Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

$56 Skymaster!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 01:10 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: $56 Skymaster!

looking at the stabs i can't help but notice the flawless wood work under the glass. no fillers of any kind, just sanded wood and glass. a bit different from the constant dings and ooops i fill during a plane's construction.

david
Old 09-14-2008, 02:03 PM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: dhal22

looking at the stabs i can't help but notice the flawless wood work under the glass. no fillers of any kind, just sanded wood and glass. a bit different from the constant dings and ooops i fill during a plane's construction.

david
Your right!! That does look like some really nice stuff!!

Nice tight bond lines...Schweet... [8D]
Old 09-18-2008, 06:13 AM
Atlanta 60

Well Darn..I think I mis-identified your plane...

I ran across a fellow who has an origional MK SkyMaster and is pretty knowledgeable about MK kits in general...He backs-up a comment we have seen others state recently "MK kits were all wood"...

Ever since I saw the Skymaster 60 on Singapore Hobbies website (5 or 6 years ago) I have been searching for information but there is Very Little info out there on this plane...Somewhere along the way I thought I remembered learning that MK originally offered the Skymaster as a wood kit and later offered the airplane in a fiberglass/foam version which was kinda like an ARC...Apparently I was mistaken...

I have some pictures of his MK Skymaster but but I hesitate to post them until I get his permission...Upon close inspection there are defiantly some differences between his airplane and yours...This, plus the fact I was wrong about MK ever offering a glass version lets me know I goofed on the ID...Dang..I hate eating Crow... [:'(]

Some of the differences I now notice between the pictures:
Your airplane's wing and horizontal stab has a different planform..The leading edge of yours is more swept
The wing mount (wing saddle) area is significantly different..
The Horizontal Stab/Elevator arrangement is different..The elevators on the Skymaster are back further and the rudder is between them..
The Vertical Stab and Rudder are different..The trailing edge of the rudder on your plane has more angle than the MK kit..
The removable pipe cover on top of the plane is different..

That is about all I can think of right now...

Having never really seen a Skymaster before in good quality photos or in real life (until now) I felt like your airplane looked very much like the MK Skymaster print..The differences are subtle enough that they don't really stand out while looking at a 2D black and white piece of paper...With the good quality photos the differences are clear...

As with the Curare, Aurora, Blue Angel and several others along the way there possibly may have been a company who did a "spin off" of the Skymaster back in the day?? That is one point this fellow I spoke with brought up and makes pretty good sense...There are quite a few versions of the Curare out there all with their subtle differences..Some all wood and some glass/foam...Then there was the PA-2 which was a fiberglass version of the Aurora and was produced by Phillips Aircraft...And as we've seen here on the RCU forums..8178's Speeda which is a very similar aircraft to his Blue Angel but a glass/foam version...This seems like a good possibility for your aircraft??

So now I'm not 100% certain on the identity of your airplane...It's a Mystery Ship...

It will be a good one though...It has the lines that I like of airplanes back in the day...It will be sweet!!

Defiantly worth $56...Plus a YS 61 AR engine to boot!!

I'll try and post some pictures after I've cleared it with the fellow who sent them to me...Or better yet I'll ask him to post them...He would be a good addition to the active member list on these forums....

Have Fun...

Chuck
Old 09-18-2008, 03:21 PM
dhal22

well well. i wonder if i can edit a thread title?[X(]

david
Old 09-18-2008, 03:58 PM
Atlanta 60

Here are some pictures of RCU member Zubba's MK Skymaster...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87204.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	1035606   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82854.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	1035607   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46252.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	1035608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59501.jpg
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	1035609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur51997.jpg
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	1035610  
Old 09-18-2008, 06:02 PM
dhal22

definitely different. when i looked yesterday i could see the vertical stab difference. hmmmm. anybody got any ideas?

david