Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

An MK 20 Size Conservation Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 05:28 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: An MK 20 Size Conservation Project

Email sent.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:49 PM
csimpson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found this out in the shop and thought someone might need it for this project. Let me know who wants it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71968.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	1430328  
Old 05-06-2010, 09:46 AM
dchuah
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Struggling to decide if this post should be a thread of its own but let me see how I go with this given this is the MK lot of followers....

I had the bad experience of buying a MK Blue Angel 20 without the fuselage! Have the wing and stabs but not fuse. Has someone either got an old fuse I can reconstruct / restore? Or some way of replicating the parts to rebuild? I thought looking through plan would help but I'm not seeing the light. Will re-read this thread and see if it's been done.

A few points I'd help highlight - I'm in Singapore and have access to Singapore Hobby Supplies and would be happy to help mail stuff out (as they do too). From time to time, I'll have family and friends traveling to the US, Canada and Holland. So, do drop me a line if you need spares. Surprised SHS had spare Curare 60 canopies, etc. Spoke to Fred and they have a lot of MK spares if you guys need them. Even belly pans.

I've been lucky enough to still have the following unbuilt MKs: Curare 20, Magic 60, Arrow 60. And 2 Eureka Curare 60s (with the canopies from SHS & Don's reproduction). I know of some friends who still have the Joker 60 and original Curare 60s. So, if you're in need of plans and templates, please feel free to ask.

Here's my Joker build thread:
[link]http://www.daddyhobby.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51042[/link]
And the hope of restoring this Curare I was given:
[link]http://www.daddyhobby.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53775[/link]

Would appreciate any help on the Blue Angel 20 fuse...

David - nice Direct Connection Tsunami thread. Have one built too. Also have a thread in here for John Sandberg's JRS Tsunami off Michael Luvara's plan.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:06 PM
doxilia

Hi Dave,

well you sure have posted in the right thread if the subject is MK kits!

I'm afraid I can't help immediately with the Blue Angel fuse issue since those plans are still unavailable to me. However, it sounds like you have a set from which you should be able to scratch build a slightly modified MK fuse depending on your power intentions. I have a photo of the plans and can see that the three formers are presented plus the nose ring. The "crutch" of the fuse is actually fairly squat and you use the division between the turtle deck and the tank/radio top area as a reference line to build around. Blocks are added to finish the nose chin as well as the fuse top front. Whenever you see NBx on MK plans it refers to "Nose Block Up (NBU)" or "Nose Block Down (NBD)" - these are balsa blocks which are sanded to shape per the section views. Unfortunately what's missing are the turtle deck formers F4 through F10 but these can ultimately also be inferred and "interpolated" from those shown; F3 and F7. MK kits are actually so nicely conceived that they go together in precise Japanese style. Having to do one from scratch is just more prep work which is part of the reason for this project.

After a little re-structuring on how we're proceeding with this project, some decisions have been made on who, how and when each particular model will be worked on. It's not quite an exact science but there is a general direction on what we are working on first. The Japanese designs have been postponed to later in the project to help gain some traction with the simpler European designs but I won't get into it. Suffice it to say that the Curare and Magic will probably see the light of day sooner than the others.

Anyway, discussions on anything related to the 20 size MK models is most welcome here - particularly issues with the build of a particular model. However, it might be easier for administrative purposes if you were to start a thread on your BA20 fuse if you would like to exchange any thoughts, ideas or questions/answers. Of the Japanese designs, the BA is probably one of the easier ones to put together since there is no glass and it wasn't planned for either retracts or pipes. Aurora's and Cosmos' are a little more complex. They are also quite a bit larger and heavier - more in the league of 35 size models. The Joker 25 probably is too. The Skymaster 20 is also a very nice and clever design which has 3/4 of the top fuse made from glass. Ironically this actually means more building rather than less but it is a sweet looking bird! The wing and empennage go together as easily as those of the BA. I say this from having studied these models in some detail - I've actually not had the pleasure to build one yet (another reason for this project...)!

I posted some BA 20 photos from a Japanese builder further back in the thread. Note however that that model is rather different from the classic MK kit - it has a different vertical (classic first prototype of Yoshioka's model) and retracts were used. It might be a modified MK kit but it could also have been built from a reduced scale original Yoshioka BA 60 plan (the one he built with the "jet-like" tail).

