Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives
Reload this Page >

Capacitors on Speed 400 - this one from Slinger kit.

Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Capacitors on Speed 400 - this one from Slinger kit.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 07:14 PM
X3n0

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Capacitors on Speed 400 - this one from Slinger kit.

Heys guys. this is my first plane.

I have a stock GP Slinger with the stock Speed 400 brushed motor. The esc I have is a the electrifly C25 brushed ESC...the instructions for the esc ask me to solder the included capacitors on the motor. BUT this motor already appears to have what maybe capacitors on it. they look like little mustard blobs. what should I do.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:33 PM
jdetray

Default RE: Capacitors on Speed 400 - this one from Slinger kit.

If the motor already has capacitors on it, you probably don't need to add any more.

- Jeff
Old 11-17-2010, 10:30 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Yep as Jeff stated. The capacitors are used to help prevent electrical noise/interference problems. If you use it as it and are getting an interference problem try adding the ones that came with the esc. Way, way back when, I can remember seeing these motors with three capacitors and a diode soldered to them to help quiet up the motors.

And a tip. Water break in the motor. It helps seat the brushes and tends to quiet it up, and makes it a little more efficient, as the brushes transfer more power to the motor and less is wasted to sparking.

Easy to do. Glass of water, your motor and a D or C cell flashlight battery. Hook the motor to the battery and drop the motor into the glass of water. You'll see the water froth up and turn gray. That's the debris from the brushes wearing into the contact rings on the motor. The water keeps the motor cool, and pulls the debris away from it.

Run the motor for a couple of minutes or until the battery goes dead. You can change out the water to check for additional debris as the brushes seat.

Once done, blow out the motor to remove any left over water, and lube the two bushings with something like sewing machine or 3 in 1 oil.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:49 AM
jdetray

In case it is not obvious, only BRUSHED motors need capacitors and benefit from water break-in.

Do NOT do either of these things with a brushless motor.

- Jeff
Old 11-17-2010, 10:59 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Yep try this on a brushless and it could be shocking to say the least, and more then likely all the magic smoke will leak out.