways, as some of it is very decent. The fuselage box itself is built very well, and tight. No gaps, everything lines up as it should, nose to tail..etc. There's a few components(pieces of the frame/engine mount area) that are missing, and some triangle stock was never installed in the frontal areas either... alot of little stuff like that.. which I really knew about, as that was seen before/as I bought it, and that framework was decent enough, I figured it would be a reasonable amount of work to restore... What I didn't see though..............

The plane was covered in a half-hearted attempt by somebody that didn't have any experience with Monokote, and the guy even complained that he'd spent over $100 in covering and it looked terrible. I knew that I was going to take it off, so I didn't really care.. and I could tell that was simply a lack of experience with Monokote.. The rest of the frame that I could see was decently built, so I bought it.

I just recently(about last weekend) was starting the restoration, and pullling that ugly covering off... which came off very easily, as it wasn't layed down correctly. Upon removing the covering on the wing center section is where I ran across the first issue with the wing joint, when the fiberglass simply peeled off..just like that..I mean.. fiberglass doesnt just peel.. this did though. The only way I would have known about this would have been to remove the covering before I bought it.. so I pretty much got took there.. the fiberglass lifting only opened up part of the rest of the problems in that center-section, the gaps, and alignments are all off, and the sheeting is very much scabbed in. The wingbolt mounting blocks are installed differently then the plans call for too...

I mean the whole thing just looks like #1 more then one person worked on it, as the fuselage is decent, and the wing is trash, and #2 it looks like someone completed it without the plans... or any combonation of the above... its just kind of wierd at this point, and I've written to the person I bought it from.. as he said he was the one that built it, and that it was all decent... not so is the case here though. I was in for a restoration, not a complete "lets rebuild the wing"... had I looked into it a bit further, and had he been honest, I don't think I would have bought it.. I would have either bought another Midwest, or just built a whole different kit I have on hand.

But.. yeah.. I'm thinking bigger engine, as it will need it to carry the weight after its rebuilt.. so I'm rethinking it.. I've still got my other one, and fortunately I saved EVERYTHING from that kit, including the plans, all the extra wood, I have all the die-cut sheets it came with, so I have stencils for all the pieces to do the work.. It'll just take me a bit. I'm building a little Dazzler for therapy to recover from this.. and its working. :)

eclipso 03-15-2011 04:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I don't know what the deal is with rcu but I have tried twice already to post with a couple of pics and then then server just hoses up. Anyway here goes again, I decided to rip all the covering off my Midwest Extra 300s because at twenty pounds it just flys way too heavy. I figured there was some damage in the wing and judging by the pics I was right so restoring this thing is going to be good overall. I am going to remove as much of the plywood as I possibly can and I am thinking of converting it to a plug-in style wing tube. Please add your suggestions along the way and I will try to post as many pics as possible.

Well here are some of the before pics with and without covering. This fabric, dope and paint weighed in at 2 lbs. and some change. Wow ! thats gonna save alot weight, Monokote should weigh much less.

eclipso 03-16-2011 02:35 AM

Well I got some more work done today. Looks like I may have to think about starting a new thread so I'm not adding more pages to a very old thread. This thing is going to need alot of work. I found that the original wing build has alot of weight in the center section so it is going to be removed and converted to plug-in wing. Notice the pice of the solid hardwood blocks and fiber glass. Also I attached a pic of a problem a freind of mine spotted. It seems as though the original build was done with the wing lying on its top straight down on the table, so because the wing width tapers from root to tip it made it so the top is flat and the bottom is angled kinda like diehedral<(hope thats spelled right). anyway I should begin cutting sometime tomorrow. Will update when ever possible.

lway45 03-16-2011 05:07 AM

ORIGINAL: eclipso

Hi DGrant,

I just went through this whole thread for a change and got to the end and there was not a happy ending haha. I too wonder what happened to digger. Anyway I saw that you only posted a month or so ago, how is the restoration going ? I just received my first Midwest Extra 300s in December. It is running a G62. I have flown it about 20 times already. I also flew it in my first ever Imac competition last most at the Tucson Imac. I love how well this plane flys but at 20 lbs. I plan to do a restoration my self. I am going to take the fabric covering off and do some mods and re do the covering in ultracote.

