Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Ed Kazmirski's Taurus

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 09:39 PM
pimmnz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ed Kazmurski's Taurus

Because, as Ed explained in the 'Champ Chats' transcription, (October 1962 RCM&E) his 'Taurus' is modified from that original drawing. There was no drawing available of Eds mods, and the kit/MAN plan wasn't done, so the only way he could help Dennis with the build was to send him the sketches of the bits, and a tape to describe what was to be done.
Evan, WB #12.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:00 AM
kingaltair
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: pimmnz

Because, as Ed explained in the 'Champ Chats' transcription, (October 1962 RCM&E) his 'Taurus' is modified from that original drawing. There was no drawing available of Eds mods, and the kit/MAN plan wasn't done, so the only way he could help Dennis with the build was to send him the sketches of the bits, and a tape to describe what was to be done.
Evan, WB #12.
The Africa article says plans for the trip got underway in Nov of 1961, probably along with the "brown paper drawings and tapes". According to the prototype plans, the first flight was late November 1961. It is completely believeable that Ed could have sent some sketches and tapes while his plane was being finished up, (before its first flight), and before the plans were drawn and published. The world in 1962 was not the high tech world we have now; (e-mail attachments and PDF files couldn't even be dreamed of then). Just because the plan was drawn Dec 6, 1961 doesn't mean the plan was published and widely available right away, so sketches and drawings could very well have been the only means Dennis had to see Ed's Taurus as he was framing out his own Taurus. BTW-Just as a reminder, Dennis said he built his Taurus just in case there were problems in the shipping of his own planes. Dennis never said how many tapes and drawing were sent, only that it was done. Perhaps by the time of the trip Dennis DID receive a set of plans...we don't know.

I have to re-read Ed's statement that his plane was modified from the original plan. That plan said it was taken from the contest Taurus prototype, so it doesn't make immediate sense to me that his Taurus would be different.

Evan, do you remember where the "Champs Chat" post was, and is in in its entirely?

Thanks
Duane
Old 02-25-2009, 10:26 AM
RFJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Duane,

Can't remember when, where and by whome the article was originally posted, so quicker for me to repost rather than search. This is the RCM&E article from the October 1962 issue in it's entirety.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41044.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	307.8 KB
ID:	1144494   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86039.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	311.1 KB
ID:	1144495   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48749.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	314.4 KB
ID:	1144496   Click image for larger version

Name:	Le93428.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	1144497  
Old 02-25-2009, 01:50 PM
kingaltair

Evan, WB #12.
After re-reading the Champ Chats article, I highly recommend it be read by anyone interested in this thread. The first couple paragraphs absolutely confirms that the plane Ed used in the 1961 NATS was the stubby Taurus with the long nose and short tail moments...which he says he didn't like. Notice he describes a "several year" development period.

It is still a bit of a mystery to me why the tail cone section is reportedly longer in HIS plane than "the plans show". Since the plan included in the article mentions the plane will soon be kitted by Top Flite, Ed could have been referring to the difference between his plane and the KIT plan, it's hard to say.

The "prototype" Taurus SHOULD BE the one drawn on the original plan because the plane was built first, then the plan drawn.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:56 PM
pimmnz

My guess is, as I have said before, 'We' were building lots of prototypes, and the plan referred to has to be the 1961 blueprint, the 'short tail, short wing' Taurus that came after the long nose failure. Ed must have modified the original plan with a longer tail, as described. I have here an ancient Aeromodeller that reports that there were 19 Taurus entered in the 1962(!) US nats, so 'WE' were building lots...
Evan, WB #12.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:09 AM
pimmnz

Sorry, should give the actual reference, Aeromodeller, Feb 1963, page 86, 'R/C equipment at the US Nats'. I shall Quote, Verbatim too, "Of the 209 models flown, 19 were Taurus', 18 Orions, 19 Stormers, 12 Live Wire Champions, 6 Chargers, and 45 own designs." Guess Taurus was already popular up Chicago way, and anywhere that original blueprint got to. The RCM&E plan can only have been produced from that blueprint. With that many already flying, and who knows how many others were already built but not at the Nats, it's hardly surprising that Ed managed to modify his just a bit, there was plenty of flight experience to be had, just for the asking.
Evan, WB #12.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:06 AM
kingaltair

My guess is, as I have said before, 'We' were building lots of prototypes, and the plan referred to has to be the 1961 blueprint, the 'short tail, short wing' Taurus that came after the long nose failure. Ed must have modified the original plan with a longer tail, as described.
Maybe. Still this "Champ Chats" article must have been taped between his return from Africa in May of '62, and his '62 NATS win that summer. Not much time between early May and July to make modifications.

The very first flight of the "prototype contest Taurus" was the end of November 1961. There was not much time between December 1961 and April 1962 for Ed to test-fly the original, see the need for a modification, and scratch-build and fly the modification between his return in May '62 and the NATS in July, (I think) 1962 unless he was flying a plane at least partially built by someone else[X(]. That may be exactly what happened; rather than "multiple prototypes", Ed decided to add a little more to the tail moment, and a modified prototype was jointly built.

