Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > CEN Racing
Reload this Page >

MUST-KNOW THINGS for owners of a Genesis LIMITED EDITION (not previous versions)

Community
Search
Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

MUST-KNOW THINGS for owners of a Genesis LIMITED EDITION (not previous versions)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 10:11 AM
aqw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MUST-KNOW THINGS for owners of a Genesis LIMITED EDITION (not previous versions)

Hi!

I think it could be wise to make a thread will all known flaws and problems of the GENESIS LIMITED EDITION (not previous versions because that will make everything incredibly more complex. moreover, one must be stupid to buy a Genesis standard edition today) & of course their SOLUTIONS.

Like motor flaws, chassis flaws, must-have hopups, , must-NOT-have hopups etc, etc, etc.

Keep this thread clean... only pertaining replies please.

Thanks
Old 08-27-2005, 01:48 PM
jigga2177

Default RE: MUST-KNOW THINGS for owners of a Genesis LIMITED EDITION (not previous versions)

Ok...am I the only person here that noticed there really is no hugh difference between the latest standard Genesis and the Limited Edition model? Besides the body and the transmitter.....if you go to cenracing.com, and click the specs link for the LE Genesis, it takes you to the page for the standard Genesis.

Things to look out for....Because they are the same on both trucks....
1) Servo's on my Genesis were bad when I recieved the truck. Might want to replace them.
2) For me the engine was hard to start, just the way it is when breaking it in.
3) Roto-start is great, but will eventually break one-way hub.
4) Brakes....stopping this truck will be very challenging to say the least.

That's about all the trouble I had with the truck so far. You may want to go through it and lock-tight everything that's looks like vibrations could back the screws out. Also, pay close attention to the line about the servo's...the servo that came with mine ended up destroying the gears in the transmission because it was shot. Cen racing replaced it for free, so I'm not too upset about it.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:05 PM
ThermalRD

Default RE: MUST-KNOW THINGS for owners of a Genesis LIMITED EDITION (not previous versions)

So far i've faced some minimal challenges with my Genesis. Stock servos did have a little twitching problem. I cured alot of that by removing the stock failsafe, but the steering servo still kind of bobbed back and forth at times. When at idle. While that was a minor issue to me, some may not be soo easy going about it. After all, it is the Limited Edition, WITH the nice radio system. Aside from that, i noticed the engine running quite hot near the end of the tank. As i posted in another thread, most of that was cured by a very short fuel line, and pressure line. As i learn more about the Gen, i realize it takes a loooong time to heat up. Then, and only then, should the engine be tuned for performance. Suspension is extremely FIRM (bricks for shocks). That is really a setup issue though. Aside from those things, i really like the truck. Im shocked with its overall performance. With all the bad reviews, i expected a HUGE headache. Im shocked it steers soo tight, and im shocked its soo tough. For me, i HAD to try this truck. The brute power, and size just really puts the MONSTER, in the truck. Im still happy i bought it. Somehow just running over, and thru anything just really satisfies...

I'd also like to compliment CEN on the great customer service. They ALWAYS answer e-mails in a friendly manner, and have done so for me even before i bought the truck. Andrew Smolnik is always quick to respond to an e-mail, and always helpful.
Old 08-28-2005, 03:45 AM
aqw

But you also had some serious problems with the genesis le (supposedly very strong) gears, right?
Old 08-28-2005, 08:46 AM
poor judgement

in fairness to cen, they sorted out a lot of probs pretty quickly, some were international customers too. i for one was impressed, given their previous record for customer support. they really seem to have pulled out their finger/s nowadays.

i believe both the spur and pinion issues were sorted too by cen. there is a guy on ebay making and selling very hard pinions that are working well if ppl are still having probs.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:59 AM
abonnet
My Feedback: (1)

Thermal,
What do you mean by "a very short fuel and pressure lines" to bring down the temp in your engine. I have the same problem. I am just afraid that the bearing in the engine might go again if I run a full tank because by then the engine is reaching 270-280 degrees so I just don't take it there anymore. I quit when it reaches 240-245. But it is terrible b/c I love this thing but don't like to run it in such short runs.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:02 PM
abonnet

by the way; in MY own experience, the upper suspension arms are weak as a toothpick. I've gone through 2 in 5 tanks of gas (I merely have 1 gallon through the truck) so have a few in hand. Do NOT buy the aluminum New Era ones because that brings you a whole new set of problems... with those what breaks is the diff case which holds the suspension arms.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:47 PM
ThermalRD

aqw, i am currently attributing my blown gear to the screw that backed out of that assembly. The day it backed out, it brought my truck to a dead stop. Doing so can easily cause damage to gears. I'll be spending some time with the Gen now that our outdoor racing series is over. I've got some time to play. I'll be sure to report how the gears hold up.

abonnet, i shortened the pressure line to 8 inches, and the fuel line to 6 inches. This has helped to prevent the engine from leaning out later in the tank of fuel. I have also noticed that it does take a very long time to warm up. The next time you are out, run the truck around, and check temps near the end of the tank. Then refill it without shutting it down. If those temps DONT drop way down from having a full tank of fuel, then you dont have a fuel tank leaning issue. The problem then is simply that the truck is not tuned at OPERATING temps. As with any issues, i'll keep everyone posted on what i find.

Now, in regards to the overall strength of the truck, i have no complaints at all. On the first day to the indoor track, i took some tumbles off jumps. Nothing broke. My track is about as hard as cement. As well as the bashing i do at a local park thru the ditches, plenty of tumbling, and bangin around. No issues at all. My truck is bone stuck. I've hit the wheels hard enough in tumbles to kill my 188oz JR servo though. Nothing else broke.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:54 PM
tomandemmy

ok anyone got any shock upgrade ideas.Both genesis i owned the shocks were weak.Shock fluid suggestion or spring suggestion thanks.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:53 AM
SejR/C

I am not aware of any other differences between the LE and 3rd batch Standard than the body n radio....??
More Gen owners touched the subject of suspension in this thread. Mine too is firm as a rock and doesn't handle well on hard/rough tracks.
Wot is the solution? pistons with more/larger holes, thinner oil or other springs? Will try to remove 9th and 10th shock n c if tht helps. Anybody tried that?

Old 09-02-2005, 02:10 AM
BILKO1

Removing the overhead shocks and dropping the body right down will improve the handling a bit.