Good luck with that fuse. When you commence, be sure to keep us informed! [8D]

David.

P.S. Thanks for your offer with parts from SHS - at some point that may come in handy.

P.S.2 Thanks also for the kind comments on the Tsunami thread. She's finally about to receive a canopy treatment!
Old 05-11-2010, 04:10 AM
SquareDD

Hi all

For those who can't wait for the CAD drawings here are the Curare 20 plans and tracings of the main parts.
All are full size PDF. I apologise for the tracing quality but is was done back when I built the original in 1983, just cut oversize and sand to suit.

Attachments deleted at the request of Doxilla
Old 05-11-2010, 09:52 AM
doxilia

SquareDD,

PM sent.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:10 PM
dchuah

Don't suppose anyone's got the same for the MK 20 Blue Angel (yes, fuselage only)?

David, not sure where you're at with the thread but I have the Joker 25 kit with me.
Not sure if you guys are in need of a reference (no worries, it won't be built anytime soon).
Old 05-15-2010, 12:04 PM
doxilia

David,

thanks for the offer. I'll be in touch again this weekend.

On a quick other note, do you guys want to see an Aurora 25 in flight?

Watch the end of the video... Obviously in Korea people have no fear of the ocean! Nor of taking off from sand...

http://tvpot.daum.net/my/ClipView.do...499&lu=v_title

Only wish he had recorded the landing

Enjoy!

David.

P.S. Progress is gradually happening behind the scenes. Spring just happens to be a busy work season.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:25 PM
Viktor D

Some progress on the wing. I had to redraw it because it uses modified sections - If you want to use a aileron made of a balsa strip like in the kit you have to use different sections.
I also build the e-flight retract - it needs modyfied ribs if you want to keep the distance between the ribs as in the original model - there a a bit to narrow. So I decided to modify the ribs for the e-flight retracts - it will fit very nice together. The retracts are turned by 1° to be perpendicular to the bottom as the wing has an angle of attack of 1°

Name:	Pn36531.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	1443024  
Old 06-06-2010, 05:50 PM
Viktor D

some new progress - the parts are allmost ready.

Name:	Qo41299.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	1448999  
Old 06-06-2010, 06:52 PM
doxilia

Outstanding work Viktor,

she's looking like a real beauty. I'll reply to your email later tonight - just haven't had the time to do so properly.

I think we may be getting close to fruition MK fans and what better a model than Hanno's all time quintessential design!

Watch this space...

David.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:51 PM
Viktor D

The parts, some wing parts are still missing but basically thats it :-)

Name:	Ec87641.gif
Views:	82
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	1456969   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18153.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	1456970  
Old 09-18-2010, 12:32 PM
dchuah

Hey guys, was lucky enough to come across another untouched 20 Curare kit.

Thought I'd share since this space has been quiet for a while.

Seems that's the only unbuilt kit available but there are 2 40 Curares and Arrows, 2 60 Calypsos.

Dave
Old 10-25-2010, 11:56 PM
Roguedog

Hey David,

So what's going on with the Conservation Project?

Bryan

Old 10-26-2010, 02:01 PM
doxilia

Bryan,

thanks for posting and for asking a very good question!

To be perfectly honest, not much lately. Viktor and I had busy work periods at the start of the summer and then we both took a month off during August where neither one of us did anything model related. Myself, since I returned from holiday have once again been swamped and am just know starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel. I'm hoping that come November, I might be able to get back into the shop and being productive on the various endeavors related to model design including this thread.

In practice, we should be fairly close to be able to get a first C20 kit cut (and a UFO 25 as well although unrelated to this thread) as you can see from the recent posts. I expect to touch base with Viktor soon to see where he's at and so that we can make some further progress on this project.

The fact that I have been making the occasional post here on RCU in the last couple of weeks is a good sign... I don't think I stoped by RCU during a 2-3 month period earlier this year!

How about your projects? I happened to come across your DB composite project - very nice!

David.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:45 AM
Roguedog

David,

Thanks for the comments on the DB project it's been a really cool learning experience. The DB mold is on hold as there is currently no room in my building area.

I found I guy close to me that has an awsome laser cutter with a 30" by 48" cutting surface with a vacuum exhaust system that also holds thewood in place while cutting. Nice! So I took the templates I made for the Mk Thunderbird Mk II 60and had 2 short kits cut, for $50 each,which are now on the shelf waiting to be built. Now that I have the templatesI plan to resize them to 20 and 40 sized kits.