Perhaps we need to look at EACH of Ed's planes as a jointly built effort with Ed the "project engineer" co-builder, and pilot. I'm sure his friends would have enjoyed having a share in his success. If that is the case, the NATS Taurus of '62 wasn't totally his workmanship, (though naturally, I don't want to entertain the possibility that Ed didn't PERSONALLY build the entire plane himself). In order to quickly be able to make the needed changes, he WOULD HAVE needed to "subcontact" at least some of the building out to others. It IS possible that the NATS Taurus was built by Ed..... and a group of people working on different parts that eventually became Ed's plane...assembled under his guidance. There must be a good reason that Ed consistantly says "we" rather than "I" in ALL his articles. Each plane could be a group effort of sorts; (as an example, Ed told me that the Tauri trainer manual was largely written by his friend Vic Husak).

We know from measurements of the kit plan compared to Ed's actual NATS Taurus that the NATS Taurus has a longer tail moment than the kit. I still feel Ed may have been referring to the upcoming kit plans with that statement; if not, then the above scenario MUST have been in the case.

When I finally receive the Dec 6, 1961 plans, I can compare the tail moments of that drawing with the actual measurement of the '62 NATS Taurus. That may shed more light on the issue.

Duane
Old 02-26-2009, 11:50 AM
pimmnz

Duane, Ed quotes the Navy judges in his Champ Chats tape, so it must have been done after the Nats. Given that there were so many Taurus at the Nats, and a quick glimpse of the Ad in the Jan 1963 MAN listing all the model wins, from June 1962, and the people using it, Maxy Hester, Les Fruh, etc, then I think the model was already prolific, especially in the Chicago area. I am not surprised that there are so many variations, rather that we tend to think that there is only one valid version. I agree that we really need to see that 1961 blueprint, as that could be the first 'satisfactory' Taurus, and the likely starting point for the next wave of modifications (improvements).
Evan.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:07 PM
kingaltair

Duane, Ed quotes the Navy judges in his Champ Chats tape, so it must have been done after the Nats. Given that there were so many Taurus at the Nats, and a quick glimpse of the Ad in the Jan 1963 MAN listing all the model wins, from June 1962, and the people using it, Maxy Hester, Les Fruh, etc, then I think the model was already prolific, especially in the Chicago area. I am not surprised that there are so many variations, rather that we tend to think that there is only one valid version. I agree that we really need to see that 1961 blueprint, as that could be the first 'satisfactory' Taurus, and the likely starting point for the next wave of modifications (improvements).
Evan.
Thanks for the clarification on when the tape was made

I'm sure that the other competitors had their own "tweaks" here and there. Anyone can change anything from the prototype plan, but I think you're right when you say we tend to focus on ONE real version...the only versions I'm concerned with and focusing on are Ed's versions, and when the change to the longer fuse was made in HIS plane. Aren't we pretty sure Ed made the change to his plane before the NATS?

I was just trying to think of a way he could make the mods to HIS PLANE in the limited time he had from his return from Africa until the NATS took place. He probably had to ask others to help him build HIS plane.

Does this sound plausible?

Duane
Old 02-26-2009, 11:03 PM
Insomnia88

Duane,
All of the new evidence shows that the original Taurus existed before the 1961 Nats. Back in 1963 there was a builder of the model rule in F.A.I. Ed Kazmirski had to build his own airplanes. There were others in the Chicago area who built the Taurus before the kit and made modifications to them. If you look at the one Les Fruh has with all the stars on it you will see a fin and rudder that resembles the Flop. In the RCM & E article Ed Kazmurski says that he flew a modified Taurus at the 1961 Nats. In order to modify a Taurus the original had to already exist. He didn’t come home from the 1961 Nats and in 4 or 5 weeks scratch build a Taurus to fly at Detroit. In the January - February 1964 issue of American Modeler there is a report on the 1963 World Champ. In the report it says and I quote; Ed was flying his original Taurus with Orbit 10 Ch reed gear, Bonner Transmites and Veco 45 power unit. The familiar red, white and blue finish seemed to be still as good as the day the model was built more than two years ago. It later won the Concours d’ Elegance. The event started on August 21, 1963 which means the original Taurus existed prior to August 21, 1961. The report goes into great detail of the event. The reporter gives maneuver by maneuver descriptions of flights. I am sure his reporting of the details on the age of the plane is accurate. The report takes up 17 pages of the magazine in great detail. In the same magazine there is a report on the 1963 Nats with Class III taking up 3 paragraphs. Just read your latest post on Cees page. In the October 1961 MAN on page 34 there is a report; Those of you who have thought about taking up the Chicago club on their “ten best R/C flyers”. Offer might gain some consolation in the fact that a weekend in May produced about $3,000.00 worth of balsa and resistor scrap. Dave Burt finished his Orion on Saturday and completely washed it out the next day. Quite a few more swept up pieces, including Ed Kazmirski. This report coupled with the fact that the modified Taurus he flew at the 1961 Nats was destroyed when the radio failed leads me to believe he left the original Taurus at home for fear of radio failure in a plane that he had flown and felt superior to the modified Taurus. Some of Cees theories I buy but not all. I believe the plane on the right side of the crate is the original Taurus and the wing is on the left side. The fuse on the left and the wing on the right are the light Taurus that Ed Kazmirski flew in Africa. If you read his report he says that when he got to Africa he wrote “the first of the flight demonstrations was most apprehensive of this flight since I did not get an opportunity to check the equipment or have a practice flight because the weather in Chicago was far from ideal before his departure. I believe this Taurus is the one he test flew on Thanksgiving of 1961. I doubt there would be many days between Thanksgiving and the first of April suitable for flying. I believe the plan flown in Africa is the prototype contest model. The ad for the Taurus on the page opposite the report page 35 shows a wing span 70”, length 53 ¼” and weight 5 ¾ lbs. Same as the plane flown in Africa.

