Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Name the plane?

Old 05-15-2020, 06:37 PM
bjr_93tz

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Name the plane?

Hoping somebody might recognise either of these two designs?
The red/white one looks like one of these, https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=9679 but the stab/tail is different. It belonged to an old guy who just wanted to see it fly so we stuck a .75 in it and gave it a few flights, it also had electric retracts. I'm guessing it was a 70's design?

This one is of most interest to me. The film it was developed on says '76 so it has to be a late 60's early 70's design. It's not a Sig Kobra or Kougar unless it's been modified a lot? The second picture is not good but the yellow plane in front of it is a Midwest Strikemaster. The "F-8" wasn't a large plane, but it was still a .60 sized ship and had won a pattern comp or two.

Thanks for any input.
Brett

Last edited by bjr_93tz; 05-16-2020 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-07-2020, 12:06 PM
speed-panzer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maxey Hester's Komet?

Any chance the first plane in your post could be a Komet, designed by Maxey Hester, later kitted by SIG?
Old 07-13-2020, 12:26 PM
carlgrover

I was thinking Komet too.

carl
Old 08-11-2020, 03:16 PM
bjr_93tz

I just had a look at a Komet build thread and I don't think so. The Komet appears to have a straight, or slightly swept back trailing edge, the fuse seems deeper compared to the length and the fin and horizontal stab is different.

The Fin and Stab on that first plane is a real quandary, there just don't appear to be any pattern ships that used a single elevator piece. The vast majority of designs use a single rudder and split elevator. The "F-8" has a single elevator and looks like a Sig Kobra and Cougar but isn't.

Thank you for your leads.
Old 08-29-2020, 06:49 PM
Bikerboy53
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm gonna take a stab at this and say its a Bridi "Escape"
Old 09-05-2020, 10:57 PM
bjr_93tz

Originally Posted by Bikerboy53 View Post
I'm gonna take a stab at this and say its a Bridi "Escape"
Thanks but the plane in the picture was onto it's 2nd owner in a regional area of Australia by1977, plus the tail feathers are very different, however that got me looking at Joe Bridi designs. The ugly bubble canopy and rearward swept trailing edge on the wing looks like it could be a side mounted engine, Bridi UFO but the back end is oddball for pattern designs of the day.

It might be a home brew design, flogging off a bit from from one plane here and from another plane there? Dad had a Kaos around the same time so Bridi designs were known to fliers in that area at that time.
Old 07-21-2021, 09:51 PM
bjr_93tz

Originally Posted by bjr_93tz View Post
Hoping somebody might recognise either of these two designs?
The red/white one looks like one of these, https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=9679 but the stab/tail is different. It belonged to an old guy who just wanted to see it fly so we stuck a .75 in it and gave it a few flights, it also had electric retracts. I'm guessing it was a 70's design?

Thanks for any input.
Brett

I think I might have found it? A Truline Agrovator judging by the pictures. The picture on the box shows the canopy tha same as mine, the built plane in the images appears to have the canopy extended to the spinner. Also the built plane has a strip on top of the fin.

The fin/stab arrangement is the giveaway. Very unusual on a pattern ship.

Found on a book of faces page. XXX/groups/793943234147383/user/690246654/

Last edited by bjr_93tz; 07-21-2021 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-21-2021, 10:03 PM
bjr_93tz

Wow, the magic happens when you know what words to type into a search engine. Somebody asking the same question here (and got a correct reply) just over a decade ago..

Name these 2