Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > CEN Racing
 CEN's New CNC Spur Gear Set, Review!! >

CEN's New CNC Spur Gear Set, Review!!

Community
Search
Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

CEN's New CNC Spur Gear Set, Review!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 11:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CEN's New CNC Spur Gear Set, Review!!

Well, fellow CENers, As some of you may know CEN has released several New CNC option pieces for the GST 7.7 and such these parts will fit all the genesis series trucks. These parts are available now thru [link=http://www.cenracingdirect.com/index.asp?PageAction=QUICKORDER2&Category=73]CEN Direct[/link] and a few pieces are available at [link=http://www.headrushhobbies.com/estore.aspx?cat=Genesis/NemesisUpgradePats&catn=Genesis/Nem%20Upgrade]Headrush Hobbies[/link].

I have the distinct pleasure of reviewing these parts for all of you.. I will be doing these reviews as the parts become available to me... First Up, New CNC Spur gear set!!!
GSS22 43T Spur Gear
GSS23 39T Spur Gear

First Impressions:

When I fist saw these gears on the CEN Direct website, I though "hmm those look kinda cool.", but when they arrived in the mail, they are cool!! Very high tech looking with the wieght savings drilled holles. I pulled them out of the typical CEN plastic bag packaging and took a quick look. Wieght savings seems to be the advantage with these new gears, as well as the single piece design. These gears are very well machined yet only enough material in the right places to create a very solid piece. The black coating it typical CEN fair and seem to somewhat durable under my pocket knife's scrapings, however we will see it holds up under my kind of abuse. I wanted to see how adjustment was going to be required after installation to get second to shift when I like it. So I grabbed my trusty digital calipers and measured the inside diameter of the OEM Second gear "Drum". It measured 36.03mm id, Then the New CNC "Drum", 35.98mm id. That's pretty dog gone close!!! And at $24.50 and $14.00 respectivly they seem to be well worth the cost. GOOD JOB CEN!!!

So Far, I'm very impressed!!

Initial Comparison:

Comparing the OEM Gears to the new gears, as I noted earlier, the new gears are a 1 piece design, machined from a solid piece of hardened steel. The OEM pieces are hardened steel gears mounted to Aluminum Hubs.

Also, the external clutch shoes on the OEM gear set engauged on an aluminum "Drum" while the new CNC gears utilize a steel "Drum". Only field testing will tell us if this is an improvement or not!!

Wieght Comparison:

OEM Assembly-->GS056HUb & GS088 39T Spur 31.98grams
OEM Assembly-->GS047 Oneway Hub & GS087 43T Spur 46.02grams

New GSS23 39T CNC Steel Spur 31.98grams
New GSS22 43T CNC Steel Spur 35.44grams

OEM Clutch Shoes Assembly 28.35grams

OEM Assembly Total Wieght 106.35grams
New Assembly Total Wieght 99.40grams

Installation:

Now as all Genesis Series truck owners know, these trucks are TVP(Twin Verticle Plate) Ladder style construction, and to remove the tranny you will have to remove the front or rear suspension sections. I prefer to remove the rear section, but here is a pic with both sections removed for reference, for those who are unsure of what I mean.

This is where the quality of machining really shines. The bearing carrying the second Gear "Drum" Hub was a snug fit, but pressed in by a firm hand or a light tap with the end of a plastic screw driver handle. The Second Gear Clutch Shoe Hub was a bit more difficult, but it has always been more snug and this fit will not change on this upgrade since these are OEM peices are original parts that fit together. Moving on, Absolutely no "massaging" was required to install these gears on to the trans, everything fit perfectly onto input shaft. I didn't even have to reset the pinion-to-spur gear mesh, however, I did just be sure. What more could you ask for??

Doesn't that look awsome!!!

Now For The Fun!! Field Testing:
Since the new CNC gears are a solid steel design you will notice a distinctive ring to them when the truck is not running, however when the truck is running and moving you do not hear it. I did notice the acceleration was just abit snappier, the drive train did not seem as loaded, and really became apparent when the truck was moving.. as I made a few high speed turns in tight corners the truck seemed to pull out of the corner just abit stronger. These gears did not have that distinctive wobble known to plague the OEM 2 piece steel gear on aluminum hub design, they spun as straight and true as you would expect from CNC'ed gears. When I pulled truck up to look for any wear, the black wasn't even worn off. Time will tell how well these gears hold up, however intial testing shows these gears will be all they are promised to be and more..

Conclusion:
CEN has struck a home run on these upgrade parts!!! If these are any indication of what to expect with the other Upgrade options for the Genesis/Nemesis series trucks, we are in for a real treat. CEN has really stepped up on this one, guys!!

Old 07-04-2007, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CEN's New CNC Spur Gear Set, Review!!

will this set up work in the gst 3 speed...I"m thinking no...

BTW...looks like those gears came just in time...
Old 07-05-2007, 12:00 AM

Hey Burningpoo,

In the very first paragraph I stated they would fit ALL Genesis series trucks. So yes they will fit the GST 3speed in fact they are in the GST Options Section of CEN Direct's website found [link=http://www.cenracingdirect.com/index.asp?PageAction=QUICKORDER2&Category=73]here!![/link]

However, if you mean will they fit in place of the thrid gear inside the tranny, then no they wont, the third gear is a whole different part..

Original by Burningpoo

BTW...looks like those gears came just in time...
Whatda mean??

Old 07-05-2007, 10:53 AM

I was loaded the other night...by the time i got to the bottem i forgot the top and i was only thinking of 1 and 2...

Maybe it's the angle...teeth looked like there getting close to worn...looks a little better in single vision
Old 07-05-2007, 10:20 PM

Thanks for the review Dogman, very nice.

I actually noticed yesterday that both my 1st/2nd spur gears were coming loose, it would appear the screws weren't lock-tite'd when built so I took it to Sean at CEN Racing and purchased both CNC spur gears while I was there (apparently I'm the first person to actually buy them) and had him replace both the stock ones with those. And as always CEN took care of it almost immediately, I left my GST with Sean in the middle of the day, and had it back in a couple hours.

I couldn't be happier with CEN's support of their product, you guys step it up and I really appreciate that.

Thanks Sean and all you guys over at CEN, you guys rock! [8D]
Old 07-08-2007, 10:05 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Nice review TRD. Very informative. Any post reports yet or are you still up-grading your Metro ?
Old 07-09-2007, 06:14 AM

Anything to report yet on the new gears ??
Old 07-15-2007, 05:25 PM

Bump Updated
Old 07-15-2007, 05:44 PM

Thanks for the review on the new gears, the machining looks wonderful, I will be purchasing a set for my Nemesis when it is time to pull the tranny out, I havn't had to take it out yet...knock on wood!
Old 07-15-2007, 09:00 PM

Good report ...... thanx
Old 07-16-2007, 01:19 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Awesome as usual TRD. Glad to hear the parts are decent!
Old 07-16-2007, 12:18 PM

I'm happy to report my CNC's spur gears are holding up nicely, they don't even look worn yet heh.

Now I have my eye on GSS16 the CNC'd blue clutch shoes.. Anyone have them yet?
Old 12-13-2007, 02:31 PM

There have been acouple Q's Related to spur gears so I thought I would dig this up to help...