Jim Kimbro
Old 02-26-2009, 11:27 PM
pimmnz

It is quite possible Duane, that Ed never built an 'original' Taurus, per the blueprint. It seems much more likely that after the demise of the unsatisfactory Taurus, and the first flight of the 'new and improved' version, Ed spent the winter of '61/'62 (long cold winters in Chicago, I'm led to believe) building his own long version of the Taurus, the familiar 'cover girl'. This seems, to me anyway, a much more likely scenario. How much different it was to the other one he took to S.Rhodesia we don't know, we only have Dennis account that they were 'identical'. This would seem to rule out the slimmer T2 having been finished any time before that trip. Where the second 'African' Taurus is we don't know, it is possible Ed had it made by someone else, (given his time restraints, and the fact that 'we' were still busy back home) and gave it back after the trip. This would leave room for the T2 development by Ed himself. Interestingly, the English mags were advertising ready built 'T1 and T2' fuselages, using that nomenclature, so back then ('64, '65) the differences were well known, we have forgotten much. A fruitful area of research could be the archives of the Chicago club, someone must have club newsletters going back that far, and that may turn up much peripheral information.
On another tack, you have measured the length of the various fuselages, but not to a reference I can grasp, any possibility of a measurement from the rear of the wing cut-out to the elevator hinge line? This will give me a good reference dimension for the moments and lengths of the various versions around.
Thanks,
Evan.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:20 AM
pimmnz

As regards to the origon of the RCM&E drawing, well, Ed gave it to them. Extract from July 1962 RCM&E. There is good argument that T2 could not have gone to Africa too, consider...as far as we can tell the fuselage had only two wings fitted to it, the really thick 'Carrier' wing and the later 'Bosch' sectioned wing. It is obvious that neither of these wings is in the African box photo, the straight trailing edge is not apparent on either of the wings in the box. It is not likely that Ed would have taken a spare fuselage along that wouldn't fit either of the wings he took...
Evan.

Name:	Om31823.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	1145849  
Old 02-27-2009, 04:37 AM
RFJ

In the January - February 1964 issue of American Modeler there is a report on the 1963 World Champ
One of the best magazine competition reports ever, written by Henry J Nicholls. This is his description of Ed's first and third round flights.

Ray

Name:	Nl29513.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	1145928   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie98382.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	1145929   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20250.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	1145930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq41967.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	1145931  
Old 02-27-2009, 08:33 AM
kingaltair

ORIGINAL: Insomnia88

Duane,
All of the new evidence shows that the original Taurus existed before the 1961 Nats.

NOT NECESSARILY. THERE ARE MANY PIECES OF EVIDENCE, SOME OF IT CONTRADICTORY. A LOT DEPENDS ON WHAT WE BELIEVE AND WHAT WE REJECT. WE MUST TAKE ALL THE EVIDENCE TOGETHER AND MAKE OUR BEST GUESS. EVEN THEN WE WILL PROBABLY NOT ALL AGREE. I WISH THE EVIDENCE WERE COMPELLING ENOUGH SO THAT IT WOULD BE OBVIOUS TO ALL.

Back in 1963 there was a builder of the model rule in F.A.I. Ed Kazmirski had to build his own airplanes.

THANKS FOR THIS INFO. I GUESS THIS MEANS HE DID INDEED BUILD THE WHOLE PLANE.

In the RCM & E article Ed Kazmurski says that he flew a modified Taurus at the 1961 Nats. In order to modify a Taurus the original had to already exist.