<span style="color: rgb(153, 51, 102);"><span style="font-size: larger;">I think we should resurrect this thread or start a new one with restoration and mods</span></span><span style="color: rgb(255, 255, 0);"><span style="font-size: larger;">.</span></span> Let me know I will ad to it with ya.

Here is a pic from my first Imac and how the plane currently looks.

Good idea rather than hijack this one. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../msn/49_49.gif

eclipso 03-17-2011 12:09 AM

Good idea rather than hijack this one.

Not really hijacking I'm not changing content just adding to a really old thread. Whats wrong with bringing new life to an old thread kind like you did when you posted pics of your plane which had nothing to do with diggers thread.

DGrant 03-17-2011 05:40 PM

[font=''Courier New'']Well I got some more work done today. Looks like I may have to think about starting a new thread so I'm not adding more pages to a very old thread. This thing is going to need alot of work. I found that the original wing build has alot of weight in the center section so it is going to be removed and converted to plug-in wing. Notice the pice of the solid hardwood blocks and fiber glass. Also I attached a pic of a problem a freind of mine spotted. It seems as though the original build was done with the wing lying on its top straight down on the table, so because the wing width tapers from root to tip it made it so the top is flat and the bottom is angled kinda like diehedral<(hope thats spelled right). anyway I should begin cutting sometime tomorrow. Will update when ever possible.[/font]

Hello eclipso... the wing is flat on top... thats by the book... Your airframe looks worlds better then this one I just picked up.. but you're inspiring me... to the point that if I didn't have a build thread going on another plane(another site too).. I'd tackle this one.

Do you have the book for this plane? I've got the one for the first version(flat-tail), but I'm sure that's the only diff between the 2 models.

I'll double check that wing thing...but I'm almost sure that wing is supposed to be flat... as its joined upside-down if memory serves. I've got all my notes, plans, and manuals handy.. as I will be using it when I get to my restoration... :)

eclipso 03-17-2011 06:42 PM

DGrant,

Well I'm pleased that I am inspiring you to do your restoration as well. I do not have the book but boy if there was a way you could get a copy electronic or paper I would surely be grateful. I have the flat tail version so that book would be wonderful. I am glad you mentioned the flat top surface I will be sure to leave it as is but I have already cut the wing center section out as I am going to convert it to a plug-in wing with cf wing tube. It is going to be tricky but the rewards will be well worth the effort. I am shooting for 12 lbs with ei converted G62. This thing had loads of pull running vess 22b even when it was at 20 lbs.

Crismedicatrix 03-18-2011 07:45 AM

You can also do some lightning holes in the rear, it can give more flexibility with batt position afterwards

DGrant 03-19-2011 08:02 PM

DGrant,

Well I'm pleased that I am inspiring you to do your restoration as well. I do not have the book but boy if there was a way you could get a copy electronic or paper I would surely be grateful. I have the flat tail version so that book would be wonderful. I am glad you mentioned the flat top surface I will be sure to leave it as is but I have already cut the wing center section out as I am going to convert it to a plug-in wing with cf wing tube. It is going to be tricky but the rewards will be well worth the effort. I am shooting for 12 lbs with ei converted G62. This thing had loads of pull running vess 22b even when it was at 20 lbs.
I can get my book copied easy enough I think... I might still be able to have the plans copied too.. although they're in about 3pieces at this point. I wish you well on that 12lbs... its a good goal.. hopefully you'll still have some plane left to fly after all the trimming. My first one weighs in right at 15lbs.. that's with a BME50, carbon fiber everywhere replacing hardwood, cutting/enlarging lightening holes, lightweight everything... At the time that I built it, 15lbs was a very light 50cc plane.. matter of fact..the Extra wasn't even known as a 50cc plane... It flies incredibly well... with unlimited performance.
The biggest wonder I have on your plan though is the G62... they're pretty hefty engines.. thats for sure.. great power plants mind you, but really not a great engine if weight is an issue. There's alot of other engines that are coming in now that are really nice though for the money.. the DLA55 might be one.. lightweight, said to have good power.. just check the weight specs on that 62 and compare to some current engines.. just an FYI...

