RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   RC Ken and MinnFlyer have joined forces (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/7316610-rc-ken-minnflyer-have-joined-forces.html)

Kavik Kang 05-19-2008 02:09 PM

RE: RC Ken and MinnFlyer have joined forces

Hey Ken and Minn,

I am getting ready to actually get my first plane. I am one of those video gamers you mention and had been planning on going with a Hangar 9 Arrow. But then your new site here lists both the Pulse XT and Goldberg Tiger II as intermediate trainers in the same class with the Arrow. Could I learn with a Pulse XT or Tiger II and just forget about the Arrow altogether or did you intend the intermediate list more as a "second plane" list?

I'd much rather go with a Pulse XT or Tiger II if it won't be too much for me.

-pkh- 05-19-2008 02:32 PM

I believe the Hobbico Avistar, the Goldberg Falcon, and the Hangar-9 Arrow are all in the same class: High wing, semi-symmetric airfoil, with a little dihedral (not as much as most flat-bottom basic trainers). I'm not sure why they list the Avistar in the Basic Trainer category, and the Falcon and Arrow in the Intermediate Trainer category. I started with an Avistar myself, and I believe any of these three planes should work fine as your first trainer. They are not much harder to learn on than a basic flat-bottom trainer, and they have a little more aerobatic capability, so you won't get board with them as quickly.

Any of the low wing planes on their "Intermediate Trainer" list should definitely be considered only for a second plane.

MinnFlyer 05-19-2008 03:05 PM

Kavik, If you've got a qualified instructor and a buddy box, I see no reason why you couldn't start out with either of thos planes.

RCKen 05-19-2008 03:10 PM

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Kavik, If you've got a qualified instructor and a buddy box, I see no reason why you couldn't start out with either of thos planes.
Agreed!

ken

Kavik Kang 05-20-2008 10:45 AM

ORIGINAL: RCKen

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Agreed!

ken
That's great... because I really just don't like high-wing planes all that much. I think I am just going to start out with a PulseXT. I have already become very good in the simulator over the winter and with an instructor I would think that I could skip the high wing plane and start with a docile low wing plane. If you two agree, then that gives me the confidence to go that route. What the heck, if I crash it maybe I'll replace the PulseXT with a Goldberg Tiger II:-)

Now I just have to re-consider the DX7 controller I had decided on since atfer a few months away from here I am seeing ads for a new equivilant Futaba now...

MinnFlyer 05-20-2008 11:00 AM

Yes, you didn't mention the simulator earlier, but if you've gotten good on a sim, then you can easily start with a Pulse, Tiger II or any of the other intermediate trainers which are available (again, proving your are buddying with an instructor.

One final note: You should start learning the proper terminology - It's not a "Controller" we prefer to call it a "Transmitter"

RCKen 05-20-2008 11:21 AM

The key to all of what Mike and I are saying is the instructor. If you have a good instructor that is willing to train you this plane then there is no reason why you can't try it. But if the instructor isn't willing, or is hesitant, to train you then you might want to reconisider getting an intermediate trainer to learn on. The instructor is the key to it all. With the right instructor a person could learn on just about anything
Ken

Kavik Kang 05-20-2008 12:41 PM

The key to all of what Mike and I are saying is the instructor. If you have a good instructor that is willing to train you this plane then there is no reason why you can't try it. But if the instructor isn't willing, or is hesitant, to train you then you might want to reconisider getting an intermediate trainer to learn on. The instructor is the key to it all. I with the right instructor a person could learn on just about an

Ken
Hmmm.... Ok then, I guess I will go back to the field and talk to the instructors there. I'll get an Arrow with the gear switch to a PulseXT later if they insist, or just start with a PulseXT if the instructor doesn't mind. It's been a lot of fun spending my free time at work looking into this since last fall, I'm guessing finally actually having a plane will be even more fun.

Minn: Yes... Calling it anything other than a "controller" will probably take little getting used too:-)

Mcky 05-25-2008 04:09 AM

Excellent work :)

OzMo 05-25-2008 06:07 PM

saved it to favorites for my new students.[8D] thanks

lovesky 06-07-2008 01:41 AM

that is something!you are so great ! congratulations!:):)

lovesky 06-07-2008 01:44 AM

that is something !you are so great !congratuations!

HampdenTech 07-05-2008 07:54 PM

Hi Ken and Mike,

First I want to thank you and Mike for putting out such in depth videos on construction. I think build threads are great but it’s much better to see a kit actually built from start to finish.

I noticed in your videos that on the kit you are working on you install the tail and stabilizer and then cover it on the fuselage. I have also seen this done the other way with the tail and stabilizer covered separately and then installed later.

I’m wondering why you chose to do it this way. I have a kit on my building board now and the covering is being shipped so I’ll be ready to start in about a week. Would you recommend that I do it this way or is it more a matter of choice? For what it’s worth, the designer of the kit I’m building, Pat Tritle, covered the components first and then assembled. The kit is a 31.5” Eugly Stick that I selected partly to hone my building skills and partly to have a fun aerobatic flyer that I can take to the park. If you’re curious, here’s his build thread…

[link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439455]Eugly Stick Build Thread[/link]

I think the next kit I'll tackle will be the LT-40 so the videos will definately come in handy!