THE CHAMP CHATS ARTICLE SAYS THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE TAURUS WAS OVER "SEVERAL YEARS". I THINK THIS GOES BACK TO THE EARLIER MODS OF THE ORION, AND MAYBE FURTHER. WHO KNOWS ALL THE "BULL SESSIONS" SKETCHES AND DRAWINGS THAT TOOK PLACE EARLIER. WHEN HE SAYS "MODIFIED TAURUS" HE COULD MEAN MODIFIED IN RELATION TO THE ESTABLISHED TAURUS THAT EVERYONE KNEW IN 1962. IF HE DID INDEED MEAN THE 1961 PLANE WAS MODIFIED FROM AN EARLIER PLANE THAT LOOKED LIKE A MODEL WE WOULD RECOGNIZE AS A TAURUS, THEN YOU HAVE TO SHOW WHERE THE EVIDENCE IS TO SUPPORT THAT STATEMENT. AS I SAID ON AN EARLIER POST, THE VERY FIRST EVIDENCE WE ACTUALLY HAVE IN OUR POSSESSION FOR A PLANE THAT LOOKS LIKE A TAURUS, IS THE DEC 1961 PLAN, WHICH OF COURSE PRE-DATES THE AFRICA TRIP BY SEVERAL MONTHS. REMEMBER THE PLANE WAS BUILT FIRST, THEN THE PLAN DRAWN, SO IT IS LIKELY TO ME AT LEAST, THAT ED STARTED HIS DRAWINGS AND BUILDING DURING THE SUMMER OF 1961, (ABOUT 2 YEARS EARLIER).

IN MY EARLIER POSTS I HAVE PLACED A LOT OF IMPORTANCE ON THE PROTOTYPE CONTEST TAURUS PLAN . THIS PLAN HAS AN ACTUAL DATE ON IT, AND MORE IMPORTANTLY, THE DATE OF THE FIRST FLIGHT AS LATE NOVEMBER 1961. I ALSO SAID IN AN EARLIER POST, THAT I WOULD BE WILLING TO SAY THE TAURUS WAS BUILT WHEN CEES SAID IT WAS IF THE PLAN HAD NOT BEEN SO SPECIFIC REGARDING WHEN THE FIRST FLIGHT WAS. CEES PLACES "ALL HIS EGGS IN ONE BASKET," MEANING EVERYTHING HANGS ON THAT ONE COMMENT IN THE MAGAZINE ABOUT BEING "OVER 2-1/2 YEARS OLD". THERE IS NO SATISFACTORY EXPLANATION GIVEN BY ANYONE FOR WHAT THE PLAN CALLS THE "CONTEST TAURUS PROTOTYPE" HAVING ITS FIRST FLIGHT ON THANKSGIVING 1961.

He didn’t come home from the 1961 Nats and in 4 or 5 weeks scratch build a Taurus to fly at Detroit. In the January - February 1964 issue of American Modeler there is a report on the 1963 World Champ. In the report it says and I quote; Ed was flying his original Taurus with Orbit 10 Ch reed gear, Bonner Transmites and Veco 45 power unit. The familiar red, white and blue finish seemed to be still as good as the day the model was built more than two years ago. It later won the Concours d’ Elegance. The event started on August 21, 1963 which means the original Taurus existed prior to August 21, 1961.

IN LIGHT OF OTHER EVIDENCE AS MENTIONED ABOVE, I FEEL THIS IS A GENERAL REFERENCE TO WHEN THE TAURUS WAS BUILT, AND WAS NOT INTENDED TO BE AN EXACT DATE. I DO FEEL THE TAURUS CONCEPT AND HIS SKETCHES/DRAWING, AND MAYBE EVEN SOME CONSTRUCTION COULD HAVE TAKEN PLACE AT ABOUT THIS TIME, SO THE START DATE IS CLOSE TO THE AMERICAN MODELER STATEMENT REGARDING AGE OF THE PLANE.

The report goes into great detail of the event. The reporter gives maneuver by maneuver descriptions of flights. I am sure his reporting of the details on the age of the plane is accurate.

I AM SURE THE DATES FOR THE ORIGINAL PLAN, (TAKEN FROM CONTEST TAURUS PROTOTYPE), AND FIRST FLIGHT ARE ACCURATE

In the same magazine there is a report on the 1963 Nats with Class III taking up 3 paragraphs. Just read your latest post on Cees page. In the October 1961 MAN on page 34 there is a report; Those of you who have thought about taking up the Chicago club on their “ten best R/C flyers”. Offer might gain some consolation in the fact that a weekend in May produced about $3,000.00 worth of balsa and resistor scrap. Dave Burt finished his Orion on Saturday and completely washed it out the next day. Quite a few more swept up pieces, including Ed Kazmirski.

IT WOULD BE GREAT IF YOU COULD SCAN, (OR MAYBE RAY OR EVAN COULD IF THEY HAVE THE MAG) AND POST THESE PIECES OF FIRST-HAND EVIDENCE AS OTHERS HAVE DONE. IT WOULD BE A HELP FOR EVERYONE.

This report coupled with the fact that the modified Taurus he flew at the 1961 Nats was destroyed when the radio failed leads me to believe he left the original Taurus at home for fear of radio failure in a plane that he had flown and felt superior to the modified Taurus.

