Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

KAOS AND RELATED PLANES AND INFO

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 04:47 PM
MostlyKaos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Juggernaut...That is really nice work, I just fastened the canopy with screws. Pictures of mine are on page 25
Old 01-10-2014, 04:28 PM
juggernaut47201

Thanks Mostly Kaos. In post 25 you said that was your 1st kit... so good job, and I hoped you enjoyed building from kit. It is certainly very gratifying and a different aspect of this hobby. I hoped I have helped you, there are a lot of good ideas people are doing in these Forums. I know I've learned from others on this post. So, your are a 49er's fan... I used to live in the bay area.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:28 PM
MostlyKaos

Juggernaut...Thanks. The Bridi Utter Kaos was my first kit, I bought it from Blue Jay. I am going to get another kit from Blue Jay soon. I actually have two K&B 61's (one used and one new) that I bought just for that kit. At the last minute I decided to install the OS 65AX. There are a lot of great contributors on this forum, like yourself. I also have learned a BUNCH from this forum.

Quite a weather change from here to Indiana. My wife is actually the 49er fan, and like to root for them too.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:41 AM
Falcon6667

juggernaut4720
that's a great looking plane!!!
I am just finishing up a sun fly.....
Old 01-12-2014, 12:24 PM
juggernaut47201

Thanks Falcon... how about a couple of pics of your Sun Fly.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:38 PM
Falcon6667

Default sunfly 4

Its covered with ultra coat,,powered with a evo 10,,,Futaba radio
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9813.JPG
Views:	877
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	1956919   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9814.JPG
Views:	988
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	1956920  
Old 01-16-2014, 10:48 PM
roncoleman
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Juggernaut,

That's one fine looking Chaos and it does have that classic look. Don't forget the flight report, I really would like to know the effects of your additional fin area. I had planned to use those same color on the Vagabond but I had a Sig Something Extra kit staring at me so I went with the maroon. Coming up with a color scheme can be the hardest part of a build. Being that I'm in Arizona, I initially planed to do the Kaos in Arizona state flag colors like the Super Curare on pg. 2 of the Super Curare thread. Then at the last minute I change my mind and decided to go with the look of my SK60 from pg. 1 of this thread. I got this big brother/little brother idea working. I'll stay with the orange and white and wing canopy for the SK60 whenever I get it done.

It looks like you might be using the kit supplied nut and bolt control horns. If you are make sure you keep an eye on your elevator. When I lost my first Vagabond back in the 80's all indications pointed to the nut coming loose. I had to retighten the nut on the elevator after the first flight. I didn't notice anything on the first flight but on the second, the elevator start acting up bad enough to crash the plane. I went with the Du-Bro version on the current Vagabond as there is no chance of the nut coming loose. Also, what is the black stuff you are using on your wing saddle? Some type of weather stripping? Where did you get that stuff from? I use to like using the old Ace R/C black foam rubber for the wing saddle but I can't find the stuff anymore.

When it comes to canopies as you can see on the Kaos, I always make a canopy floor out of 1/8th" balsa (even on the Wing's canopy you used) as it adds more glue area and a stronger glue joint. No edges to cover, they are all sealed under the canopy floor. I did have any yellow paint to paint the bottom edge of the canopy so I tried to do a paintless edge by putting yellow monokote on the outside edge of the floor and covered the top as you see. There were unplanned air bubbles in the glue when I applied it, so that is what you are seeing in the photos. I think it came out ok, being that I was trying something new. I think if I had applied the glue with a paint brush I may have been able to eliminate about 90 percent of the air bubbles. I'll try it again the next time I have to attach a bubble type canopy. Or maybe someone else will give it a try and post pictures here.

The Vagabond crash was no big deal. I saw it as me getting my hands slapped for building model airplanes instead of studying for an exam I should take. The last kit I built was in 85 so doing these two and even the repair job has been nothing but fun. The best two months I've had in a long time. But the next time I do a marathon building session, all flying will have to be put on hold until the last model is done.

Last edited by roncoleman; 01-17-2014 at 01:11 AM.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:39 PM
roncoleman
My Feedback: (14)

Falcon,

That's a nice looking Sunfly. Do a flight report if you can please. I for one would like to know how well your Sunfly and the evo 10 handles. BTW I meant to compliment you sometime ago on you great looking Kaos. I went through thread and there have been a lot of good looking models posted over the years. I think you and Juggernaut have the best looking kaos posted so far. There's one other but the guy didn't post it here. How well does your electric kaos fly?

