Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > CEN Racing
Reload this Page >

Stinger length - is it important?

Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

Stinger length - is it important?

Old 09-03-2006, 11:24 AM
poor judgement

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stinger length - is it important?

As per the title.

Is a tuned pipe/silencers stinger a predefined, tuned length, or is it simply there to get the exhaust gas n oil clear of the shell etc?

I expect that its not a good idea to remove the stinger completely for a few reasons, but would shortening it affect performance at all - ie cut to half original length on a 21 sized pipe?
Old 09-03-2006, 11:56 AM
Frank88888888

Default RE: Stinger length - is it important?

i dont see how it would affect it
Old 09-03-2006, 02:51 PM
rolland

Are you talking about the pipe/muffler itself or the little round piece that exits the exhaust out of the pipe/muffler? Some people call the exhaust pipes/mufflers stingers which is why I ask.

If it is just the little pipe that comes out of the main pipe it shouldn't make that much of a difference on how long it is. If it is the actual exhaust pipe that you are talking about then cutting it will greatly influence the characteristics of the pipe.

rolland
Old 09-03-2006, 04:45 PM
poor judgement

No, just the little bit of pipe, the tip if you like. Im not so dremmel mad as to chop my tuned pipe up mate!
Old 09-03-2006, 05:35 PM
RC30GTR

i dont think it will affect anything either
Old 09-03-2006, 07:16 PM
poor judgement

I dont see it making much odds, but when youve paid a good few ££s for a nice OS pipe...
Old 09-03-2006, 11:43 PM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

The backpressure comes from the pipe itself. With a tuned pipe, It works by resonating at a certain frequency. The resonation kind of causes the exhaust gasses to move back and fourth very quickly while they exit the engine. This helps draw more fuel into the engine by creating a lower pressure area just out the exhaust port of the engine in the header while the porst are open. So the length, diameter, shape, and baffles of the pipe are hgely important, but the stinger will have VERY little effect IF ANY (which I doubt) on the performance.

Just like 2 stroke dirtbike engines/pipes.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:41 AM
poor judgement

Aye - the resonance and pulses/backpressure within the pipe I understand, was just wondering if it would affect the back pressure to any measurable degree. Oh and scared of cutting my new pipe up...

Im trying to avoid having oil and gunk sprayed all over the back wheel with the pipe mounted as it is - may use a deflector pipe type thingy or drill the chassis and exit it out the bottom, not sure yet, but either way, the stinger/tip will need a trim.

Cheers for the answers guys, much appreciated.

... now wheres that dremmel...?
Old 09-04-2006, 09:47 PM
rolland

Actually it will affect performance due to how the exhaust will exit the pipe. If it was a heavier truck or an on road car and tuned and ran for optimum performance it will affect power. But for the use Poor Judgement has in mind it really won't make a noticible difference.

rolland
Old 09-05-2006, 06:13 AM
Scouser

I would have thought it would have some effect on the performance. Whether it will be significant enough to notice, I am not sure. I would have thought that the stinger delayed the exiting of the exhaust gasses by 'bottlenecking' them. Removing the stinger completely will allow the gasses to pass through with no delay. Quite what this means to an engine I don't know!!
Old 09-05-2006, 12:44 PM
dustin7837

But it's still the same diameter hole for the exhuast to pass through, even if you cut the stinger right off. The only change will be that there will be SLIGHTLY less pressure because the stinger is shorter and there is less contact area between the exhaust and the metal, thus less friction...
With a liquid, it might make a difference, but wtih a gas it shouldn'tbe noticable.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:29 PM
mulletman

ORIGINAL: dustin7837

But it's still the same diameter hole for the exhuast to pass through, even if you cut the stinger right off.
Yes but then the gasses can come out at all directions and probably pit oil every wich way
Old 09-05-2006, 06:32 PM
dustin7837

ORIGINAL: mulletman

ORIGINAL: dustin7837

But it's still the same diameter hole for the exhuast to pass through, even if you cut the stinger right off.
Yes but then the gasses can come out at all directions and probably pit oil every wich way
heh... Definately a messy situation, but I was meaning performance wise
Old 09-05-2006, 08:55 PM
mulletman

i was just stating that it would make a mess(^^ i inderstood what you were saying)
Old 09-05-2006, 11:48 PM
rolland

With an exhaust application less back pressure will reduce bottom end performance while increasing the upper end performance. With more back pressure the engine will respond better at lower rpm's than higher rpm's.
Which is why race cars have a large diameter short exhaust system and street autos have a full length small diameter exhaust system. The same principles can be applied to nitro engines as well. Exactly how much of a performance advantage/disadvantage there is concerning "stinger" length I am not exactly sure and as far as I know nobody has done any testing to see if the "stinger" length affects performance any or at all.

With Poor Judgements application I believe that a performance differance isn't going to be all that noticable. If anything it might take some bottem end out and that would probably be preferable with the engine that he is going to use. If enough of the "stinger" is left it could be extended if need be.

So I say cut away. But try to leave a little bit on just in case.

rolland
Old 09-06-2006, 02:24 PM
poor judgement

So I say cut away. But try to leave a little bit on just in case.
Sounds like a good plan to me. Its a weekend job though.