RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   RC Ken and MinnFlyer have joined forces (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/7316610-rc-ken-minnflyer-have-joined-forces.html)

RCKen 04-02-2008 10:35 PM

RE: RC Ken and MinnFlyer have joined forces

It should have generated you a password immediately and emailed it out to you. PM me you're email address and I'll get it right to you.

Ken

n19htmare 04-02-2008 11:23 PM

It's not big worries, We all know who reliable paypal processing can be :)

RCKen 04-02-2008 11:33 PM

n19htmare ,
I PM'ed as well as emailed your your access info. Sorry for the mix up.

Ken

n19htmare 04-03-2008 12:38 AM

Ok. I have watched some of the videos....and.......

THEY'RE GREAT!

If you're a Beginner, It doesn't matter if you bought a Kit or ARF or RTF. These videos are MUST. They are very hands on and explain everything.

For the past week, I downloaded the building guide for my planes that is en-route to familiarize my self and the more I was reading the darn book, the more confusing it got. BTW, this is for the AVISTAR, go download their guide and see for your self. In the 2nd page, they mention some changes that need to be made to the so and so page number but the page numbers are not even the correct ones lol. These happen to be how to install nose gear/ailerons/rudder/clevis/elevator. I downloaded the videos that had to with all that, It explained all I need to know. In just 30 minutes, I know how to properly install the Nose gear, Ailerons, Rudder, Elevator, how to make pushrod and tons of other things. I like that Ken and Minnflyer separated the videos so one can get just what they need. I didn't buy a kit so I didn't get those videos but I think I will now.

The videos made perfect sense and now that I go back re-read the manual, it all made sense.

All you newbies, ORDER THE VIDEOS. Probably the best $25 you'll spend to save your $400 or whatever plane.

Again, Great Job fellas.

Footnote: I am in no way affiliated with the makers of Getting Airborne. I'm just stoked that what I could not figure out in reading the Manual 5 times, I figured out in just a matter of minutes. Again, everything I said is my personal opinion/view.

-pkh- 04-03-2008 09:09 AM

I'll put in a plug for the videos as well. I've been flying for a few years, but never built a kit. I started watching the kit building videos last night, and I think I have enough confidence to try building one myself, now!

After watching the videos, I do have a couple questions for Ken and Mike:
1) Did you guys use thin or medium CA when you glued the wing ribs to the spars? Looks like the spar fit down into the notch in the ribs, and then you squirted some CA on both sides of the rib notch where the spar meets it. Does medium CA soak in enough to glue it well, or did you use thin CA?
2) The flat bottomed trainer wing seemed to lay nice and flat on your building board for construction. Do symmetrical wings pose other problems when building on a flat surface?
3) The "Covering the Stab" video showed how to cover the top of the stabilizer, but when you cover the other side, how much overlap do you have around the edges?

Thanks!

gboulton 04-03-2008 09:18 AM

Ya know...

If those videos have this kind of impact on bringing more builders into the hobby, I may just order a set myself just as a thank you to Minn and Ken. *heh*

Kudos AGAIN, guys.

RCKen 04-03-2008 09:23 AM

ORIGINAL: -pkh-

1) Did you guys use thin or medium CA when you glued the wing ribs to the spars? Looks like the spar fit down into the notch in the ribs, and then you squirted some CA on both sides of the rib notch where the spar meets it. Does medium CA soak in enough to glue it well, or did you use thin CA?
You can use either thin CA, medium CA, or wood glue. You have to adjust how you work accordingly for each type. For medium CA or wood glue you would put glue on the piece and then place it on spar and hold it in place (with wood glue you'll need to brace it while the glue dries) until the glue dries. For thin CA you place the rib in place on the spar, and when you are happy with the fit you can glue it in place with thin CA. If you are going to use thin CA I recommend that you frame up the all of the ribs and the top spar before you hit it with CA. Make sure everything is in place and it all fits nicely. When you're happy with the fit then glue the ribs in place with thin CA. For wood glue (which is what I prefer, BTW) I frame up all of the ribs and then lift each rib to put glue on it.

2) The flat bottomed trainer wing seemed to lay nice and flat on your building board for construction. Do symmetrical wings pose other problems when building on a flat surface?
For wings that DON'T have a flat bottom wing the manufacturer will usually take care of this for you. Each rib will have a "tab" on it that will hold up the trailing edge of the ribs in the proper position while you assemble the wing. Then you will turn it over and break off the tabs. Another trick that they will have you to is place a piece of wood that is the correct height under the trailing edge of the wing to hold it up while you build. The Ultra Sport kits do this method.

If you read my Sig LT-40 build thread you will see a little more about framing up a wing.
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3439708/tm.htm]Pay It Forward build thread!! LT-40 build.[/link]

3) The "Covering the Stab" video showed how to cover the top of the stabilizer, but when you cover the other side, how much overlap do you have around the edges?
Usually about 1/4" or so.

Hope this helps

Ken

housedad 04-03-2008 02:46 PM

Well, I bought and downloaded all the videos, and they are great!!

That's a lotta stuff to watch!!! My youngest daughter just got home from school, and she is watching them on the widescreen in the family room. I cut them onto a DVD with menus so we can watch them together while eating popcorn.

Gotta get back, she's calling me with questions!!!

