Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Problem with electrics

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 12:16 PM
toprudder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with electrics

The problem is trying to figure out the proper equipment to use.

The motor manufacturers seem to each have their own designations for model number. Glow fuel engines at least have standardized displacement values, and usually have useful rpm ranges and prop sizes listed. If I have a particular glow-powered plane that I am trying to electrify, how the heck am I supposed to figure out if a given motor will work with it?

I go to the local LHS (nobody there flies RC) and they don't have a clue. For instance, my son bought a slow-stick, and they sold us the wrong ESC (for a car) and battery (3S instead of a 2S). So much for the LHS. I have to stick with the recommended setups included in whatever kit I am looking at.

I acquired an EFLM220 motor and gearbox (370 can motor) and try as I might, I can find absolutely NO specifications online regarding voltage and current rating. The most I have been able to glean from RCU is that none of the Can motors last very long on 3 cell lipos, except a few people say they will last if the current is kept low. How low?? I don't know. Can't get an answer to that question.

I read information about "I used a BubbaBrand X20 motor on mine -- works great!!" I go to the BubbaBrand website and there are a half dozen versions of the X20 with different windings and kV ratings. Ok, how do I translate that into the best setup for my plane? Sometimes the websites will include voltage/wattage ratings with different props - that is exactly the information I need, but most of the time this information is not provided. I will say the HobbyLobby seems to be better than the others I have seen.

Don't get me wrong, I love electric (and I have been flying glow-power for 30 years) but I think the manufacturers, at least most of them, need to provide more useful information.

RCU is a good source of info -- most of the time. Twice I have come to the electric section to ask questions, and come away confused.

(climbing down off my soapbox).

Bob R.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:07 PM
Troy-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Problem with electrics

Sometimes it feels like you need an electrical engineering degree to choose the right power system for electrics, but once you get the basics down and find sources for information it gets a little easier. There are so many more variables in E-power than glow to deal with. It's the benefit and curse at the same time.

I have found RCUniverse only mildly useful for electrics. It's getting better but it seems like more gas guys switching over to E-power in the same situation as you (my personal observation). If you buy a manuf. kit and buy their suggested power set up, you're good to go. If you stray outside and do something else, you're on your own.

There are only a few manufacturers that are doing what you are asking, E-flight being one of them. They list their motors as .15, .46, .60 power equivelents. The other guys are assuming you know how to read through the stats and pick a motor. Even I struggle through the endless possibilities and I've been flying E-power for 12 years so don't feel bad.

Here's what I suggest, use a free online [link=http://brantuas.com/ezcalc/dma1.asp]E-calculator program [/link] to play around with different set ups. Maybe one of yours is listed in the drop down list. Also, go [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=357]here[/link] to search for your motor specs. Many guys have used that motor combo in many different configurations.

You are basically learning a new language in the gas to E conversion. You have 30 years in one language and now you have to figure out how to navigate through a new one. Don't give up.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:57 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

I have found the Hobby Lobby catalog a great reference as to what battery/motor/esc is required. The list them for all their planes and they have quite a bunch. Find something similar to what you are flying and use their recommendation as a guide. Radical R/C is also a gold mine of information if you talk to Dave Thacker - he will not steer you wrong.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:40 PM
toprudder

ORIGINAL: Troy-RCU
Sometimes it feels like you need an electrical engineering degree to choose the right power system for electrics, but once you get the basics down and find sources for information it gets a little easier. There are so many more variables in E-power than glow to deal with. It's the benefit and curse at the same time.

I have found RCUniverse only mildly useful for electrics. It's getting better but it seems like more gas guys switching over to E-power in the same situation as you (my personal observation). If you buy a manuf. kit and buy their suggested power set up, you're good to go. If you stray outside and do something else, you're on your own.

There are only a few manufacturers that are doing what you are asking, E-flight being one of them. They list their motors as .15, .46, .60 power equivelents. The other guys are assuming you know how to read through the stats and pick a motor. Even I struggle through the endless possibilities and I've been flying E-power for 12 years so don't feel bad.

Here's what I suggest, use a free online [link=http://brantuas.com/ezcalc/dma1.asp]E-calculator program [/link] to play around with different set ups. Maybe one of yours is listed in the drop down list. Also, go [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=357]here[/link] to search for your motor specs. Many guys have used that motor combo in many different configurations.

You are basically learning a new language in the gas to E conversion. You have 30 years in one language and now you have to figure out how to navigate through a new one. Don't give up.
Thanks for the links.

BTW, I don't have an EE degree, but have been working in electrical/electronics for years, I understand current*voltage = power, so I guess I am slightly ahead of most. Maybe that is part of the problem, just about everything I work with has specifications that I can easily reference. :-)

Also, the 370 can motor I mentioned was from E-Flite. I could not find any info on it. Their higher-end motors have information available.

Bob R.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:07 PM
Troy-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Ahh, ok. I think it is the same as this one... http://www.aeromicro.com/Catalog/370...ds__804166.htm

For that type of motor you are most likely going to want a 10-15amp esc. Castle Creations or any GWS supplier carries nice little esc's with BEC. You can usually run three servos off of the BEC.

You are pretty limited to 2 cell Lipos on these, they burn up on 3 sooner. I think 8-9 amps is about the max on these.

I hate to say it but most LHS's aren't going to stock what you need for electrics unless they are in an area where a lot of electrics are flown. I've only had one good LHS stock useful parts and info and the major chains are generally impossible to get good help in.

Old 04-21-2006, 03:58 PM
toprudder

ORIGINAL: Troy-RCU

Ahh, ok. I think it is the same as this one... http://www.aeromicro.com/Catalog/370...ds__804166.htm

For that type of motor you are most likely going to want a 10-15amp esc. Castle Creations or any GWS supplier carries nice little esc's with BEC. You can usually run three servos off of the BEC.

You are pretty limited to 2 cell Lipos on these, they burn up on 3 sooner. I think 8-9 amps is about the max on these.

I hate to say it but most LHS's aren't going to stock what you need for electrics unless they are in an area where a lot of electrics are flown. I've only had one good LHS stock useful parts and info and the major chains are generally impossible to get good help in.
Yep, that looks like the one. Interesting thing is, I have what looks like the same motor (370 Can) on my Blade CP Heli, and it runs on a 3 cell lipo. IIRC, about 9 amps, I'll have to double check.

To keep the current down with 3 cells, I understand the load must be reduced, which means a higher rpm. I guess the higher rpm will wear things out quicker, even if the current is reduced. For my application, I'll probably stick with two cells and go with a higher pitch prop.

We had another LHS (further away) that knew much more about electrics, and stocked more electric stuff, but he has gone out of business. The only LHS left does not have any employees that fly. They carry e-stuff, but you have to guess which battery and ESC and motor you need 'cause they don't have a clue.