Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Kaos Experts...How many were there and how did they differ?

Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Kaos Experts...How many were there and how did they differ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 09:13 PM
tucker1865
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kaos Experts...How many were there and how did they differ?

I think this question will help a lot of us who know only a little about the Kaos/Chaos. How many different Kaos and Kaos types were there and how did they differ. I can name some...Kaos .61, Kaos Jr., Super Kaos, SuperKaos 40, Tower and Great Planes Kaos, Ultimate Kaos, Utter Kaos, Killer Chaos (after sale), Sun Fli and Dirty Bridy and you could throw in the Kwick Fli even though it was not a Joe Bridi design, and thats about all I can remember. Tell us how they differ from on another. Thanks
Old 02-26-2007, 10:27 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Kaos Experts...How many were there and how did they differ?

This is a good and valid question, but shouldn't the answer go in the Kaos Sticky at the top of the forum?

David
Old 02-27-2007, 01:17 AM
glowplugboy
My Feedback: (17)

I can comment on the "Utter Chaos". It varies from the Super Kaos 60 in the following ways: Longer tail moment with a more slender fuse, has a Curare wing (that's what is said in the description) which had a thinner airfoil, built up tail feathers. I put one of those fiberglass canopy/pipe covers Bridi used with all of his modern pattern designes and ran a rear exhaust .61 in mine. I placed second at the Southwest Championships in Dallas, Texas back in 1982 with it in what was then called "Sportsman", which would be the eqivalent of today's "Intermediate". Very honest and fast airplane. Rolled very nicely with little coupling.
Regards,
GPB
Old 02-27-2007, 05:40 PM
tucker1865

Rainedave.....I put the question here because I thought it might get lost in the Sticky...I don't know how to move it and evidently we are not allowed to post the same question in two different forums.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:38 PM
Ed_Moorman

The first Kaos was just the Kaos. We didn't have .61s in those days, only .60s. The plans came out in RC Modeler in 1970. Before that was the Sun Fli IV. The original Kaos has cheek cowls and a wood beam mount with 3 degrees of right turnst and 3 degrees of down thrust. They also had a sub fin. I had 3 of them.

The next Kaos was the Super Kaos, which could have been named something else since a lot was changed. I know for sure it has a cowled engine, no sub fin, a deeper nose for retracts, the wing was raised and moved forward. The wing also may have been a little bigger, but I can't remember.

The Super Kaos Jr., a .40 sized plane, came out next. The Dirty Birdy followed. It has a thinner wing and was fast.

The rest of the Kaoses were just trading on the Kaos name, in my opinion. That being said, the Tower Kaos is a good flying plane. I owned one for a while just for nostalgia.

Here's a picture of my first one, re-built from one that was crashed. Note that I added a long curved dorsal to the fin. I can not build a plane stock. Also note the lack of muffler and the rotating exhaust cover. That was standard for the day. Were we loud!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33110.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	631107  
Old 02-27-2007, 07:46 PM
rainedave

Hey, tucker1865. Sorry if I sounded rude!

I think it's a great question and once the chronology and subtle differences all get worked out we can paste it in the Sticky so it will always be at the top of the forum and we won't have to use the search tool to find it. That's all I really meant. Just so it will be easy for everyone to access with one click.

David
Old 02-27-2007, 11:11 PM
tucker1865

David...No problemo.....Don't you have some input.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:50 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ed_Moorman

The first Kaos was just the Kaos. We didn't have .61s in those days, only .60s. The plans came out in RC Modeler in 1970. Before that was the Sun Fli IV. The original Kaos has cheek cowls and a wood beam mount with 3 degrees of right turnst and 3 degrees of down thrust. They also had a sub fin. I had 3 of them.

The next Kaos was the Super Kaos, which could have been named something else since a lot was changed. I know for sure it has a cowled engine, no sub fin, a deeper nose for retracts, the wing was raised and moved forward. The wing also may have been a little bigger, but I can't remember.

The Super Kaos Jr., a .40 sized plane, came out next. The Dirty Birdy followed. It has a thinner wing and was fast.

The rest of the Kaoses were just trading on the Kaos name, in my opinion. That being said, the Tower Kaos is a good flying plane. I owned one for a while just for nostalgia.

Here's a picture of my first one, re-built from one that was crashed. Note that I added a long curved dorsal to the fin. I can not build a plane stock. Also note the lack of muffler and the rotating exhaust cover. That was standard for the day. Were we loud!

-------------------

I just bought three OS.60 Goldheads, like the one on your fine looking Kaos. One is NIB, the rest show some usage.

I have the same afflication as you, I can't build a model in stock form to save my - uh - well, you know what I mean. I've built several Kaos and Super Kaos kits (and flown them), plus the Super Kaos Jr. (52.5" wingspan) and an Utter Chaos (ASP .61 ABC). I presently have one each Kaos, Super Kaos and Killer Kaos kits. Yes, the Kaos could make anyone look good while flying, even me.

As an aside, I'm also a big fan of Joe Bridi's Trainer .40 and .60, plus Great Planes interations of same.

Ed Cregger
Old 03-01-2007, 12:04 AM
Roary m
My Feedback: (67)

I flew the original Kaos 60 with the open nose; what a low stress plane, and yes, it made me look good also which was no small feat.