Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Nitro engine won't start

Old 05-07-2010, 06:24 PM
Bobroham
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro engine won't start

Yesterday, I ran my Tamiya TNX for about half an hour, then I let sit for maybe 20 minutes.
Since then, I haven't been able to start the Engine.

When I try to start it, it stays on for about 1-2 seconds and a maximum of 10 seconds.
I have tried adjusting needles, tightening screws, removing the air filter and adjusting throttle trim but nothing worked.

I could use some help

Old 05-07-2010, 06:34 PM
Argess

Default RE: Nitro engine won't start

Try turning up the idle a little bit (throttle trim on transmitter will do) to see if you can keep it running and tune from there. Your glowplug may be the way out as well.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:35 PM
Bobroham
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks but I have already tried
Old 05-07-2010, 07:26 PM
authorjim1

ORIGINAL: Bobroham

Yesterday, I ran my Tamiya TNX for about half an hour, then I let sit for maybe 20 minutes.
Since then, I haven't been able to start the Engine.

When I try to start it, it stays on for about 1-2 seconds and a maximum of 10 seconds.
I have tried adjusting needles, tightening screws, removing the air filter and adjusting throttle trim but nothing worked.

I could use some help

Well there are only a few things that will keep it from running, a glow plug that isn't working, low compression and fuel. Chances are if it was working well the day before and didn't have too much trouble starting then, you should return all the adjustments to where they were. If you actually changed the glow plug (I've seen glow plugs glow but when fuel hits them they can't keep the endothermic reaction going). So change it if you haven't already. If the engine is not tired, has good compression than check out the fuel lines for leaks, make sure that the lines are full.

Is this a pull start engine, if so you can feel if it still had decent compression. If not just turn the flywheel with your fingers, if it's hard to do then your probably okay in that dept.

Let us know.

Jim
Old 05-07-2010, 08:12 PM
Argess

Oops...I missed that you already tried the throttle trim....sorry about that.

To add to AuthorJim's suggesations, your fuel mixture could be screwed up by a fuel tank pressure leak. Maybe the fuel cap o-ring isn't sealing correctly, or the pressure line has a split or worn through, or the fuel tank has a crack in it,.... perhaps even the exhaust system has come loose or has a leak somewhere.

There's a lot of things to visually check. Loose carb, air-leak at pinch-bolt, loose cyl head, etc. The clutch could even be sticking.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:11 AM
rpg711

I would look at these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ3WcPoa1DY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xwDy-I0Z4I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFdWWGZwQlQ