Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Northeast SPA Event Schedule

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 08:29 AM
WEDJ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Northeast SPA Event Schedule

Oh, yes, both FB and Mark-O took photos.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:16 PM
73driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys!
Sounds like you all had a blast! Now I am really sorry I could not make it, as it turned out I had to work on Sunday anyhow (I spent the weekend in the most boring place in the world....). I look forward to hearing more and seeing the photos when posted. I am very happy to hear everyone had a great time!
Take it easy,
Jim Hamilton
Old 06-03-2008, 10:16 AM
Mad Man Marko-RCU

Hello all:

The first Northeast SPA workshop is history. All participants had a great time. Jim Hamilton you did miss a good event. Too bad you had to work but I understand. We all had some good practice and tips while being judged (first time in 15 years, scary) and we had some new blood go through the pattern for the first time (he did really well, made some of us old timers look shakey).

We hope to see more guys for the next workshop and keep the event growing up here in the northeast. FB has some real nice pictures which I'm sure will be in his report. He did a great job as event director.

I got some special help turning the stab adjustment screws the correct direction for trimming upright and inverted passes and also found out why four strokes like the heli fuel so much. Wow night and day difference in engine runs. I now have my Vic Koenig Dirty Birdy on the bench to join the WM Intruder hopefully the next time out.

Just a quick update.

Peace

Mark O
Old 06-05-2008, 10:33 PM
JPal101
My Feedback: (32)

HI Guys

I am also sorry I could not make it, sounds like your event was very productive and fun. I would like to reschedule the S.I event for August. July is a very busy month at my club, The date is up for grabs, since you have the most guys in one area maybe you could come up with a date that is good for all. I like to schedule events on a Saturday if possible. Please let me know what you decide.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:12 AM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, sorry for the delay Guys, but you knbow how life can get in the way!

Thanks for all the praise guys, but without YOU, our little workshop would not have been possible.

Last Sunday on 6/1/08, a few of us SPA types got together at the Central Connecticut Radio Control Club field for an SPA Workshop. The goal was to promote the SPA, recruite new blood, train on how to fly the patterns, but most of all, to have fun. All of which was achieved on this day.
The field was in great shape, weather was good, wind was a little on the high side, but for the most part, down the runway from the west. For us, that meant flying a left to right pattern. We kicked off at 9:30am with a handout given to each pilot that consisted of the maneuvers and judging criteria that was downloaded from the SPA website. After an excellent discussion of maneuver placement and what judges look for, it was time to fly. Below is a group shot of the pilots that participated and they are: WEDJ, Yogi, Mad Man MarkO, Rob and Freebird (behind the lens). We also had a young man show up just after we got started who is very enthusiastic about SPA and is probably going to get a Tower Kaos to start with.

FB
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50388.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	965511   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15808.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	965512  
Old 06-07-2008, 07:26 AM
WEDJ

So who's the old fat guy on the left?

Oh, it's me.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:34 AM
Free Bird

We flew three rounds and it quickly became apparent that we had some good pilots and the skills were only going to improve as the day went on. As each pilot flew his flight, he had a caller just like a contest, but the rest of us coached and critiqued the manuever as it was being flown. We believe that this process helped the pilot to fly a better maneuver as mistakes were pointed out immediately. After each flight, the group got together and pointed what they liked or didn't like and the overall impression of the flight. As expected, the first round was rough, but during the later rounds, using the lessons learned, there was quite an improvement of the flights. Mark took advantage of the trim options of his Intruder and his 2nd and 3rd flights were beautiful! Rob gave us a little scare when his engine quit on the down leg of the double stall turn, but he was able to make it back to the runway and land his Kaos without incident.

All in all, we had a great time at a wonderful flying site. We learned a lot, improved our skills and had a few laughs. (Thanks Mark!)Those that didn't make it really missed out on a unique event. I'd really like to thank those that participated for their enthusiasm and positive feedback, and to CCRCC for the use of the field!

Below are some pics of the pilots are their mounts.

FB
Old 06-07-2008, 07:36 AM
Free Bird

WEDJ and his Sr. Falcon.

Name:	Ca82874.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	965513  
Old 06-07-2008, 07:38 AM
Free Bird

Yogi and his Skylark

Name:	Cz79809.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	965514  
Old 06-07-2008, 07:39 AM
Free Bird

Rob and his Kaos 60

Name:	Sq48164.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	965515  
Old 06-07-2008, 07:41 AM
Free Bird

Mad Man Marko and his Kaos and Intruder

Name:	If10757.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	965516  
Old 06-07-2008, 07:42 AM
Free Bird

Free Bird and his Skylark

Name:	Db86559.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	965517  
Old 06-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

Excellent Guys!!

Good Stuff..

Chuck
Old 06-09-2008, 10:04 AM
kingaltair
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EXCELLENT

It is great to be able to place faces with the "posters" of the threads. You need to send this same description and photos to Bruce Underwood for the SPA newsletter. You are right, the field looks great, and you folks look happy doing what we vintage pattern buffs love to do. It doesn't seem to matter what part of the country it is, the ingredients for success are the same, enthusiasm for vintage pattern, desire to fly competitively AND for fun at the same time, and the emphasis of each individual over the event itself. When you do that, and make newcomers feel welcome while still flying inexpensive planes you are going to be successful, and draw a lot of new people. It really is the "best-kept secret within AMA", but the word is getting out.