MostlyKaos,

That's a nice Chaos also. I like that metallic red and white. How do you like the way it flies.

Last edited by roncoleman; 01-17-2014 at 12:03 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:52 AM
Falcon6667

Originally Posted by roncoleman
Falcon,

That's a nice looking Sunfly. Do a flight report if you can please. I for one would like to know how well your Sunfly and the evo 10 handles. BTW I meant to compliment you sometime ago on you great looking Kaos. I went through thread and there have been a lot of good looking models posted over the years. I think you and Juggernaut have the best looking kaos posted so far. There's one other but the guy didn't post it here. How well does your electric kaos fly?

MostlyKaos,

That's a nice Chaos also. I like that metallic red and white. How do you like the way it flies.
The electric kaos flys great..its a blu jay kit (40)
About the test flight I sure will, I am holding off till I get my new glasses from the VA.........
Old 02-18-2014, 09:31 AM
SushiHunter

Nice looking Kaos'. I'm in the process of building a Komet (90% completed) and these two look somewhat a like. Komet's a big bird and sort of interesting that the plans call for a .40 to .50 sized engine. It must have been a really smooth & easy flying bird with that sized engine and the size of the bird. Mine's got a OS Max .65AX though so I'm hoping it will be a bit more. I've made some structural enhancements to the Komet to accommodate the larger power plant.

Last edited by SushiHunter; 02-18-2014 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:36 PM
ke6gkc

To all of the Kaos/Chaos lovers out there. I just purchased a Total Chaos kit that is almost complete. It is missing the wing ribs. Does anybody have the airfoil that Bridi used so I can draw up my own ribs. Or if you have a copy of the ribs that would be even better.

Thanks for the help
Bruce
Old 05-02-2014, 08:03 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ke6gkc
To all of the Kaos/Chaos lovers out there. I just purchased a Total Chaos kit that is almost complete. It is missing the wing ribs. Does anybody have the airfoil that Bridi used so I can draw up my own ribs. Or if you have a copy of the ribs that would be even better.

Thanks for the help
Bruce
I am almost positive it is an NACA 0015. I changed my recent Sunfly to an NACA 0018, but most certainly, the NACA oo15 is close enough if not exact. You can verify to your plans. Print out a section of the NACA 0015, then cut it out and hold it over to match.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:34 AM
DSW
My Feedback: (17)

Thanks for the help
Bruce
Hi Bruce,
i have a set of original plans from my Bridi 60 that I can copy the rib profile for you. Il not be home until next week.
Dave
Old 05-03-2014, 03:37 AM
Falcon6667

Thanks for the help
Bruce
try>>>---->http://www.lazer-works.com/misc.html
Old 05-03-2014, 04:42 AM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
I am almost positive it is an NACA 0015. I changed my recent Sunfly to an NACA 0018, but most certainly, the NACA oo15 is close enough if not exact. You can verify to your plans. Print out a section of the NACA 0015, then cut it out and hold it over to match.
VG,

if memory serves the original Kaos had an 18%+ foil. The Super Kaos was slightly thinner, if any, but not much. Maybe 17%+. I'm also not sure they are NACA foils but they're probably close enough if not.

NACA 15% foils (or rather, their hand drawn equivalents) were used on his later Dirty Birdy designs (20, 40 & 60) while the subsequent UFO reverted back to a slightly thicker foil.

The thick symmetric (tapered wing) Kaos foil is largely responsible for its aerobatic potential yet low stall speed easy landing behaviour.

David
Old 05-03-2014, 04:55 AM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the help
Bruce
Bruce,

if you want to match the foil cut into the fuse sides, trace the cutout on to paper about a drawn horizontal centerline. Position the fuse side so the top is parallel to the sheet edge. Put a ruler on the sheet along the centerline and take a picture with your phone. Email it to yourself and then in CAD, scale the photo to correct size. Trace the foil, mirror it, draw the spar, LE, TE, sheeting and other details and you'll have the correct rib template for your model. You can scale this rib (absent Profili or Compufoil) to produce the others but keep the TE (hinge line) constant.

Once drawn, you can check what percentage foil your particular kit was designed for. If it's a more recent kit, I suspect it will have a ~17% foil or thereabouts.