THIS COULD HAVE HAPPENED, BUT IS NOT LIKELY. I CAN'T IMAGINE ED WOULD KEEP HIS BEST PLANE AT HOME AND FLY AN INFERIOR PLANE AT THE US NATS...THAT DOESN'T SOUND ANYTHING LIKE WHAT I HAVE READ OF HIM. HE WAS AN EXPERT AT ADJUSTING AND MAINTAINING HIS EQUIPMENT, AND IF THE 1961 PLANE CRASHED DUE TO RADIO FAILURE, IT WAS COMPLETELY UNEXPECTED. BOB DUNHAM WAS A PERSONAL FRIEND, AND ED CONTINUALLY FLEW BOB'S NEWEST PROTOTYPES. BOB COULD EASILY HAVE BROUGHT A NEW RADIO WITH HIM.

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO EVIDENCE OF AN "ORIGINAL TAURUS" OLDER THAN THE 1961 NATS PLANE OTHER THAN THE SPECULATIVE CONCLUSION DRAWN FROM THAT ONE STATEMENT OF "OVER 2-1/2 YEARS OLD", WHICH AS I SAID EARLIER IS NOT EXTREMELY SPECIFIC. THAT STATEMENT COULD REFER TO THE TIME WHEN THE PLANE WAS BEING SKETCHED AND BUILDING WAS ABOUT TO START.

IT SEEMS MORE LIKELY TO ME THAT THE 1961 NATS "TAURUS" WAS AN EARLIER, MORE CRUDE SHIP BASED MORE ON THE ORION, THAT PRE-DATES (WHAT HE SAYS IN "CHAMP CHATS"), HIS FINAL VERSION, (NOT COUNTING THE KIT). NOBODY KNOWS FOR SURE EXACTLY WHAT ED FLEW AT DETROIT IN SEPTEMBER OF 1961

Some of Cees theories I buy but not all. I believe the plane on the right side of the crate is the original Taurus and the wing is on the left side.

CEES BELIEVES THE TAURUS ON THE RIGHT CONTAINS THE BASIC FUSELAGE OF MY TAURUS-2

If you read his report he says that when he got to Africa he wrote “the first of the flight demonstrations was most apprehensive of this flight since I did not get an opportunity to check the equipment or have a practice flight because the weather in Chicago was far from ideal before his departure. I believe this Taurus is the one he test flew on Thanksgiving of 1961. I doubt there would be many days between Thanksgiving and the first of April suitable for flying.

TRUE ENOUGH

I believe the plan flown in Africa is the prototype contest model.

The ad for the Taurus on the page opposite the report page 35 shows a wing span 70”, length 53 ¼” and weight 5 ¾ lbs. Same as the plane flown in Africa.

YOU POINTED OUT ON YOUR EARLIER THREAD THAT ALL THE SCRATCH-BUILT TAURUS MODELS HAD A WINGSPAN OF 68". I EVEN CONFIRMED THIS WITH BOB NOLL OF VR/CS, THAT EVEN THE NATS TAURUS HAD THIS WINGSPAN. I WOULD VERY MUCH DOUBT THERE WERE ANY 70" WINGSPAN TAURUS(S) UNTIL THE KIT PLAN WAS DRAWN.

NOBODY HAS REALLY OFFERED A GOOD ALTERNATIVE EXPLANATION FOR THE "THANKSGIVING 1961 FIRST FLIGHT" DATE FOR THE "CONTEST TAURUS PROTOTYPE" OTHER THAN WHAT I HAVE SAID. I BELIEVE BOTH OF THE PLANES IN THE CRATE ARE VERY SIMILAR WITH LIKELY SMALL DIFFERENCES, AND UNMISTAKABLY BOTH LOOK LIKE THE "CONTEST PROTOTYPE" IE FINAL TAURUS.

PEOPLE CAN AGREE OR DISAGREE, BUT I AM TRYING TO BASE THESE CONCLUSIONS ON ALL THE AVAILABLE EVIDENCE, (WHILE WAITING FOR SOMETHING ELSE TO COME ALONG). IF PEOPLE START READING AT THE BEGINNING OF THE THREAD, THEY WILL NOTICE THAT MANY SPECULATIONS WE HAD EARLY IN THE THREAD HAVE BEEN EITHER CONFIRMED OR REFUTED, AND THAT WE KNOW A LOT MORE, (FOR SURE), NOW THAN WE DID WHEN WE STARTED. IT IS MY HOPE THAT THERE WILL EVENTUALLY BE ENOUGH CONCRETE EVIDENCE SO THAT ALMOST EVERYBODY WILL BE ABLE TO AGREE ON THE "TRUE HISTORY". IF NOT WE CAN AT LEAST CONTINUE TO REASON BACK AND FORTH.

DUANE

Jim Kimbro
Old 02-27-2009, 09:03 AM
UStik

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just to add to the confusion again, I'd recommend re-reading also the Jan. 1963 MAN article (the first few paragraphs). Ed mentiones a lot of building, and I think even if others helped building in his basement he was always there. And we have seen so many Tauruses so far, why shouldn't it be possible that there were several models. Ed was quite adept and should have been a fast builder.