TakingFlight96 04-03-2008 06:14 PM

Wonderful Job ! Being a beginner, this site was very helpful and put together very nicely. Thanks.

-- TakingFlight96

Warbird Joe 04-03-2008 07:12 PM

WOW!!!!!!! [X(] Great site guys. This is by far one of the best sites out there for RCing. I don't think you guys could have done a better job if you tried. As always thanks again Ken and Minn.

Mooney_driver 04-03-2008 10:05 PM

Ken and Mike, that is a great site.

There are three things that I would like to see and perhaps those are on your "to do" list but I would like to see printer friendly options or pages in PDF for easy printing. I print web pages so that I can keep them. This site is a very good one and so provides excellent reference. For that reason. I keep it, and other sites I have found that look appealing, with my reference and how to books.

The second item that I think should be added is a page that lists the suggested minimum tools to have when building a kit or repairing a plane. This question seems to be one that almost every beginner asks. I know that the question has been answered many many times on RCU but every beginner has that question (whether we ask it or not).

The third item I would like to see is a page that suggests what to have in your flight box (and what kind of flight box to get--such as "don't build a box you can not carry").

Thank you for an excellent web site.

somegeek 04-04-2008 01:37 AM

PDFCreator is a free program you can use to print documents to pdf format.

RCKen 04-04-2008 05:24 AM

Mooney Driver,
I started to convert the major content of the site to PDF before I left for Toledo. Mike and I are in Toledo covering the [link=http://www.toledoshow.com]Weak Signals Show[/link] for RCU. When I get back home I'll try to work on getting that project finished up. We'll definitely work on getting the items you suggested added to the site as well.

Ken

CGRetired 04-04-2008 06:29 AM

Hey Ken and Mike!! How's Toledo? Yeah, sure.. bust my bunns.. Ok.. I can take it.. [:@] ;) :D

Lots of great suggestions. A definite for a link on our club Web Page. There are going to be hundreds of suggestions, some good some not so good. Take all of this to heart because I am sure everyone means well and wants this to succeed. It's hard work and, as you guys can see, very rewarding based on the very positive replies and suggestions. You guys realized that this will never end, right? ;) I applaud you guys for taking on the task. Great job.

Do you guys get a bonus or at least a pay raise for this? ;)

Hank :D (Dick)

MinnFlyer 04-07-2008 04:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

Hey Ken and Mike!! How's Toledo?
We had a terrible time as you can see

RCKen 04-07-2008 04:50 PM

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

Hey Ken and Mike!! How's Toledo?
We had a terrible time as you can see
Oh yes, it was pure hell!!!!! ;) :D

Ken

weathervane 04-07-2008 06:58 PM

Ken, Mike.
I just took a look at the site. It looks great. You guys should be proud of the work you have put into it. Well done.

-Andrew

It was cool seeing you guys in Toledo.

MinnFlyer 04-08-2008 05:49 AM

Nice meeting you too Andrew!

[AKA]StraferX 04-08-2008 07:51 AM

Very nice site! I found your site to be very informative and easy to follow. A Must see site for all expecially those getting started.

MinnFlyer 04-10-2008 11:09 AM

Once I have finished editing the videos from the Toledo Show I hope to add more content. But right now I'm swamped with vids and with spring approaching, the reviews are starting to come in, so we'll see how much free time I get

agexpert 04-10-2008 09:37 PM

Guys,

The site is good. It's not great, but it has the potential to really reach beginners in this fine hobby.

You guys are truly dedicated to bringing new flyers into this hobby and I admire you both for that. IN FACT, both of you helped me through that time. There is so much to learn, and so many IDIOTS who can steer you wrong

Thanks for your dedication!

MinnFlyer 04-11-2008 12:20 AM

Well, we are always interested in hearing about ways to make it great

superflea 04-14-2008 05:34 PM

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

So, where''s the transexual nazi eskimos spanking spanish nuns website? http://www.minnartist.net/RCU/grafix/scool.gif

I was kinda wondering About that myself.. Also wondering wondering HOW he found such a site....;)

Great site. I have a guy at work looking to get back in to the hobby after a few unsuccessful tries years ago. Wrong plane (helicopter)
Wrong Trainer (himself)
Wrong Attitude ( this is easy)

But now With a new copy of tower''s catalog in hand and the best advise i know to give, get a trainer either 40 or 60 sized, and hook up on a cord, and now with a website to point him to he might even make it this time.

Flyboy76 04-15-2008 12:08 PM

ORIGINAL: agexpert

Guys,

The site is good. It''s not great, but it has the potential to really reach beginners in this fine hobby.

You guys are truly dedicated to bringing new flyers into this hobby and I admire you both for that. IN FACT, both of you helped me through that time. There is so much to learn, and so many IDIOTS who can steer you wrong

Thanks for your dedication!
I disagreee with that not great statement, but agree with everything else you wrote. This site is perfect, of course there are thousands of people who will visit it and have ideas that can make things even easier but to say that this site is not great almost offends me on their behalf. After reading and watching all that they have to offer plus the availability to reach them here on top of it makes it the best site there is!! and thats GREAT!!

Geoff Bedard

danny31292 05-04-2008 07:30 PM

[sm=thumbup.gif]
You guys might want to include your rcu user names in the about page. That way readers know who you guys are when they come to rcu.

Great job
Dan