Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Match my motor to an appropriate plane

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 10:07 PM
IFlySlowPlanes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Match my motor to an appropriate plane

I bought an AXI 2826/10 for my yet-to-be-built GP Siren,but now I'm having second thoughts. First of all, this motor is a very tight fit in the fuse of a Siren. Despite the raves it gets elsewhere, I'm not convinced that it's the best choice for this application. Mainly I'm concerned about the wiring rubbing against the rotating can. OK, so it looks like I'll switch to a Multiplex geared setup instead, which should give me plenty of warmliner performance.

Which brings me to the real question: What plane whould be a good fit for the AXI 2826/10? 3-D performance would be nice, but it's not a requirement. I'd be happy with something that's maybe at the upper end of what would be suitable for park flying since I have plenty of room in a nearby park.

Let the debate begin!
Old 10-18-2005, 11:32 AM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Match my motor to an appropriate plane

AXI 2826: This is one of the reasons I like AXI. Look up the thrust # for the motor at hobby lobby or other dealer. Multiply 150% of the thrust or 200% or what ever power to weight ratio you want and check out any and all desired aircraft against its weight and the motors thrust. Adjust total weight for battery and controller. Not perfect, but have yet to get a underpowered setup. My thought is that if a manufactdurer does not care enough to give you performance numbers that help in their applications, I will go some where that works to help the customer. Thats why "motor calk" came into the hobby and one of the reasons people stayed away from electrics. Now most give you the numbers, ones that do not, do not buy! Prefer to spend my time flying and building, not doing calculations based on estimates. I like AXI as well as Hackers, neither has let me down. Hackers have had a high price in the past, now competitive. Try www.rcxplanes.com for the best prices on Hackers, and best flying foamys I have found. Want to do a knife edge harrier, try their Extra 330L, or their Illusion for all around great flying. Are from depron, very tough as foamys go. Great service and product advice. Most newbys use minimum sized controllers, the max motor draw 25 amps so use a 25 amp controller. No, I would use a 35 to get all available power out of the battery when needed. When flying, you must be carefull not to abuse high throttle or you may kill the battery. With electrics, throttle control is king. Learn to conserve energy until needed. Enjoy