Now that a promising new theory (history) seems to emerge, much seems possible: Why not a conventional approach (prototype Taurus) and an unconventional (Flop) at the same time (spring 1961)? Two years later, there were the carrier-wing T2 and the pusher. I think the carrier-wing T2 was Ed's experiment with thick and swept wings at the same time. Maybe he saw a connection between both features. And he had to modify the moment arms (vertically as well as horizontally) so he nedded a completely new fuse. Its outline is very similar, just the wing saddle one inch more forward (due to wing sweep) and the tail cone a bit slimmer (bottom edge just where the trailing edge is now).

So why not the T2 fuse built as it is now, with a new (fresh) pilot? The prototype Taurus was in the crate, we all agree, but is it the core of the T2 fuse? If we think the existing pilot could be the same sitting in the fuse on the right of the crate, why not assume (and search for indications) that the original fuse was lost and only the pilot kept? After all it was worth a mention that there were no problems or damages during the Africa tour. Crashs did happen, even to such an attentive man like Ed, and even on a championship (Flop?).

Cees' theroy seems to be that the prototype fuse was modified to the T2 fuse. He points to the groove in the fuselage where a former could have been. I don't think so, and I still got no satisfying answer on my question what this groove could be, as well as the question what the groove in the T1 fuselage could mean. If Ed built the T2 fuse winter/spring 1963 he built it for the superhet relayless receiver, soon modified to analog proportional (carrier, Genk) and later to digital proportional, so three kinds of servos were in this fuse, even if it was built late (at least not 1961/1962). It was planned for the Veco .45 and later sawthe ST 58.

Why not? (not a rhetorical question)

Name:	Pn36185.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	1146019   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47265.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	1146020   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26010.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	1146021  
Old 02-27-2009, 09:15 AM
kingaltair

It is quite possible Duane, that Ed never built an 'original' Taurus, per the blueprint.

I HOPE NOBODY HERE HAS THE OPINION THAT I THINK ED BUILT ANY OF HIS PLANES FROM A BLUEPRINT. AS I'VE SAID REPEATEDLY, EACH OF ED'S MODELS ARE DIFFERENT. AS I MENTIONED ABOVE, THE DEC 1961 PLAN WAS DRAWN AFTER THE FACT...AFTER ED HAD ALREADY BUILT HIS "CONTEST TAURUS PROTOTYPE". THE PLAN WAS MORE FOR EVERYBODY ELSE, AND I BELIEVE THAT'S WHERE ALL THE OTHER, (SCRATCH-BUILT) TAURUS MODELS FROM THE SUMMER OF 1962 CAME FROM.

It seems much more likely that after the demise of the unsatisfactory Taurus, and the first flight of the 'new and improved' version, Ed spent the winter of '61/'62 (long cold winters in Chicago, I'm led to believe) building his own long version of the Taurus, the familiar 'cover girl'. This seems, to me anyway, a much more likely scenario. How much different it was to the other one he took to S.Rhodesia we don't know, we only have Dennis account that they were 'identical'. This would seem to rule out the slimmer T2 having been finished any time before that trip.

I CAN FULLY AGREE WITH EVERYTHING SAID HERE. I THINK ED HAS HIS "PROTOTYPE CONTEST TAURUS", AND PROBABLY BUILT THE OTHER ONE, (DIFFERENTLY OF COURSE), DURING THAT WINTER, BUT NOT SO DIFFERENTLY THAT IT DIDN'T LOOK VERY SIMILAR TO THE OTHER. I BELIEVE BOTH TAURUS MODELS IN THE CRATE ARE INSTANTLY RECOGNIZABLE BY US AS THE "FINAL" TAURUS. THERE WAS A "LIGHT" AND A "HEAVIER" MODEL; THERE MAY HAVE BEEN SOME SMALL DIFFERENCE IN TAIL MOMENT, BUT THEY WERE SIMILAR. BTW....THE PILOT INSIDE THE ONE ON THE RIGHT WAS LATER TAKEN OUT FOR SOME REASON, I HAVE IT NOW.

Where the second 'African' Taurus is we don't know, it is possible Ed had it made by someone else, (given his time restraints, and the fact that 'we' were still busy back home) and gave it back after the trip. This would leave room for the T2 development by Ed himself. Interestingly, the English mags were advertising ready built 'T1 and T2' fuselages, using that nomenclature, so back then ('64, '65) the differences were well known, we have forgotten much. A fruitful area of research could be the archives of the Chicago club, someone must have club newsletters going back that far, and that may turn up much peripheral information.

MAYBE I COULD WRITE THEM, ALONG WITH THE RCCD FOR MORE DETAILS AND POSSIBLE PHOTOS FROM THEIR INVITATIONALS.