Thanks again for these great videos and for all of the great advice that you and Mike offer through RCUnverse!

Bob

RCKen 07-05-2008 08:24 PM

Bob,
Here's why we do it this way.

First, the tail feathers need to be square on the fuselage in order to make a plane that flies straight. It's much easier to work on the tail section if the covering isn't getting in your way as you work on the tail feathers.

Second, covering. When you cover first and then assemble there is a seam left in the covering where fuel residue and exhaust can seep under the covering. But if you assemble first you can start covering by first cutting a small strip of covering and use that to cover the corners of where the tail sections meet. Then when you cover the tail sections you covering right up to the where they meet, which will be over the strip you just put in. This will leave no gaps or seams where fuel or exhaust can seep under. If you look at my LT-40 build thread you can see pictures of this and it should be a lot clearer what I am talking about.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3439708/tm.htm]Pay It Forward build thread!! LT-40 build.[/link]

Hope this helps

Ken

tIANci 07-06-2008 12:00 AM

Ken ... tried to go to your website, can't load at all. How come? Thanks!

HampdenTech 07-06-2008 06:53 AM

Bob,
Here's why we do it this way.

First, the tail feathers need to be square on the fuselage in order to make a plane that flies straight. It's much easier to work on the tail section if the covering isn't getting in your way as you work on the tail feathers.

Second, covering. When you cover first and then assemble there is a seam left in the covering where fuel residue and exhaust can seep under the covering. But if you assemble first you can start covering by first cutting a small strip of covering and use that to cover the corners of where the tail sections meet. Then when you cover the tail sections you covering right up to the where they meet, which will be over the strip you just put in. This will leave no gaps or seams where fuel or exhaust can seep under. If you look at my LT-40 build thread you can see pictures of this and it should be a lot clearer what I am talking about.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3439708/tm.htm]Pay It Forward build thread!! LT-40 build.[/link]

Hope this helps

Ken
Hi Ken,

Thanks for the reply. That makes sense. The second reason doesn't really apply in this case as the kit I'm building now is an electric but I can see the advantage of doing it that way with a "wet" plane (my next project). I guess that's another advantage of a kit over an ARF!

Bob

RCKen 07-06-2008 06:54 AM

ORIGINAL: tIANci

Ken ... tried to go to your website, can't load at all. How come? Thanks!
Try it now and you should be able to get in.

Ken

MinnFlyer 07-06-2008 09:34 PM

Even if fuel doesn't get in there, there is still a seam that can lift in the wind.

Also, when building first, then covering, there is no difference between a first covering job, and a re-covering job (Should you ever decide to re-cover a plane)

And thanks for the nice words!

ag4ever 07-21-2008 01:06 PM

Ken & Mike,

The site looks great. If I had one sugestion, it would be to have a glossery section for all the terms that are thrown around. Lots of new fliers would love to have a consolidated location for all the terms we use.

RCKen 07-21-2008 01:12 PM

ag4ever,
This is something that is on our "To-Do" list. We're working on more content for the site.

Another item coming soon will be a new video set. This video set will be for assembling an ARF trainer.

Ken

MinnFlyer 07-21-2008 01:16 PM

Yes, we have lots of updates and improvements planned for the site, but right now we're up to our butts in product reviews. Once summer is over and we get our plates cleared off we'll be back at it.

beachyboy429 07-24-2008 11:45 AM

Ken and Minn,

my girlfriend is pregnant and its not mine! What should i do?!
haha just kidding but thanks guys for everything youre doing and making this great hobby easier for the beginners!

[sm=thumbup.gif]
Michael

beachyboy429 07-24-2008 11:51 AM

I found a "RC terms" glossary online somewhere. ill try to find it again and that'd probably save you guys some time..

http://www.rcplanetalk.com/rc-glossary.html <- Has a couple terms

http://rcvehicles.about.com/od/airgl...t_Glossary.htm <- GREAT glossary, search by letter + list

http://www.buyfastelectricrc.com/rc_...logy_guide.cfm < afew terms

http://moneyfor20s.about.com/blrcglossary.htm <- good glossary

p.s. i just googled "RC terminology" and those were the first 4 or 5 links. hope they help

snoop 07-24-2008 10:09 PM

Thanks Ken and MinnFlyer for the website. Great that you two put that useful information together for beginners. I'm looking forward to the ARF assembly videos for help with my ARF Goldberg Eagle II build. :D

TedMo 08-07-2008 04:56 PM

Have seen all the compliments you have deservedly received but just had to add mine. I'm 82 years young and have built all types of models since I was about 10. Got into RC during escapement days and made the usual progressions since then ( with few years off for family raising).As well as 3 yrs. in Navy during WW2. In all those years I have never seen anything as well done as you 2 guys have put together. Kinda makes me wish I was just starting out now. What a difference a few (70) years make haaa. If anyone cannot learn from what you have done they are in wrong hobby ( collecting stamps might be their thing). I at one time used to fly in pattern but have mellowed a great deal and now just enjoy getting out and having fun with my Spektrum (what a radio)!!!. Again congradulations an a job VERY WELL DONE.