Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Let's play trivia

Old 12-19-2007, 07:31 PM
djr1007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let's play trivia

OK guys, this time we know the name of the plane "OMEN". Now what can anybody tell me about this thing? I bought it at an estate sale so please include your $ estimates also (don't know if I got took or not).
As you'll see, it's complete except for battery and receiver. Glass fuse, wings are foam & look like glass also.
Please note that I got the wrong wing tube (so no, the wings don't normally droop like this).
The engine is obviously YS, but before my time. I don't know if it's a 120 or 140 or what. Look close and you'll see somebody put a intake stack on this thing. Pipe is CF. Well, that's all I know for now, what can you all tell me?
Thanks for your input.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63453.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	829554   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr52975.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	829555   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20767.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	829556   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx67854.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	829557   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tf49282.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	829558   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pg61431.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	829559   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zb58493.jpg
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	829560   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ut65648.jpg
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	829561  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk87274.jpg
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	829562   Click image for larger version

Name:	Co70518.jpg
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	829563   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gm59324.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	829564   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yi43634.jpg
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	829565  
Old 12-19-2007, 07:34 PM
djr1007

Default RE: Let's play trivia

Forgot to add that Bill H. Jr. flew this thing just a few weeks ago, so it is in working order.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:04 PM
burtona
My Feedback: (50)

Don't know what you paid, but it's a very nice airplane. It was designed a few years ago by George Astaris and kitted by Precision Aero Composits. I built one a couple of years ago and it's a very good flying 2 meter plane. Not current state of the art but fully capable of flying any class. I lost mine last fall due to a battery failure. The YS engine model number is usually stamped on the mounting lug.
I'd say it's easily worth $1,000-$1,400 based on the pictures. You could not replace it for that amount.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:45 AM
vintageflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Beautiful plane there! Burtona said, it is a little outdated with all the wide bodies out there. But then again the wide bodies don't look as good as these! At least not to me.
There is a guy selling a Meridian 900 kinda like an Omen, well sort of... About same size and same "Mean" looking stance to it. He wants $875.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=350393

DM
Old 12-20-2007, 01:21 AM
djr1007

Thanks for input guys! I'm putting finishing touches on a Spot On 120 wide body right now. But I also love the look of this plane. A friend in Ga. is building a CURARE for me (was hopeing to have it for Christmas) but he's doing 4 or 6 at once and he's really into the detail of a straight ship. So I'll just be patient another month or so.
As for the Omen, I'm feeling a little better now. I paid $600 and it's complete except a receiver, so not a bad deal in the end. A local club was helping his widow with this part of his estate, so the money went to a good cause in any case.
Later.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:29 AM
vintageflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Wow.. $600 that was a great deal!!! I think that Maridian is a steal @ $875. But I already bought my X-mas present this year.
So some guy is scratch building 6 Curares? Talk about ambitious. I guess I better get off my but and finish the planes I've started [:@].
Please post some pictures here of your Curare, we Love pictures. And let us know how the Omen flies.. If you don't like it, I'll take her off your hands

DM
Old 12-20-2007, 03:28 AM
Troy Newman

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think its a 140FZ..From the photos I really think its a 140FZ.

That model was built by a friend of mine Dave Miller. I used to fly pattern with him in Colorado. About 1999 he built that model. Then shortly afterward he moved to the Tuscon area I think for health reasons.

Dave was a pretty good builder and painter. He always used to put his valve covers in a tumbler thing to take the powder coating off.

This really isn't a classic era pattern model its a late 90's turnaround ship. George Asteris Designed the Omen. I think the I flew against George in the 2000 NATS/F3A Team Selection event and George was still flying the Omen. It is a very competent airframe in Masters Class even today. It will struggle on some the FAI finals maneuvers like the rolling loops and circles but beyond that its a solid design and flies well. Not sure what shape its in but it was a good model built by a good modeler.

Troy Newman
Team YS
Old 12-20-2007, 09:22 AM
djr1007

Troy:
That's amazing! you are exactly right. Dave Miller is the name on the plane. This thing came to me via Mary & Bill. I'm in the beginners so it should take me thru a long way of training.
I and others here in Tucson are trying to breath life back into pattern (and bugging the @#$% out of Bill to re-release his Curare).
Thanks.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:49 PM
Troy Newman

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd take one of those Curare models if he does some more of them. The MK Curare was my first pattern model in 1986. Before that I flew a Super Sportster 40 with a K+B 61 on the front. It was a dog....way too heavy and other issues.

My Curare didn't last too long I was too cheap on the radio gear...well I was about 13 at the time. Futaba AM FG series radio. I still have it....but man was it prone to getting shot down. Even before the narrow band deal in 1991. I have a Narrow Band RX for it and it just needs a new Nicd....but why bother with that old hunk...

Everything now is Spektrum and JR 2.4 for my stuff.

its amazing how small a modeling world it truly is.

We have our pattern contest in PHX at Sun Valley in February. Its the last weekend I think. It turns out to be pretty good. You guys should come up. Maybe we can do a similar thing the week before like we did last year. We had guys from all over hear practicing and flying...good friends and fun from Tuesday on through the weekend. I hear the Canadians are coming this year. I also talked with Ivan Kristensen and he may start flying some pattern again...

Troy Newman
Old 12-21-2007, 01:48 AM
djr1007

Troy, sounds great! I'd love to get together with you guys and learn something. Steve Byrum in Ga. is building my Curare and is a SPA member. I'm really hoping to get renewed interest down here in Tucson for pattern. Please put me on your distribution list for that next meet in Feb.
[email protected]
Merry Christmas