On another tack, you have measured the length of the various fuselages, but not to a reference I can grasp, any possibility of a measurement from the rear of the wing cut-out to the elevator hinge line? This will give me a good reference dimension for the moments and lengths of the various versions around.

WELL EVAN, IT SEEMED TO ME AT THE TIME THAT THE DISTANCE FROM THE REAR OF THE WING CUT-OUT TO THE BOTTOM FUSE TIP WHERE IT MEETS THE RUDDER WAS A GOOD MEASUREMENT TO MAKE TO INDICATE TAIL MOMENT. THAT'S WHAT I ASKED BOB NOLL TO MEASURE, AND I STILL THINK IT GIVES A GOOD "HANDLE" ON THE RELATIVE LENGTHS OF THE TAIL MOMENTS OF THE DIFFERENT MODELS.

Thanks,
Evan.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:19 AM
UStik

By the way, who was Frank Myers?

He drew the plans, not Ed. But Ed should have had a copy to send to Africa (my biggest puzzle).

And by the way, also the Oct 1962 RCM&E plan shows 70" wingspan, but a different fuse length (another con-fus-ion).

And by the way, Cees' model doesn't look like the T2 at all (he doesn't claim so, I know).

Cees, there's no hurry, take your time building, this year's Easter date is April 12. Might even match your maiden-flight assumptions, and we could call your model the Easter Taurus.

Name:	Wu60514.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	1146029  
Old 02-27-2009, 09:40 AM
kingaltair

ORIGINAL: UStik

By the way, who was Frank Myers?

He drew the plans, not Ed. But Ed should have had a copy to send to Africa (my biggest puzzle).

And by the way, also the Oct 1962 RCM&E plan shows 70" wingspan, but a different fuse length (another con-fus-ion).

And by the way, Cees' model doesn't look like the T2 at all (he doesn't claim so, I know).

Cees, there's no hurry, take your time building, this year's Easter date is April 12. Might even match your maiden-flight assumptions, and we could call your model the Easter Taurus.
Frank Myers was a troublemaker who drew those stupid plans, thus causing all this confusion. It is largely BECAUSE of those plans that I feel this was the beginning of the "final" contest Taurus, and that BOTH planes in the crate were based on it.

I have no idea why that plan shows a 70" wingspan, unless it was based on the kit plan that was soon upcoming. The NATS Taurus shown in The Champ Chats had a 68" wingspan as Jim Kimbro pointed out earlier. ALL the scratch-built Taurus models had a 68" wingspan as far as I know.

AHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA [>:][:'(][&o]

Duane
Old 02-27-2009, 10:22 AM
kingaltair

As regards to the origon of the RCM&E drawing, well, Ed gave it to them. Extract from July 1962 RCM&E. There is good argument that T2 could not have gone to Africa too, consider...as far as we can tell the fuselage had only two wings fitted to it, the really thick 'Carrier' wing and the later 'Bosch' sectioned wing. It is obvious that neither of these wings is in the African box photo, the straight trailing edge is not apparent on either of the wings in the box. It is not likely that Ed would have taken a spare fuselage along that wouldn't fit either of the wings he took...
Evan.
Evan

Cees said in an earlier post (somewhere) that it likely Ed originally built the fuselage for a regular Taurus wing. When he got the idea for the "Carrier Wing", he changed the cut-out for the thick wing. He LATER changed it back to the Bosch airfoil, so in essence he says the wing cut-out has been modified twice. I told him there was only evidence, (that I could see), for the (original), thick wing being changed once to the Bosch-airfoil wing.

Ed's "repair" or modification work is very precise, (for alignment etc), but no real effort was made for asthetics. You can easily see the individual strips of balsa Ed used to build up the wing saddle. If it had been changed twice, (based on observing Ed's mod technique), I would think there would some visible sign of two wing saddle changes.

Duane
Old 02-27-2009, 01:07 PM
UStik

But Duane, I meant the "The Champ Chats" plan IS showing 70" wingspan (actually 35" half span)! It's a four-page article in Oct 1962 RCM&E, the title page with the picture on the left (page 496), the plan on the right (page 497), the two following text pages 498 and 499. Not clarifying, I know...

Another point: 68" is the Orion wingspan, and likely it was the wingspan of the first Taurus(es) as well. The later Taurus wings might have a rounder wingtip, we just had to compare the drawings. Both wings (Orion and Taurus) have 11 ribs on each side (except center), spacing 3". The Orion plan shows the first rib aligned with the fuselage sides, the Taurus plan more outboard, maybe 1".
Old 02-27-2009, 01:48 PM
kingaltair

UStik (at least I know why you are called that now)

All I can say is that the date of that article is Oct 1962, and close to the introduction of the kit. Perhaps the author was more interested in promoting the kit specs than discussing Ed's contest plane. We could compare the rest of the kit specs to see if this is true. If the kit specs DON"T match the "Champ Chats" plan, then we use a good old-fashioned American expression......we "punt",
(in other words we start over, or throw up our hands and say we don't care).