Let me see what I can do about getting this book copied.. I think I can take care of that... The plans on the other hand are going to cost me a little bit...if they can even do them since thier cut up.. I dont' see why they can't... its just not one nice big roll anymore is all.. but if they can be done, I'll let you know.

Also... I don't know what you considered about flying wires since your plane has the flat stab.. but the wires are definately IMPORTANT with the flat stab versions... do not fly without them... I used a coated kevlar for those.. same same rigging really... just replace the steel cable with kevlar...I got mine at Don's Hobby,Salina,KS. about 12yrs ago.....I think he still has it though. I got your PM.. and will check it out... yeah .. this site is a pain anymore... hard to know why either. :)

Crismedicatrix 03-20-2011 07:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a pic of my extra 300s (flat tail) with a DL50. I hardly ever needed more than half throttle, even to torque. Don´t worry about it being flat tail, maybe the xs with it´s tail can performe better, but I assure you this flat baby can do anything you want. My plane was 17 pounds wet. It was great to go into tunbling moves as it continued to tumble having a bit more mass, real fun. Had a crash with about 50 flights, and rebuilding it now. I will convert it to electric power. The gasoline smell was bugging me quite a bit. I imagine it being such a smooth flyer as it was, it is going to fly very nice and SMOOTH with electric. Great plane guys !!!

Josue 06-18-2012 04:40 PM

Can you sale me a copy of plans for the Midwest 300 extra? best regards.
Carlos

spaceworm 08-18-2012 08:16 AM

Hi, I am new to gas and wonder if a 33 cc gasser will fly the 330xs? Will a Saito 180 on ignition with glow fuel power it? I am not into extreme flight, just mild acrobatics. Thank you very much.

Sincerely, Richard/Club saito # 635

mustangman177 08-19-2012 04:10 AM

Digger44

Just found your build thread on this plane. Wish I had earlier. I have the sane plane with a OS BGX 3500. and flys great. Did you complete yours and any updates ?

DGrant 08-24-2012 02:09 PM

ORIGINAL: spaceworm

Hi, I am new to gas and wonder if a 33 cc gasser will fly the 330xs? Will a Saito 180 on ignition with glow fuel power it? I am not into extreme flight, just mild acrobatics. Thank you very much.

Sincerely, Richard/Club saito # 635
Although a 33cc gas engine would fly the plane.. Unless the plane was extremely light.. there won't be any kind of performance factor at all. I've heard of these flying with 1.80 Moki(2-stroke glow), but extreme measures were taken in the build that lightened the airframe considerably. I don't think it would cut it even for mild aerobatics. I have seen these fly with something around a 45cc gas engine, and that had somewhat spirited performance.. but I would have to say you'd have to go larger then a 33cc. I have one framed up in my garage that I've contemplated a 38cc Zenoah(heavy engine though)..but I've since reconsidered.. hoping to get into a bigger engine for it. I picked it up for a practice plane, so I can save my 50cc powered plane for event flying. If you can get a hold of a 50.. thats your ticket really.. nothing flies like these with a 50. My Extra is unlimited with the BME50.. but I recomend either a bigger engine for this plane, or a smaller plane for your engine. :)

CM1scw 08-25-2012 03:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
In the process of covering my 300s now. Picked it up a few years ago already complete and it was a heavy build. shaved over 2 pounds off and power is from a BME44, final weight should be in the 12-13 lbs range. Plan on getting this in hte air this year, included is a picture of the wing top, decals to be added later.