Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

what gear box for mega 22-10-5

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 08:58 AM
celiddell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what gear box for mega 22-10-5

I have a mega 22-10-5 and would like to get a gear box for it, but i don't know what sort or what gear ratio i should be looking for. It will be going into a p51 48" wing span and will probably way around 900-1000 grams. I would like too swing a 12" prop. Any idea's (is this motor ok for this)
Old 01-14-2005, 02:37 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: what gear box for mega 22-10-5

Gear ratio's going to depend on the battery you use. Personally, I would go with a 10-cell NiCd/NiMH or preferably, a 3S LiPoly pack. They're roughly equivalent.

You might gather some hints from Mega's USA website, www.megamotorusa.com... Maybe not... I just looked and the example configurations for this motor are pretty slim. You ought to be able to crunch some numbers with pcalc at www.flydma.com, though.

What you need is a couple of limitations, things to look for. You're looking for around 200-250 Watts input power, which should be somewhere in the low 20's for Amps. So, you've got a prop, a battery, and a target current. All you need to do is tweak the gear ratio value and prop pitch. Just keep in mind that you generally can't get just any gear ratio.

Shooting from the hip, I would guess aroud 3:1 for the ratio with a 12x8 prop.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:09 PM
celiddell

Default RE: what gear box for mega 22-10-5

thanks for the help, any idea's on good brand of gearbox for the motor (not to $$$$$)