Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Bridi XLT Airfoil?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 11:49 AM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bridi XLT Airfoil?

Does anyone happen to know what airfoil was used on the XLT? I am planning to scratch build one from plans and there are no airfoil templates shown. It looks a lot like a Naca N64 or N63 series, but I would prefer to be sure. I could fudge it from the section view shown, but it would be nice to plot an accurate set of templates to cut the cores with.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 04-05-2006, 12:04 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Bridi XLT Airfoil?

Why scratch build when bridiairplane sells the kit at a reasonable price. Temporary out of stock, but $110 US for the kit and $25.00 shipping is not a bad price.

http://www.bridiairplanes.com/hangar/xlt.html

Sorry, saw your previous thread on having the plans.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:09 PM
mmattockx

ORIGINAL: jpurcha

Why scratch build when bridiairplane sells the kit at a reasonable price. Temporary out of stock, but $110 US for the kit and $25.00 shipping is not a bad price.

I agree that the price is fair. Shipping is only $31.00 to Canada and that includes the cores... But, there are a number of reasons:

1) I want to use contest wood to keep the weight down and I hate to pay for something I am going to toss aside.
2) I want to change some of the stock sizes and will need to redraw the formers to suit my new arrangement.
3) I want to cut wing cores that extend into the aileron area and cut the ailerons out as per typical foam wing practices instead of using wood stock for the ailerons and trailing edge.
4) I have the plans in hand.

And I really like scratch building...[8D]

Mark
Old 04-05-2006, 01:51 PM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: mmattockx

ORIGINAL: jpurcha

I agree that the price is fair. Shipping is only $31.00 to Canada and that includes the cores... But, there are a number of reasons:

1) I want to use contest wood to keep the weight down and I hate to pay for something I am going to toss aside.

If this kit is like the older Bridi kits, that would almost be a waste of time and money. The Bridi kits were near contest grade.
2) I want to change some of the stock sizes and will need to redraw the formers to suit my new arrangement.
3) I want to cut wing cores that extend into the aileron area and cut the ailerons out as per typical foam wing practices instead of using wood stock for the ailerons and trailing edge.
4) I have the plans in hand.

And I really like scratch building...[8D]

I really don't understand this improvement of classic designs. If you are flying regular pattern then modify it to be competitive by all means. But these older designs are not competitive much beyond sportsman, and they are basically nostalgic sports planes.

Mark
Old 04-05-2006, 02:10 PM
mmattockx

I really don't understand this improvement of classic designs. If you are flying regular pattern then modify it to be competitive by all means. But these older designs are not competitive much beyond sportsman, and they are basically nostalgic sports planes.
I am not a competition flyer at all. I want to change some things to get a lighter aircraft and simplify construction somewhat. I agree, it is simply tinkering for my own satisfaction and nothing much more. I should save some weight, but mostly it's my own desire to tinker. I love the way these old planes look and would rather build one of them than another profile Extra or similar. YMMV, it's simply what I like to do in the hobby.

Mark
Old 04-05-2006, 02:41 PM
Sport_Pilot

I love the way these old planes look and would rather build one of them than another profile Extra or similar. YMMV, it's simply what I like to do in the hobby.
IMO the XLT doesn't look that much differant than many of the less sophisticated modern pattern planes used in sportsman. Play to your hearts content.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:20 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Mark,

I’m with you! I really like the looks and flight characteristics of the “classics” and I have no problem at all building and flying them just for fun.

I’ve tried my best but I can’t muster any enthusiasm for the pattern aircraft designed after 1995. I’ve looked at all the websites and spent a lot of time on the pattern forum and there just isn’t anything I see that looks as cool as a Tiporare, Blue Angel, XLT, etc.

It would be great to have a XLT build thread on our forum.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:29 PM
Sport_Pilot

I can’t muster any enthusiasm for the pattern aircraft designed after 1995.
Should that have been earlier than 95?
Old 04-05-2006, 03:30 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel that a lot of this alleged modern sophistication is merely day dreaming and wishful thinking. Most tuning of designs is arrived at empirically - just as it used to be. One minor change in the judging rules and all of that sophistication can end up working against the pilot. BTDT

I fail to see how modern pattern planes are significantly "better" than the older designs. Better at today's pattern requirements? Yes. Better at the old pattern requirements? No way. Both old classics and modern pattern designs were tuned to fly the pattern of their era. The modern designs would not fare well if taken back in time to fly against the classic models in contests of their era. The judges back then would kill the modern planes points-wise and deem them clumsy and slow. Which they are, relatively speaking.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:22 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

I can’t muster any enthusiasm for the pattern aircraft designed after 1995.
Should that have been earlier than 95?
No!
Old 04-05-2006, 05:19 PM
mmattockx

I feel that a lot of this alleged modern sophistication is merely day dreaming and wishful thinking. Most tuning of designs is arrived at empirically - just as it used to be. One minor change in the judging rules and all of that sophistication can end up working against the pilot. BTDT

I fail to see how modern pattern planes are significantly "better" than the older designs. Better at today's pattern requirements? Yes. Better at the old pattern requirements? No way. Both old classics and modern pattern designs were tuned to fly the pattern of their era.
Can't say "better", just different. As you point out, they are merely competition tools that reflect the requirements of the competition at the moment they were designed and used. And the people in this forum prefer the flight characteristics and looks of aircraft from a ways back. Nothing wrong with the new stuff (except nobody builds...) but it is not what we are looking for out of the hobby.

Mark