Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > CEN Racing
Reload this Page >

Gensis suspension adjustments?

Community
Search
Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

Gensis suspension adjustments?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 04:22 PM
Genesistytsis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gensis suspension adjustments?

Heya, I got a used but in great condition Genesis today.
But knowing how good suspension should work I quickly realised that the shocks have too much damping at the moment so..

To adjust the damping to make it travel faster I just remove some oil from the shocks? and add more to slow it down? - thats right isnt it?

Cos at the moment the damping is very slow and causes the truck to ''squat'' after compression, i'd like it to rebound faster.

Also I dont know what the previous owner used in the way of fuel, I was thinking around the 20-25% octane mark would be okay? I live in England to weather tempratures dont get too high here in summer 40C the highest really. although its around 0 now haha.

Anyway thanks in advance

I'll probably have more questions after its first bashing this weekend.

-Jed
Old 01-18-2007, 08:08 PM
.46NitroAddict

Default RE: Gensis suspension adjustments?

Hi Jed,

Shocks, normally no. You should run them full, with all air removed. They have pistons that are changable, & come std. from the factory with #2 fitted. You should have been given the others, with different size holes. The smaller the hole, the slower the movement, or the greater the dampening. So you can play with these if you like. (you need ones with a bigger hole). Or you can also change the type of oil in the shocks, thinner oil has the effect of speeding up movement or reducing the dampening.

Before you try this, you probably should remove your shocks, & check that your suspension is not binding. Causing the problem in the first place.

Fuel, 20-25% Nitro is fine. You just need to find a good quality fuel with a good blend of oils, & corrosion inhibitors. The fuel I use has a 15% oil mix, a blend of synth. & caster oil.

If your new purchase didn't come with any manuals, & none of this makes any sense, visit here.
http://www.cenracing.com/main.html

Hope this helps,
.46NitroAddict [>:]
Old 01-18-2007, 08:11 PM
The Real Dogman

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah what nitro said!!!!
Old 01-19-2007, 05:27 AM
MONAROMAN

New GST 7.7 comes with #3 pistons from new (and only 1/2 filled shocks) with an unknown oil weight, well mine did anyway - think its 20 weight, VERY little damping and heaps of rebound. Most people seem to recommend #2 piston with 35 to 40 weight oil, what do you guys think? I was mainly interested in having it handle jumping. Anybody invested in aluminium shocks? Any advice on brands? The plastic ones fitted stock have already stripped a thread and will seep oil. I was looking at the cen ones (part #gss09) but can't seem to find them in oz, don't really want to wait for US shipping.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:04 AM
The Real Dogman

#2 pistons with 30wt oil and white springs in the front and 35wt in the rear seems to work very well with jumping, and all around bashing. I also use 4mm stablizer in the front and 3.5mm on the front to help keep things predictable and stable.

The Aluminum shocks are great for bling, but they are too ridgid to bash or race. The plastic ones have a bit of give in them so hard awkward landings wont bend them since they will flex and function. The Aluminum shocks dont have that give, so I've seen them bend. besides they add sprung wieght to the truck.

You can pick-up the plastic shocks for about $20US for four. so they are cheap enough to replace if they strip. I have NEVER had them strip yet and I beat the living snot out of my trucks. Luck of the draw I guess. I have heard some people have had that happen to them.

Hope this helps-Have fun!!
Old 01-19-2007, 07:21 AM
MONAROMAN

Thanks for the heads up, I'd thought of the weight issue but didn't think they'd bend! Suppose plastic shocks are all round cheaper to maintain and replace, might just have to stock up on a spare pair for now but it only weeps right now so it ain't stoppin the beast copping a flogging at the bmx track this weekend.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:23 AM
MONAROMAN

By the way, do you run any preload spacers with your above setup?
Old 01-19-2007, 07:48 AM
The Real Dogman

Yes, on the preloads. I only use them when I plan to run rough terrian and when jumping big. The preloads also offer easier wheelies and riding them.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:21 AM
.46NitroAddict

Hi Again Monaroman,
ORIGINAL: MONAROMAN

New GST 7.7 comes with #3 pistons from new (and only 1/2 filled shocks) with an unknown oil weight, well mine did anyway - think its 20 weight, VERY little damping and heaps of rebound. Most people seem to recommend #2 piston with 35 to 40 weight oil, what do you guys think?
Well there is a thing. My mistake, I assumed since Jed said it was 2nd hand, that is it wouldn't be a GST. (I guess I ASSumed wrong!)
The LE definatley comes with a #2 piston, or at least mine did!
About 1 month ago, on the CEN official site http://cenracing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1357#1357 . I asked a few questions about shocks & their differences - Nemesis, Genesis LE, & GST. CEN responded saying that they all had #2's fitted from the factory with approx 20wt oil in all.
Not trying to argue with you, just makes what CEN said, seem inaccurate.
Going on what CEN said, I thought I could buy either a set of Nemesis or GST shocks & get white springs, & a spare set of shocks set up with the same oil & pistons, as my LE ones - That's why I asked the question in the first place (Ebay gotta love it). Maybe not!

Anyway, normally a shock 1/2 full of air will only act as a damper for 1/2 its stroke, the other 1/2 offers no resistance to movement at all (or an erratic opposition to movement, due to the fact the oil is airated). So I guess if you fill your shocks full of oil & bleed the air, you will see a big change in your dampening problem, or lack of it!

Hope this helps, & clears up why I said what I did,

.46NitroAddict [>:]
Old 01-19-2007, 01:47 PM
Genesistytsis

ah, i've found my
#3 pistons - i'll try those out and then an oil change if i still have problems.
Thanks guys - did realise the pistons would be like flat disks lol I was searching around for the same sorta thing i'd have in my moto forks haha

-Cheers