RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   CEN Racing (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/cen-racing-310/)
-   -   Steel Spur Gears for Fun Factor Series (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/cen-racing-310/4214668-steel-spur-gears-fun-factor-series.html)

poor judgement 05-07-2006 09:39 AM

RE: Steel Spur Gears for Fun Factor Series

a pair of genesis spurs were on ebay for £8.99, i dont remember seeing any bidders (they just do not wear out) so might be worth a look for a relisting etc.

steel spurs mean steel pinions, that im afraid, is that.

Tinybaum 05-07-2006 11:25 PM

PJ,

Where did you get your steel pinion?

poor judgement 05-08-2006 01:28 PM

which ones?

ive used cens steel, 1 piece 14/18 clutch bell (sorry i dont have a part number) got em from ebay or the US, cant remember now tbh
ofna 2 speed 11/15 bells & pinions work with modded mounts too. great with alloy clutch shoes - ebay or any half decent model shop is best for these

worth looking into the hyper 10 bells too. ive got some steel threaded pinions for one, but cant find a bell in the uk to suit the 2nd gear pinion, or in the states for that matter - anyone know a good place for hyper 10 bits?

i also have some gen pinions to play with, but again, i need a bell to suit.

dont get too hung up on it having to be 2 speed, the gen 43t spur with a 15t pinion is good in mine. with an 18 in it, id go for a hyper 10 1st gear 13t pinion screwed onto a threaded cen 2 speed bell. ill have a look for part numbers for u... ah here we go - theyre Ho Bao part numbers tho... 13/17 pinion gear set (no bell) - 224217G
15/19 pinion gear set (no bell) - 224232G
dunno if they will help u, but what might is my almightly bloody thread about pinions somewhere on here, theres loads of options in there iirc.

big post huh? u aint seen nothin yet...

customrccars 05-09-2006 01:16 PM

Hey guys,

We also have the steel pinions in stock that your going to need with the steel spur gears.

Steel Spurs
$23.99
http://www.customrccars.com/product_...at=30&custom=0

$27.99

Steel pinions
$8.99
http://customrccars.com/product_temp...at=30&custom=0
$8.99

I am curious to see how well a steel pinion and spur willl work. So please post if anyone tries this combo.

Thanks,
Chris Meyer
www.customRCcars.com

dustin7837 05-09-2006 01:48 PM

Sweet!
Customrccars.com has the steel spurs and pinions in. Not as pricey as we thought[sm=greedy.gif]. Still not cheap mind you.

Steel pinions

Steel Spurs
$23.99

$27.99

aaah customrccars.com. you rule! Although i still say pics of every part would be nice.

customrccars 05-09-2006 02:59 PM

dustin

we are in the process of taking pics of every part. Give us a few weeks! Check out the ones we have done so far for the CT4.

http://customrccars.com/parts.asp?se...l=146&custom=0

Magnum parts are next!

Thanks,
Chris Meyer
(909)266-0156

poor judgement 05-09-2006 04:20 PM

nice one dustin - well spotted mate!

ill be having a set i reckon, when they show up on ebay...

dustin7837 05-16-2006 02:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just wondering how anyone running the genesis spurs is making out?
I have about 3/4 to 1 gallon of fuel through this thing since I put the genny spurs and steel pinions on and all seems to run fine except It looks like the shift point screw worked itself loose. But Today I blew a clutch, well, I didnt blow it but there are bits of clutch all over the bell and on the chassis,brake seat etc. and the spring is now bigger than the clutch shoes.

So I've been kind of noticing that with the steel on steel spurs/pinions, the gears get very hot. I have checked the mesh very carefully and its good. Seems minor, but I'm wondering if this didnt contribute to a melted clutch. My second speed pinion has some wear on it probabaly form having it stuck in second from the screw working loose, and both pinions have changed color from heat. I've got a set of the new funfactor steel spurs on the way so I'm gonna give those a go:)

Just wondering how everyone else is doing with gearing since I have to wait for a clutch. I guess I just forgot to order a spare last time.

craigb 05-16-2006 10:27 AM

strange I wouldn't of thought the steel/steel pinon and spur would make much heat unless they where set to tight[sm=confused.gif] you could use this Teflon spray grease stuff on them... its made for motorcycle chains and works great, as its make for chains it wont fling off and don't attract dirty.

I use it on the cens diffs and it works great. I tried a small amount of grease on them but it just flicks off and covers the inside of the diff case.

Them steel spurs seem a good price for what they are! I just ordered a few parts from customrccars and was considering them BUT the spurs in my cen are the same ones that came with it (about 2gallons old) and still look pretty clean with only the first gear looking abit sharp on the the teeth so i ordered a new one of them. :D:D:D:D:D:D

craigb 05-16-2006 10:46 AM

ORIGINAL: dustin7837

Today I blew a clutch, well, I didnt blow it but there are bits of clutch all over the bell and on the chassis,brake seat etc. and the spring is now bigger than the clutch shoes.

forgot! I HIGHLY recommend a savage 3shoe clutch on the cen! its the same size and are very cheap and last long

I found this out by chance when messing replacing the cen clutch... the fly wheel on the cen has extra holes for 3shoe clutches!

what you do is buy this http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-HPI-SAVAGE-S...QQcmdZViewItem

1. remove the two pins from the stock cen flywheel
2. then get the savage 3shoe clutch and remove the 3pins
3. then press the 3 savage pins into the right holes on the cen flywheel and fit the flywheel back onto the engine
4. put the 3 savage shoes onto the new pins on the cens flywheel and use the stock cen spring (the savage clutch comes with 3little springs that wont fit because theres no grove on the cens pilot shaft. but lucky enough the shoes have a grove in the center that makes the stock hoop spring a perfect fit!)

