Carden Aircraft Post threads here related to the Carden Aircraft line

Carbon Fibre Landing Gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 12:53 AM
TommyWatson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fibre Landing Gear

I have almost finished my 35% Carden Extra. In an effort to save weight, I would like to explore the possibility of using carbon landing gear and wing tube. Has anyone had any experience with carbon gear and if so which brand, size etc.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:25 PM
OnTheEdge

Default RE: Carbon Fibre Landing Gear

Your mileage may vary but I have had good success with a CF wing tube, but not so good success with the gear. I had three sets on a 33% Edge and they delaminated. The latest version was supposedly a "3D weave" that would not de-lam but it did so just like the other sets. While they were replaced at no-charge, the one cost me a 28-10 prop.

Sooooo, my advise is get the tube but mill the bottom of the stock gear to save weight. See below post. You may or may not be able to find a machine shop that can do this on the curved gear on the 330 but should be easy if your 35% is the 260.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=3884452

............Mark
Old 09-23-2006, 03:39 PM
TommyWatson

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the advice. I have heard about the CF gear problems. I guess I will just get the wing tube. I really don't need to get the last ounce of weight saving anyway. I have a Wren Turboprop in the Extra. Having the gear collapse could be expensive.

Thanks

Old 09-23-2006, 03:52 PM
ddennison
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree completely about the gear. I have stayed with Al and am at over 600 flights on my Edge 540 40% and have bent it a few times...bent it back and keeps on going.

I have another friend who went the CF route and was constantly breaking them (delaminating) and not doing much flying...

I have however switched to the CF tailwheel assembly, seems ok for the tail so far (2 years), I found the Ohio brand leaf spring lasted about 2 seasons and then broke..I broke 2 of them in 4 years

Dave Dennison
Old 09-23-2006, 03:56 PM
OnTheEdge

Just out of curiosity Tom, how does one go about getting a Carden in the land down under? Do you order direct or is there a hobby retailer or distributor in Australia?
Old 09-23-2006, 07:44 PM
TommyWatson

As far as I know there are no Carden dealers here in Australia. I just ordered from dennis and got it shipped to my place. It was not cheap.!!!

I guess I could have got an ARF for much less. But I wanted to get the same model as Ron Ballards's Turboprop Extra so I could get advice and use his knowledge to make sure the thing was built right. I also wanted to make sure the Turboprop would fit without too many modifications.

I will say the carden kit is really well made, and from all accounts they fly very well.

I will post some pics when I am finished.

Regards

Old 09-23-2006, 08:43 PM
OnTheEdge

You'll love it when it's done. Well worth the money in my opinion.

Best of luck on your turboprop prodject!