Community
Search
Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

Clutch bell steel gears

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 01:57 PM
eromeros

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch bell steel gears

Hello,

Are there any clutch bell steel gears for the Magnum?

the problem is that a friend of mine just keeps eating the spurs on the clutch bell...he has steel spur gears..the ones on the clutch bell are alluminum.

At firts he had the plastic stock ones..but they kept strpping no matter what..he changed them to steel and now the gears on the clutch bell are stripping....

Believe me..we have checked all....tried different methods we found on the net to adjust the gear mesh..we checked for bent shafts...and he even bought aother motor...we still have the same results.....

any now ideas on hoe to solve this problem?....or are there any steel gears for the clutch bell? . Now i think this is not a good idea since the problem will move to another piece for sure....well...anything will help

thanks

Elias

PD: i also own a Magnum....i've dissasembled it several times with no stripping problems at all..so we know how to adjust the gear mesh..

Old 08-12-2006, 03:18 PM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Clutch bell steel gears

Are you using hte colored gears (alloy) or steel gears (sliver)?

This is what you want. http://www.customrccars.com/product_...at=30&custom=0
Old 08-12-2006, 07:02 PM
eromeros

He's using the steel spur gears..the grey ones....and he wants to change the alluminum blue and black gear from the clutch bell to steel.....does the G84308-04 includes the steel gears or is it just the bell?

Thanks
Old 08-12-2006, 07:30 PM
rolland

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It should include the gears.
I listed parts in Tinybaum's post about the HPI clutch bells that might be usefull.

rolland
Old 08-12-2006, 07:53 PM
poor judgement

rolland - do you know if 1/8 clutch shoes (specifically the mugen 3 shoe alloy setup) will fit under the hpi bell?

they just fit and work on the cen threaded and vented bell, just holding back on the hpi one as im not sure. the ff uses a 1/8 sized bell or so ive read, but there doesnt seem to be much in it when i compared an ofna 1/8 bell with a 1/10 one.

any help is as always...
Old 08-12-2006, 08:12 PM
rolland

The 11/14 bell is the same size (I just measured them) as the XTM Mammoth ST bell and the Savage clutch bell. I am not sure about the Savage but the Mammoth uses 3 shoe clutch.

Without tearing my trucks apart (I just got them back together) I can't physicaly check but I see no reason why they wouldn't. The only trouble might be the shimming.

I am also using the plastic spurs so I don't know how these will hold up on the metal spurs.

I know that XTM makes threaded bells and gears that would probably work better for your big block application with some minor mods. I will see if I can find the part numbers and the links later this evening when I have more time.

rolland
Old 08-12-2006, 11:02 PM
rolland

Poor Judgement, what pinion ratios are you looking for?
The XTM ones I was refering to are no longer available, or I am having no luck finding them, I might have to call my LHS and use their resources. I have a bunch of sites book-marked on pinions and it would be alot easier if I knew what ratios you were looking for.

You could use the HPI clutch bells but I think the ratio won't work that well with the big block and I am unsure how hard they are.
The HPI pinions have lasted quite awhile ( I haven't worn one out yet) with the plastic spurs but since you primarily run on sand I can see your need for the steel spurs.

rolland
Old 08-13-2006, 12:26 PM
poor judgement

Cheers Rolland - youre a mine of info mate.

Im trying to keep the ratios for the BB MT as low as possible - ie 11/14 and use the new steel spurs - 47/44.

Now I know too well the issues with the 11t, its so small and getting so much torque, its going to be hard to keep it reliable. However, I have heat treatment facilities at work, so that might be the way to go with a HPI bell - we also have hardness testing gear, so hopefully I should be able to get something to work without chewing up too many early efforts. A couple of HPI 11/14 bells are on order.

So long as the 47/44 spurs dont mind the BB (I will hardness test these spurs too, and compare to the rock hard Genny spurs) then the large spurs may let me get away with a larger pinion set, hard to say as I havent even struck up the .30 yet... come on customrccars - where are my parts?!?

I have also ordered the 14/17 cen steel bell, the Cen steel ones dont seem too bad on the Genny spurs, so might be fine on the lighter, larger FF steel spurs.

Believe it or not, I dont have a single speed or 2 speed thats complete and ready to use on the BB at the mo - getting very frustrated, waiting for parts. ARRRRG.

Cheers for any help tho, Rolland. Not really worth going out of your way til Ive tried the bits that are in the post (allegedly), heat treatment etc, but, as always...

Forgot - the reason that Im looking to lower the ratios is that with the 43/39 Genny gears on 14/18 pinions and even 11/15 Ofna pinions, Im going through 3 shoe alloy clutches too fast. Too much power, I know, but the Tmaxx wheels and final drive ratios arent helping - I can only try lowering the 2 speed ratios to try to compensate for it all.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:37 PM
rolland

HPI does make a 13/16 bell that you might want to try. If 11/14 is to low and 14/17 to high the 13/16 might be what you need. I know that I really like the 13/16 with the OS .18 motor but I am also using the buggy wheels.
I have tried the Maxx wheels and didn't like the handling of them compared to the 1/8 scale buggy wheels.

Let us know how it works out. HPI clutch bells are easy to get a hold of and if they last with the steel spurs I might have to try the steel spurs.

rolland