Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Not Much Action On Here Anymore

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 06:03 PM
crankpin
My Feedback: (15)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Not Much Action On Here Anymore

Has high gas price's got you down ?
Crank
Old 05-17-2011, 08:44 PM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Not Much Action On Here Anymore

Everyone must be flying.
Chris...
Old 05-18-2011, 02:29 AM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Work and family keep me too busy.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:59 AM
hook57
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get so busy that often times I feel like a one-armed paper hanger! Even when I go swimming I keep going in the same circle seemingly never making any headway....

hk
Old 05-18-2011, 05:07 AM
crankpin

Yes, understand. Building new removable clear corrugated roof for the other half. Back to the plane's, 10 day's.

Crank
Old 05-18-2011, 07:15 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Its motivation for me. I have really awesome kits laying around, just no drive to go out and work on them. Heck, I have been working on stripping and recovering my grandfather's Kaos for 2 years.
My classic pattern kit and to be refurbed list:

Atlanta mostly NIB, wings joined belly pan fitted, motor installed
Tiger Tail III NIB
Super Curare NIB
Kaos .60 Refurb, spackle and sand stage
Banshee, fuse stripped, needs new cores
Mach 1 refurb, need to finish stripping, and build new wing or reattach sheeting on existing.

Many many Warbirds to finish/start. I just need a fire under my *****.
Crohn's Disease does make it tough to get going somedays, but mainly its just laziness
Old 05-18-2011, 07:22 AM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still dealing with emptying my old house and finding room for stuff in the new place. My truck is still full of stuff for Goodwill.

I did manage to work on the Sun Fly 5 for a couple hours last night.

Gas prices? No worries for me, I just got a $1200/month raise!
Old 05-18-2011, 08:24 AM
R_G
My Feedback: (1)

Frustrated with all the "Time Out" errors here! Startin' to get old! []
Old 05-18-2011, 08:31 AM
crankpin

Gas Crisis : It is not going to go away, we have to get used to it. In 1972 or 73, I was working in Philly. Our local manager called me at the hotel, 0330. He said we have to get in the gas line. Gas shortage, 21% interest rate's, Carter was president. My 4WD get's about 17 around town, 21 on the highway, wife get's about 24 mpg on her convert. I fill them up when the tank's get to half. Fill up then is around $32 for her, $38-$40 for me.
It used to be, a guy would pull in the gas station, fill up his pickup, $30.00. Go inside, get a case of beer, carton of cigarette's, a tin of snuff, some chew, spend a total of $60.00-$70.00, never a complaint, go fishin'.

Now, he has to spend $70.00 to fill up the truck. Can't buy and smoke's, chew, or beer. Look what gas price's have done for him, no more screwing up his body.

Crank
Old 05-18-2011, 09:08 AM
stuntflyr

Hah, Ha! Funny Vince.
I'm paying 4.35 for regular. Three contests that were two day events, basically 100 dollars for gas over the weekend including a drive home every night. It beat getting a room, food, etc. Plus I was home with my sweety.

Hey Jeff,
If I had an Atlanta, no one could not keep me out of the shop! All that other stuff is mere noise.

Chris...
Old 05-18-2011, 11:01 AM
hook57

My freakin auto gas bill is about $365 a month, 400 miles roundtrip each weekfor work alone. But I feel for the folks whose budgetit really bites into. Major heartache for them.
Hey Jeff, trust me me on this, you will not like that Tiger Tail III, do what Crankpin did and just send it to me, I'll even reimburse you for your trouble!

Mark
Old 05-18-2011, 01:29 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I spend over $100 a week but pass the cost on to the customer so I don't care as much. I used to own a twin engine (Chevy 350's) cabin cruiser. It was way too big for skiing but we tried and at 15,000 lbs empty it would put up a huge wake for tubing. But that would run up a gas bill in a hurry, fuel at the marina is always 50% higher than on the street. It's the people on fixed income that hurt when necessities prices skyrocket.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:24 PM
crankpin

Have you guy's ever noticed, gas and milk price's are about the same, gas goes up, milk goes up, price per gallon is close. I just wish we would charge those folk's in the middle east, $40.00 for a bushel of wheat, etc. Maybe they would change their tune, with high priced bread. Soon as we get these clown's out of Washington, we can start drilling again.
Crank
Old 05-18-2011, 07:52 PM
YellowBlueBird

I got my drivers lic. when I was 17. Gas was around 20cents a gallon. We would get together pool our dimes. Buy three gallons put the two smallest girls in the trunk and go to the drive in movie. Total cost for the evening, one buck. Lets just say the girls got in free.

A trip to the flying field costs about 20 dollars. 8 for gas and about 12 for glow fuel. And the movies were worth watching.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:59 AM
hook57

ORIGINAL: crankpin

Have you guy's ever noticed, gas and milk price's are about the same, gas goes up, milk goes up, price per gallon is close. I just wish we would charge those folk's in the middle east, $40.00 for a bushel of wheat, etc. Maybe they would change their tune, with high priced bread. Soon as we get these clown's out of Washington, we can start drilling again.
Crank
Crank, I think a very fair price would be more like $4000 a bushel, considering the end products of a bushel. If we did that, we too could sit on a gold embossed piece of porcelain when nature calls!
hook
Old 05-19-2011, 01:16 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

In 1972 a fellow named Alvin Toffler (or something like that) sold a book entitled "Future Shock". It described precisely the way that America was going to be dismantled with all of its jobs fleeing overseas and how we babyboomers would get the short end of the stick. If he was completely right, the worst is still to come...

Every time I try to get back flying, something else related to aging comes up that needs attention first. Those "things" are beginning to come up faster than I can handle them. The writing is on the wall. But it is still fun to talk about flying and "the old days" with you fellows. I guess I can't really complain.

Ed Cregger