Actually Jim Kimbro's post a while back where he cited the wingspans of the 1962 Taurus competitors at the NATS as all being 68" was something new for me...that's why we are still out there looking for information. Many answers are probably still out there waiting for the right person to come along and provide them. I had always thought the Taurus was a 70" winspan plane. Sure enough though, when I rechecked with Bob Noll who has possession of the NATS plane right now, that plane's wingspan is indeed 68" ....SURPRISE....SURPRISE[X(][X(]

That plan on (p 497) is not actually a real copy of any plan, it is a "glorified sketch" for the purpose of showing the look of the plane in a magazine article. The sketch even talks about the "upcoming kit", so there is a good chance the sketch refers to the Taurus kit....but that's only my opinion.

Duane
Old 02-27-2009, 02:16 PM
UStik

... and that plan says the plane should have a Veco 45 while showing a K&B 45. And it shows a different fuse length. And the plan in the Jan 1963 MAN article is very similar, just much more detailed. That's why I asked "who was Frank Myers?". I even remember reading that Top Flite's Sid Axelrod helped with drawing plans (the updated Orion). So that might even explain why the plans show some details not found on Ed's real models, and why Ed had to send brown paper sheets to Dennis Hunt.

Don't be annoyed when I'm throwing stones into the water to see what waves they make. That's just me. And that's what sometimes provoked discussion and new information here.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:39 PM
kingaltair

... and that plan says the plane should have a Veco 45 while showing a K&B 45. And it shows a different fuse length. And the plan in the Jan 1963 MAN article is very similar, just much more detailed. That's why I asked "who was Frank Myers?". I even remember reading that Top Flite's Sid Axelrod helped with drawing plans (the updated Orion). So that might even explain why the plans show some details not found on Ed's real models, and why Ed had to send brown paper sheets to Dennis Hunt.

Don't be annoyed when I'm throwing stones into the water to see what waves they make. That's just me. And that's what sometimes provoked discussion and new information here.
I don't think I'm annoyed....I just wish I had more answers. A half-hour discussion with Ed's ghost would clear all these questions up wouldn't it

Myers could be anyone. He may simply be a friend of Ed who had the plane, (and Ed) in front of him and put the plan of the prototype down on paper while he and Ed were spending an evening down in the shop one night drinking a couple beers, (bier hier) The way Ed built his planes, the sign that he had what he wanted was that it was finally put down on paper. Ed didn't need plans to build..it was all in his head...he knew what to do and how to do it.

I'm very grateful to Mr Myers, (and Michaelj2k in post #713 page 29 on Sept 2, 2008) because that little picture provided so much information about timing....it was one of the more important "new information" posts. The picture next to it shows a little more of the plan. From the little that shows, you can see the definite familiar outline of the Taurus we all know. The rest is details, and specifications, which we all know he changed with each new plane, (as did his buddies while building their own versions).

The plan is a big clue that unlocks a lot of the mystery about what the "Oldest Taurus on Earth" actually looked like. I am looking forward to receiving a copy of those plans when Bob sends them to me (someday)

Duane
Old 02-27-2009, 06:11 PM
UStik

Well, the ghosts. But you said you don't believe in such things! And I'm not sure Ed would remember that many details we are asking for, considering how much I forgot already.

Don't underestimate the plan! The caption in the center is an insert made by the magazine. The actual plan isn't glorified at all. Evan said it had been given to the magazine by Ed himself, but that's a bit obscure, at least in my eyes. The text of the article was "transcribed from a tape recorded by Ed", as well as the Africa article or the preparing notes exchanged for the Africa trip. Seems Ed kind of disliked pencils but preferred the spoken word, and was lucky to have tape recorders. Or were the tape recorders provided by magazine people?

Were the plans (I mean all plans) drawn by magazine people or people like Top Flite's Sid Axelrod or others not even near to Ed? Imagine such a person asked Ed for the wing span and Ed said off the top of his head 70". And this poor person asked for the rib spacing, answered correctly 3", and had to draw the wing he could only inspect from the outside, if at all. So the first ribs were drawn not aligned with the fuselage side and the 70" wingspan was in the world. The fuselage length might be correct because, as Evan stated, the tail moment arm issue was well known early.

Just a scenario (fairy tale). But the plan is surprisingly detailed, lacking no key dimension and showing even the r/c installation and the K&B 45. And don't forget the detailed specification of balsa qualities. I've seen inferior plans to build from. Ed gave all relevant details and the drawer (draftsman) took care in getting them all, but there just have to be some misunderstandings, mistakes, and communication problems.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:50 PM
Taurus Flyer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gents,

Just a scenario (fairy tale). But the plan is surprisingly detailed, (bla bla bla Shortened by Taurus Flyer
Just a joke,

When I read “fairy tale” I often think:

Kingaltair and the seven Taurusjes!

(Thats a combination of english and dutch and means Kingaltair and the seven little Taurusses.)

Cees

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.