Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Choice of Speed Controller - cut out?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 09:22 PM
xphasor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choice of Speed Controller - cut out?

To run an GWS electric motor (IPS-CB) on a 7.2V NiCd, I want to use one of the tiny GWS Electronic Speed Controllers with Battery Eliminator Circuit.
The smallest of these, the IC-50 will handle up to 2 amp, which should be fine for this power system, but it has no cut out. I can handle the idea of landing dead stick, but without a dedicated RX power source, I don't want to have the model suddenly go Free Flight on me a 300ft!
Would I be better to go with the next ESC, the IC-100, which handles up to 5amp and has a cut out to retain enough power for the RX even after the motor can no longer run?
Does this larger ESC provide as good control over the low currents that my set up will be running at?
Anyone with general experience of these electric speed controllers?
Thanks for any insight wnyone has - this is my first foray into electric power!
Old 03-13-2004, 10:57 PM
NMPhi767

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Choice of Speed Controller - cut out?

I have used the ICS-100 with the GWS IPS motor which is used with the slow stick model. I am not sure but I think that it is similar in amp draw to the motor you are using. I never had any problems with it at all with this tiny little motor. It worked well throughout the entire throttle spectrum. I definitely recomend the battery eliminator circuit because landing a GWS parkflyer deadstick is usually not difficult, but losing servo control is asking for trouble.