David
Old 05-03-2014, 07:19 AM
vertical grimmace

I have the plans for the Killer Kaos. I can make a copy and try to email it to you as well, if that helps. I do like how the 18% flie, that is why I went with that on my Sun Fli. I did not realize the Kaos line used different thicknesses. Not a surprise though.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:30 AM
albertomi

Hi bruce, I have the plan
Old 05-03-2014, 06:02 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 8178
Thanks raindav! It is just a standard Tower Kaos 40 kit with a narrowed fuselage, a more rounded top and an enclosed nose on the front. My rule is, build them light and the more power the better. For my flying style, it is imposable to be too fast with a “classic” pattern aircraft. On my next one I’ll lower the engine thrust line a little for a better nose shape.
I have one NIB Tower Kaos 40, and was wondering what modifications you would recommend to this ARF.......I have heard the covering has to go, but other than that - nothing............your comments are welcomed!

Jerry
Old 05-03-2014, 06:17 PM
MTK

Originally Posted by tailskid
I have one NIB Tower Kaos 40, and was wondering what modifications you would recommend to this ARF.......I have heard the covering has to go, but other than that - nothing............your comments are welcomed!

Jerry
That is the one most distasteful chores regarding ARFies....peeling the wrinkle kote and redoing the job...Heck if you're gonna go thru that much trouble, might as well re-do it in silk and dope.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:12 PM
ke6gkc

First off thanks to all who replied to my request. I think I have found a way to duplicate the ribs. I will let you know how it goes soon. Albert I have the plans and it shows the root rib but no others, thank you for the offer.

Bruce
Old 05-03-2014, 09:18 PM
vertical grimmace

First off thanks to all who replied to my request. I think I have found a way to duplicate the ribs. I will let you know how it goes soon. Albert I have the plans and it shows the root rib but no others, thank you for the offer.

Bruce
The tip rib will be the same as the root, just smaller. If you need to, I am sure you can source either a laser cut set of ribs or a foam wing. Check with Dynamic Balsa for the foam, if that is the way you would like to go. Probably the easiest really.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:57 AM
albertomi

Mine shows all the 9 ribs. if you want, I can send it to you, tu your Email
Old 05-04-2014, 07:20 PM
ke6gkc

Albetomi, the Total Chaos has 11 ribs. The Super Kaos and the Kaos 60 both have a different wing design. I found plans for them at www.outerzone.co.uk
The Total Chaos seems to be an unusual or rare kit. I did a search on it and couldn't find any info. The only info I have is, it is a kit from Hobby Barn as stated on the plans. It is very similar to the Killer Chaos but the wing is a little longer. If anybody has more info than I do please share.

Thanks again Bruce
Old 06-08-2014, 08:25 AM
JRgraham

Had this Kaos sitting around for a few years, stripped to refurbish and fly again, but was always something else to come up preventing me from working on it..
Well, I recently nabbed an old YS 60 short stroke from my Dad that had barely been broke in, and sat in a box since something like 1987 and it got me motivated to finish the Kaos up.
The nose was built around a slight smaller engine, and was too tight for the YS, so I just cut the nose off. I have a mold started to create a fiberglass cowling for it later, but I wanted to get the thing finished up and flying first to see if its worthy of the extra work.

I fit the Rudder and elevator servo's back mid way in the tail, remade all the push rods and replaced all control horns, removed the center aileron servo and linkage and installed a servo on each aileron to give a better precision and mixing ability for later.

This YS is the original 60 short stroke motor from early 80's, with a Hatori 650 tuned pipe (fairly certain its a 650) also from the same erra. Fitted with an 11x11 APC prop, the motor screams. Throttle response is as rapid as the thumbs will allow, its a pretty impressive little motor!
I only was able to get two take off's and immediate landings, since the header pipe coupler kept popping off right after take off.. but it took off pretty straight right off the board, I think 2 clicks of aileron was all needed. I will hunt down some more header pipe coupler material, and try again later this week.

I really have no idea what actual Kaos this is being it was given to me a few years ago by another club member, but it did appear to be scratch built at least by a set of plans.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-07 13.40.47.jpg
Views:	950
Size:	416.9 KB
ID:	2002412   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-07 13.41.09.jpg
Views:	944
Size:	366.3 KB
ID:	2002413   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-07 13.41.21.jpg
Views:	1084
Size:	417.5 KB
ID:	2002414   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-07 13.41.52.jpg
Views:	949
Size:	367.0 KB
ID:	2002415   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-07 13.42.10.jpg
Views:	862
Size:	366.1 KB
ID:	2002416  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.