I use this setup on my fourstroke cen and it works great! had at least a gallon of fuel though these shoes and they are still looking great even with the steep hill climbing and the clutch grips great even with the lower reving FS [8D]

dustin7837 05-16-2006 04:23 PM

Craigb... Awesome! I was looking around at some alum clutches but it seemed that most of em were 3's or even 4's. I never even thought about adding more pins[X(]

and good call on the chain lube too. I have some for my bikes but never thought of using it for this. :)

craigb 05-16-2006 05:19 PM

sorted then :D gotta watch the alloy clutch shoes! I have them on my maxx and after each run i find theres a nice dusting of alloy powder on the chassis, so make sure you have a good air filter and that i never comes off otherwise that dust will be sucked in[:'(]

poor judgement 05-19-2006 07:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
aye - its an idea to go for the mugen alloy shoes if u can - the 1.1 springs work for me, the 1.0mm ones may be better in a .18.

craigb 05-19-2006 07:13 PM

welcome back pj :D

blimey what engine is that? that clutch looks like a chewed up and spat out black wine gum! [:-] LOL

poor judgement 05-19-2006 07:25 PM

thats a protech 3 shoe setup, 14/18 pinions, 43/39 genesis pinions, tmaxx wheels and an sh.28! lol

dint like it much. mugen 3 shoe setup on a tmaxx flywheel to suit works well mate. read the other thread too, for sommat to do... lol

dustin7837 06-05-2006 06:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just got my Steel FF spurs today. They look pretty good. Fairly similar to the genesis spurs.

poor judgement 06-05-2006 06:54 PM

they sure look the business. u running 14/17 cen steel pinions?

just looking back thru the thread - it could well be the weight of the gen gears causing clutch issues, especially with higher gearing and are u using tmaxx wheels too? even on 2.2s its hard for the stock clutch to cope.

dustin7837 06-05-2006 09:24 PM

yeah, I am running max wheels. I was originally going to use these on my rally but then I suspected my final ratio to be way to high with 14/17 and gen gears and maxx wheels.
I threw on a stock savage clutch and the steel pinions and I'm just going to give her a go.

Wish I had a scale for comparison, the FF spurs are still a lot heavier than the stock plastic ones. Actually, I htink they are very similar in weight to the Gen spurs. They have holes cut out, but they have a larger diameter too.

dustin7837 06-05-2006 10:39 PM

Well, gave it a try out tonight. Just bashed around the backyard for 20 mins or so. The spurs seem great from this little bit of bashing i did. The savage clutch got eaten a little bit in those 20 mins though.
I'm not really sure what to do about the clutch. Between the maxx wheels and the steel spurs and the roll bar etc, its a bit too heavy i guess.
Time for a big block :D
I see STS .28s on ebay for like $105

rolland 06-05-2006 11:26 PM

Try the alloy shoes with Mugen 1.0 springs. If that doesn't work you can use the shoes on the big block.

rolland

poor judgement 06-06-2006 12:16 AM

yep yep - im on mugen alloy shoes and 1.1 springs - 1.0 springs might well be a bit better.

riskistang 06-08-2006 02:45 AM

I boughtthos same gears for my magnum nx......went in great messed fine.......ran the truck 2 tanks.....and melted clutch gear...the one closest to teh motor.....just a ball of melted metal.....so Ill be ordering from customrc's again to get the other metal counter parts, and see if it will stay to gether......

along with a new rear diff! cracked it down the center of the it and lost the driver rear axle.......

this truck seems to just fall apart all over.....

poor judgement 06-09-2006 11:28 AM

2 tanks? thats good going! - i launched mine 4 times before killing my alloy pinions on genesis steel spurs in my funfactor. 4 times. on 1 tank. tried different alloy pinions - up to 18t, they lasted longer, but killed my clutch several times, then died themselves within 4 or 5 tanks of easy driving.

u have GOT to run steel pinions with steel spurs (i promise thats nearly the last time i will say it).

cen do sell single piece steel 2 speed pinion/clutchbell sets, i dont have the part numbers handy, but they should start G8430... something. someone on here will know them. maybe pm craigb, he has my last ones im afraid.

unfortunately cen dont produce the steel sets as stock ratios. the lowest they do is 14/17 as opposed to the stock 11/14. this means that if u fit the 14/17 set u will lose a little acceleration but gain some top speed - provided the engine is powerful enough to pull those ratios to full revs... i cant see it being a massive difference tbh, ive not used the nx .18 engine, but have played with lots and lots of ratios on an os 18.

cen really should be advising people about this issue, or theres gonna be a lot of annoyed customers out there. maybe just a note on the steel spurs packaging (unless there is one already)

we could do with a sticky too of all the hopups and what they do, and what u need to go with them. this would save people a fair bit of cash, annoyance and most importantly - downtime of their trucks.

riskistang 06-09-2006 01:12 PM

I agree......I figured it would be good, metal on metal.....but damn not as bad as it went.....If I knew this was going to be an issue Id ordered the steel spurs also.....now I have to wait another week for parts....seeing that NOBODY carries CEN parts!

I hope CEN takes a look at this problem and upgrades the parts to steel or ones that will last longer! Plastic and alloy dont mix, as well as metal and alloy....STEEL to STEEL CEN! Hook it up!

Anyone have a remedy to and upgraded rear diff? Busted the case in half that same very day in dirt!!!!!!!!!!!! As well as teh driver rear axle....Parts FF002, FF002,FF323 and who else knows what else is broke int there....and upgrades dor these?

CEN Racing 06-09-2006 06:53 PM

FFS034 - 11T Steel pinion gear. Retails for $8.99

Trying to track down a steel pinion for the 14 tooth. So far I haven't found one for the replaceable clutch bells.