Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Electris Newbie seeks HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 12:05 PM
wollins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electris Newbie seeks HELP!

Ok, it seems as though one has to be a rocket scientist to undertstand this hobby! The terminolgy etc is KILLING me! Anyway ... here are my questions:

1. How do you know what size motor to use?

2. How do you know what size ESC to use ... (I get a sense that ithis is based on the ampage "draw" of the motor so how do you find THAT out?)

3. How do you know what size prop to use?
How do you knwo what size of battery pack to use?

4. What's the difference between a geared motor and a direct drive motor and when should one use one over the other?

5. I have a Piper Cub that has a wingspan of 54 inches and a recommended weight of about 30 oz when done. What motor, esc, prop and battery pack does one suggest that I use for that size of plane?

HELP!!
Old 06-30-2004, 02:18 PM
hexonxonx
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Electris Newbie seeks HELP!

question#1experience and even some times thats wrong most motor manufacturers give sugestions regarding battery and prop with amp ratings for different configurations
#2amp draw you are correct. a small12mm motor with gear drive and 8x4.3 will take under 5 amps a speed 400 direct drive takes about 15amps and speed 500 direct drive 20-25amps . prop used and battery used will effect amp draw.
#3a motor manufacturer will have guidelines
#3b motor manufacturer will have guidelines
#4 geared motor will have gear reduction to swing a large diameter prop slowly,similar to 1st gear in an automobile.a direct drive has the prop on the end of the motor shaft (directly)that is for a smaller diameter but spinning very fast,there is an exception regarding external rotor brushless,they are direct drive that swing large props at lower rpm.
#5 is sort of out of my league but ill take a shot.speed 600 w 3:1 gear reduction ,30 amp esc(just to be safe,actual amp draw should be less but that depends on prop use). im unsure of prop but i will at least say the largest diameter you can fit and still have acceptable ground clearence.finaly battery,i have had good luck using 8 cell nimh from radio shack,the ones they sell for their r/c cars mine weigh in @7 1/2 ounces but thats just my two cents definatly listen to second and third oppions gotta go good luck

oh yeh direct drive is sort of like high gear ,fast once your up to speed but can be boged down by over controlling the plane or too steep of a climb external rotor brushless are the exception to the rule,they behave similar to gear reduction but are direct drive but do not spin as fast as internal rotor.its alot all at once stick with it & and you will know it all. rcu is a great tool