We just had our "Hotlanta" contest this past weekend, and it lived up to its billing[8D] Gatorade was flowing freely during the day, but we still managed to have a good time. There will be contest results and pictures posted soon on the SPA web site, www.seniorpattern.com.

Like at your meet, it is particularly fulfilling and encouraging to see younger pilots with all kinds of different backgrounds come together with the same interest-to fly at a vintage pattern meet. As I have always said, this organization is not limited to "old guys" with their old relics-it's all about COMPETITION WITH vintage planes-and competition isn't age-related, and never gets old. We had several "newbies"in their 20s and early 30s join us so far this season, and we are always seeing new faces. People that watched and took it all in last year are competing this year.

Our next OFFICIAL SPA contest is in Asheville, NC July 12-13th at my home field-hosted by the Asheville ABA, (Asheville/Buncombe Aeromodelers). My hope is that at least some of you folks setting up workshops etc in the NE Chapter will come down and fly with us, as Jim Hamilton did in 2006, (hope to see you Jim), Randy S, (from the Indiana Chapter) did last weekend in preparation for his own upcoming contest. It's the very BEST way to see how it all comes together, and live the "SPA EXPERIENCE"

If anyone is considering taking me up on my invitation please contact me. I guarantee I'll make you feel welcome and give you the "red carpet" treatment.

Duane Wilson (Kingaltair)
Old 06-10-2008, 09:09 AM
73driver

Wow! Those are some fantastic pictures from what looks to be one fantastic event I wish I could have attended. I am planning on having, again, another scheduled Fly IN in Nj. I would love to start planning a date at the end of the summer or perhaps early fall. And again It will be held at the former UFly hobbies site in Freehold. Feel free to offer me some input on dates or any other suggestions as well.
I would like to really make the event worthwhile to attend, so I am working on offering some very attractive give aways and raffles if possible. As some of you may or may not know, I am closely affiliated with UFly hobbies. We are a hobby shop located at the Monmouth Executive Airport in Wall Nj. At our former location we utilized a private air strip to fly R/C and in late part of march we relocated to the Monmouth Exec. Airport (BLM). Being located on a public use airport has really been an asset to our hobby shop and has attracted new buisness and things have been steadily growing. Presently I am working towards being able to offer items to SPA events and functions to not only generate interest but to also start building funding for the NE SPA chapter to continue hosting events and growing our chapter.
Things are growing within our chapter and signs of the future are looking quite positive. Already this year we have had two Fly In events and from my observation the most recent event in Ct, was very sucessful (I really missed out on a great time....).
I really want to extend a very sincere thankyou to the CCRC club for hosting this event. The folks that organized this event did a first class top notch job of running this event. Thank you very much for working so hard to have this event. I cannot say enough on how much I personally appreciate your efforts.
Now that the ball is rolling in our chapter, I would like to ask that if anyone is interested, I would like to appoint a new secretary/ treasurer as well as a chapter events coordinator for this chapter. Any one interested please email me personally and I will pass on my phone number to you.
I would also like to ask that the guys who held the CT event to also personally email me if they could, because I would like to Thank them individually as well ( also if I could get a correspondance address fro the CCRC club to send them a personal thankyou letter on behalf on the NE SPA).

On another note, if anyone is travelling down south over the summer and can attend an SPA event down south I think it would be all the worthwhile. I attended the Asheville contest 2 years ago, and I cannot say enough about the wonderful hospitality of King Altairs (Duane Wilson) club. They have a great flying site, very scenic, and the hosting club was fantastic and had some great guys to fly with.

As far as the SI event, I really look forward to this event because last April I had a great time flying with JPAL's club. That was the first event in our chapter, that club extended unconditional hospitality and we all had a great time.

Guys, things are starting to build in our chapter, and I have no doubt that things are going to continue in that direction. As always please feel free to email me anytime with any thoughts, ideas, comments or anything else you may want to say or add.
My email is: [email protected]
until then, take it easy!
JimH

Old 06-11-2008, 09:00 PM
JPal101

Hello again,

Staten Island would love to host another flyin in August. As Jim said we had a great time at our first flyin and some good hot dogs and burgers. We can pick any weekend in August. Please give me your feedback as to when it would be convenient to all. As Jim can tell you this is a very active club and the dates go fast. So, please let me know as soon as possible.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:39 AM
Free Bird

For me, anything but the end of the month is OK.

FB
Old 06-12-2008, 03:30 PM
WEDJ

Aug 23rd would be my vote. I'm busy the first two weekends, and on the 17th would have to decide between a car show and SPA. SPA would win, of course.

August 30/31 is the VR/CS event in Endicott. I want to bring my Perigee there.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:02 PM
JPal101

Free Bird, would the 23rd be considered the end of the month for you? if you are available we could make it that date.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:14 PM
Free Bird

OK, I'm in!!!

FB
Old 06-13-2008, 06:09 AM
JPal101

OK then, the event will be on Aug. 23rd. about 10am ? Same format that you had in Connecticut.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:53 AM
WEDJ

YIPPIE!

FB, Mark-O, we should convoy.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:59 AM
73driver

I think that August 23 would be great!, Since upcoming events are the topic does anyone want to offer suggestions for a date in Nj? I had Sept or early October in mind?
JimH
Old 06-13-2008, 08:08 AM
JPal101

HI Jim

I would shoot for the end of Sept. or the beginning of Oct.

John P
Old 06-13-2008, 08:35 AM
WEDJ

To be perfectly selfish, the w/e of Sept 27/28 would not be good. Other are fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.