Community
Search
Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

gst horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 12:40 AM
elven wizard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gst horsepower

is it 5 hp ?
Old 11-30-2007, 06:50 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: gst horsepower

No, it's nowhere near. Even stock 26cc gas engines don't develop 5hp.

You must always take horsepower quotes on nitro engines with a pinch of salt, as the result is highly dependant on how the test is performed and almost any result you want can be obtained through tailoring the test toward the result. They're not lies, they're just subjective. HP sells engines, torque wins races. Take this for an example...

Company 1 makes a .21 size engine which develops 2hp at 21,000rpm and 0.8hp at 35,000rpm.

Company 2 makes a .21 size engine which develops 1.5hp at 21,000rpm, and 1.2hp at 35,000rpm.

Which engine is better? Company 2. Which make will quote the higher horsepower? Company 1. See why this is largely irrelevant? The difference between a cheap and an expensive engine is how the powerband develops as the revs increase. Hope that helps with your future investigations.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:23 PM
elven wizard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that makes total sense, thanks for the breakdown. When a manufacter says .76 or 4.60 engine what does that mean ? And is Cen's .76 the most powerful engine out there ?
Old 12-01-2007, 03:14 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've no personal experience with that engine, so I can't tell you whether or not it is the most powerful there is, however there exist some very powerful nitro engines on the market, I would suggest that you ask other GST owners what engines they have used when the stock one eventually wears out, I expect some of the racing engines would be a bit more powerful, but then they should be, they cost a hell of a lot more.

Engine sizes for cars generally range from .08 to .10 micro blocks, .12 to .18 (with some exceptions) small blocks, and .21 plus big blocks. This is expressed in cubic inches. When you see the higher figures, like 4.6, they refer to cubic centimetres. 4.6cc for example is .28cu, and you'll more often hear them referred to as .28s, rather than 4.6s. You can type in google.com 'convert 4.6cc to cubic inches' and it will tell you. So a 4.6 is a .28, etc.

The GST does have a huge engine, so it's bound to be very powerful on the bottom end to pull those wheelies in such a big truck, try it and see.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:06 PM
The Real Dogman

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great answer foxy!!!!!