Default k5 blazer

considering buying a k5, but thought that first i should get some opinions
fyi - i will be lifting whatever truck i get
Old 04-05-2008, 09:38 AM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: k5 blazer

They're cool trucks if you can still find one in good shape. What year are you looking at? Here's my 89 I had back in the day. I eventually sold it for an extended cab pickup, which is a much better tow platform. (No side to side shimmy on highway) I didn't really like it for extended highway driving, not very smooth, the worse fuel economy of any vehicle I've ever owned. They are really fun offroad though, nice short wheelbase and decent torque, although it would really be an awesome truck if you dropped in a GM Vortec long block to replace the anemic stock LO5 350. I did a mild lif on mine, and it started tearing up drivetrain components, axle, universal, transmission (they have the weaker THM 700 R4) I had one with the dual front shocks. When I replaced those with some Ranchos, the brackets started breaking off of the axles, so I guess those need to be reinforced if you lift it. If you can find an old military blazer, the M1008/M1009 series truck, I think those come with the beefier turbo 350 trans behind the 6.2L diesel. That's what my brush guard came off of. I replaced the sliding rear side glass with cleaner looking one piece units since the sliders leak.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25535.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	922195  
Old 04-05-2008, 10:46 AM
Slammed

Well its not a K5 but in the line somewhere LOL my 99 hoe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20208.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	922234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86187.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	922235   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23576.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	922236  
Old 05-16-2008, 04:20 PM
SAVAGEBANE

i havent had nearly any problems with my 86 blazer. it has a mild susp. lift and loud pipes. 38 in mud tires. i absolutely love the truck. she brings complete balance to my life. once fired up all problems go out the rear exhaust. ..... until i gotta go to thew gas station. ouch.
but seriously though i think they are tough trucks, i only use mine off roading now and it is so much fun as a mudd bogger. if you want a true K5. i highly recomend that truck. my dad has had the same 73 k5 since i was like 2. no major problems at all just minor tuneups every now and then. plus the top comes all the way off of it. dependable/durable as anything i have ever seen.

i would say lift it up however high u want, procomp or rancho susp, and put at least 35s on it. if u wanna off road only i recommend bigger mud tires.
any more specific questions just pm me. i am no expert but these trucks are my passion