Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Tipo info

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 06:53 PM
Fxrs_tim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tipo info

I recently picked up a Tiporare kit on epay and have a couple of observations, and a couple of questions to go along. I've only seen Tipos that were kitted by GP, but this is a "Deluxe Tiporare" kitted by W-K Hobbies, 243 North Main St, Centerville, OH 46459. Anybody heard of this version and have any info on the company, etc?

The fuselage is epoxy glass and has a fairly significant seam line, but other than that seems to be fairly pinhole free and of good quality - nothing that can't be smoothed! Wings/stabs are foam w/ 1/16 sheeting, and ailerons are a sandwich of (2) 1/4 x 1 1/4 triangle pieces, something I haven't seen before.

I also recently picked up an OS 61RF rear exhaust. At the time I sort of remembered hearing that rear exhaust engines weren't recommended on Tipos/Curares because of probs w/ the pipe blanking the stabs. This is mentioned again in the instructions for the kit and they recommend adjusting a bottom-mounted pipe to lock in knife edge flight. Any comments/experience with this?

I'll probably do a build thread on this as soon as I clean off my bench (too embarrassing to show pics right now!). I need to decide whether to build this now, or finish my 1/2 built Curare.... decisions, decisions. I'm just hoping it doesn't turn into a 13 year build!!

Tim

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85948.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	414903  
Old 02-24-2006, 10:33 PM
impactiq
My Feedback: (57)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tipo info

The WK Tiporare is a better one when compared to the GP kit. The glass/epoxy work is where the difference is. I have both versions. The GP Tipo fuse is prone to stress cracks.

The ailerons are done as you mentioned. By gluing 2 pieces of wood together,it make for a stiffer aileron that should not flex at higher speeds.

The answer to your question about the rear exhaust..... I have done 2 with rear exhaust engines in the past. The biggest problem with the rear exhaust In a Tiporare is the amount of material that is removed from the side of the fuse and firewall (to clear a header) when the engine is installed. In the original Tipo plans that were published in MAN. It recommends that the amount of Anhedral in the stab be decreased when using a rear exhaust engine. I did one both ways with little difference between the two.

As far as the tuned pipe goes... The thing here is to keep the pipe straight with the center line (a good reference is the seam where the fuse sides is joined together) of the fuse. A tuned pipe that is cocked to one side could cause unwanted yaw in a maneuver.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:53 PM
impactiq
My Feedback: (57)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW: "Tiporare Deluxe" means that all wood/hardward is included. It could be bought 2 ways. There was a short kit with the fuse, foam cores and the plywood parts or the version you have.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:37 PM
Fxrs_tim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Impactiq, I appreciate it.

Tim