Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Never to late...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 08:54 AM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Never to late...

Hi,

Yes both the old 27 MHz and FASST 2.4 Ghz works.
It is in 2.4 Ghz that servos are not quiet. I have tried many different Futaba FAAST receivers including the 7 chFutaba R617FS that it has been the intention touse. I have tried many different servos, Futaba digital and analog and other brands, it is the same problem. It is over my head.
Has to go back to Mr Stillman.

/Bo
Old 10-31-2012, 11:38 AM
hook57
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: bem

HI,

This remid me of posting that my Proline Competition Series (1975) was converted to Futaba FASST with Futaba TM-7 module by Radio South. It works but the servos are not still (at rest) in neutral and I do not dare to fly with it. So it have to go back to Tony Stillman at Radio South for a second check.

/Bo
Bo, glad to see it worked out with your Pro-Line. If you pull the back off, I'm guessing it only required three wires connected via a deans plug to the encoder output (maybe four if it needed a pull up resistor). Can you show a pic of that? Regarding the servo chatter, is it one, two, a few, or all channels? In my case, one of the PLs has chatty elevator servo, the other is a chatty rudder servo. In both cases the battery leaked prior to my obtaining the Tx's. What I had learned, is that it is most likely the blue pot (if that's what it's called)on the encoder that is bad, not theAB potson the gimbals or the fact that it's 2.4 now. I looked at the pic of the encoder and it was pretty grungy looking from the leaking nicad. I even had some past discussions with Tony S. regarding this. I was able to get it tobe minimal, but I did only use it in sport planes. I plan to put a MS2K encoder in it soon (it is finished, just not fully tested yet). In any case, let us know what you find out from Radio South about that chatter.

Mark
Old 10-31-2012, 12:27 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mark,

Yea, that makes sense that there might be some oxidation on the pots. Even if the batts didn't leak, after a certain amount of time, pots can develop a layer of oxidation between the conductive surface and the pickup. It's often seen (or rather, heard) on volume control (or other) knobs on old audio amplifiers. Another possibility might be capacitors that are old and not quite holding steady charge.

Bo, the thing that surprises me is that Tony would have sent it back like that. RS is there to tune and make sure the radios are operating as they should. An older PL encoder shouldn't be difficult to check and replace components that don't measure up. Like Mark says though, at some point, fresh electronic components give one a little more peace of mind.

The reason the 2.4 setup is prone to chatter might be due to the lower signal voltage tolerance of the new Rx's and servos. It's possible that the Tx might be emitting voltages that fluctuate to a degree that the Rx picks up. The 27 kHz Rx and PL servos might be more tolerant. Did you notice whether the chatter differs or goes away when comparing digital and analog servos on 2.4?

David
Old 10-31-2012, 04:36 PM
etownflyer
My Feedback: (4)

Hey Guys,

I have been reading your posts about converting old radios to 2.4. I have done several Kraft and some old Futabas. Some of the conversions had servo chatter and some did not at first but started later. Looking at the supply voltage I could see small fluctations.

After trying several things I found that the 2.4 module was the culprit. Isolating it using a separate power supply stopped the chatter. Doesn't seem logical since they only draw a relative small current. Put the 2.4 module back on tx supply and started putting capacitors across the supply until I stopped the chattering. I don't remember the value right now but it was 1000-1600 mfd as I recall.

The 2.4 modules I am using are Specktrum. The sonversions work great. I am using them in sport flyers and my Quickee 500 pylon racers.

Hope this info has some value.

Good luck,

Marshall Sanderson
Old 01-10-2013, 07:15 AM
NickHawk
My Feedback: (7)

Hello,
Anybody with a schematic of the RF board of a single stick Proline competition?Or in case someone has the radio to tell me the value of the resistor directly in front of the xtal? Mine is broken and a 3/4 of it is missing.The rf board is mounted inverted on the top case part next to the rf meter.
Thank you in advance
Old 01-10-2013, 08:05 AM
Wayne Miller

Hi,

I do not have a single stick Pro Line, but I do have a two stick. I'm assuming the RF board is the same. The value of the reistor is 4,700 ohm (4.7K) - Yellow, Purple, Red, Gold

I'm attaching a couple of pictures that may help.

Let me know if this helps.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89988.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	1838849   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50640.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	1838850  
Old 01-10-2013, 01:51 PM
NickHawk

Thank you very much Wayne indeed it is the same rf board and I fixed it already. I will post some pictures after I complete the renovation. The tx came in a filthy box with a lot of dirt ,I hope during the weekend to finish it.
Regards,
Nick
Old 01-10-2013, 02:45 PM
Wayne Miller

Hi Nick,

I am glad I was able to help you.

I do not have schematics, but if I can help with anything else, please let me know.

I will probably be converting mine to 2.4 using a 2.4 RF module, probably using one from a Hitec Aurora A9, that is, if I do not sell the ProLine - the sticks are really nice in the ProLine radio.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne
Old 01-10-2013, 03:49 PM
NickHawk

Don't sell it it has a very high value for any modeler who was in business back in the 70ies.I did convert mine to 2,4 tonight I could not resist it. It works !!!I used an FRSKY module but I am planning to replace it with a Jeti Duplex soon.I have very little knowledge of electronics but I will do it just to revive the old good days.I do not want to alter the TX so I will have to be creative.
Regards and thanks again
Nick
Old 01-10-2013, 05:50 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nick,

Do you have any "in air" experience with the FrSky modules and Rx's?

I've been thinking of trying one out on my Kraft 7C and, eventually, on the MS2K project I have in mind (another Kraft but SS).

David
Old 01-10-2013, 09:44 PM
NickHawk

Yes Dave I do,we have a couple of guys in the club with the frsky system,one with a JR and the other Futaba. They use the old system and they never had a problem.I converted three radios myself a Kraft gold metal series a Futaba FP N six channel and as you saw above the Proline SS . Except the Proline the other two were flown several times and the frsky performed excellent.I used the newer hack module with the three point switch and the non telemetry capable RX's. Later I replaced the frsky with the MLINK from Multiplex as I do have several RX's and I do not need to buy more from FRsky. I am very interested on the conversion of the Kraft SS series 72 and I will give it a try soon. Which SS do you want to convert?
Regards,
Nick
Old 11-14-2013, 05:24 PM
STEVE HOSNER

I just purchased a Competition 6 transmitter and need the schematic for the charger. Any one have any ideas?
If needed, I would be interested in buying a charger to help make the process easier.

Thanks in advance.

Steve Hosner
Old 11-16-2013, 05:32 PM
crankpin
My Feedback: (15)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would like to get this one to 2.4. Trans only, and I do have a charger. Can't beat these gimbals.

Vince
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P-Line DS.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	1939866  
Old 11-16-2013, 05:55 PM
hook57
My Feedback: (21)

Originally Posted by crankpin
I would like to get this one to 2.4. Trans only, and I do have a charger. Can't beat these gimbals.

Vince
Hey Vince,
Are you willing to try the 2.4 yourself or do you want it done by a radio shop? If by a shop, I would recommend sending it to Tony S. If you go DIY, I would strongly consider the Extreme Power Systems 2.4 module with the Nano receiver(s). I had one Pro Line SS done and I did the other myself, I've done two Krafts and six MP8Ks, all work great. Let me know f you need any info.
Mark