The reason DB project is on hold is a friend asked if I could fix his epoxy heli fuse that took a rotor blade inthe side. I'll make a few dollars for this, sothat's onmy buildingtable right now.I also received three pallets of used laser printers, copiers, monitors harddrives, and computers that I will be parting out for xtra $. So far all in good working order. Only thing is I am quite out of room until I sell or recycle the computer parts.

I have several plans in various stages of completion for laser cut templates.Iwant to maketemplates out of all my plans though this is probably grandiose thinking on my part and will probably never happen.

I also figured out how toconvertthe plans in a RCM Magazineto full size using photoshop. I scan the magazine pageat 1600dpiand then lower the resolutionto 400 at the same time I resize themto full size plans. Takes a few minutes, but it the initial magazine plan is good, I get exceptional results. I recommend saving the scan as a tif and then setting the image mode to bitmap as it makes a smaller file that converts faster. Pretty cool as now I can covert any RC mag plan to full size.

Bryan
Old 10-27-2010, 05:09 PM
doxilia

Hey Bryan,

excellent news and info. I'll keep your laser cutter in mind. Cutting kits far from home entails the shipping/customs expenses if sent back up to my neck of the woods. However, if the cutting cost is low then this might offset the other expenses.

Your process for converting letter size plans is excellent. These are the magic tricks of scanning which I was just dealing with today actually. As I work in the film post production industry, I am often dealing with how one goes about producing high quality scans of photos and negs for inclusion into HD programs. Just like you describe, we often scan at high dpi (600 or 1200) and then convert to screen depth of 72 dpi while resizing the image to the appropriate pixel resolution (typically 1920x1080). I recall playing with that kind of thing years ago when I was a kid (and also had the RCM's) but really didn't know what I was doing. Unfortunately my RCM collection went downstream with my Dad's second divorce during my teens. There were some really good articles and plans in those mags - I certainly miss them.

So have you scanned any interesting plans?

David.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:38 PM
Roguedog

ORIGINAL: doxilia

David,

Yes as a matter of fact, well at least I've found these interesting. Some are 40 sized but I believe will make Cool 60 sizedplanes when enlarged.

Banshee sept 1971 Flying Models
Cobra Sept 1976 RCM
EU-1 April 1978 MAN
Interceptor 1964 MAN (Love this one)
New Era III 1975 & 1996 RCM
Revenger May 1978 RCM
Side Pocket Oct 1983 RCM
SunFli IV July 1969 RCM
Tiger Panzer Sept 1972 RCM (F-5 or T34)
Tiger Tail 1972 MAN

I was able to enlargeall these with excellant results..

Bryan
Old 10-29-2010, 06:20 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I seem to remember most planes on your list as being "60 Size" pattern planes.

Jim
ORIGINAL: Roguedog

ORIGINAL: doxilia

David,

Yes as a matter of fact, well at least I've found these interesting. Some are 40 sized but I believe will make Cool 60 sizedplanes when enlarged.

Banshee sept 1971 Flying Models
Cobra Sept 1976 RCM
EU-1 April 1978 MAN
Interceptor 1964 MAN (Love this one)
New Era III 1975 & 1996 RCM
Revenger May 1978 RCM
Side Pocket Oct 1983 RCM
SunFli IV July 1969 RCM
Tiger Panzer Sept 1972 RCM (F-5 or T34)
Tiger Tail 1972 MAN

I was able to enlargeall these with excellant results..

Bryan
Old 10-30-2010, 01:09 PM
doxilia

Bryan,

very nice selection!

I had been working on the Side Pocket a year ago or so as I had the idea of building one. Unfortunately I was working from a very low res scan that was part of the article. I can't recall exactly who sent me the article but I believe it was Paul (pitstop). I had a few exchanges with him on the topic as he built a couple of them and was very pleased at the time with how they flew. The have a rather interesting airfoil.

Since all I had was the letter size JPG scan, I worked with it to bring it up to scale (40 size 100%) and then blew it up further with what struck me as the right scale for a 60. Actually, Paul had mentioned that the designer had also scaled it up back then and gave it a slightly different name. So there was supposedly a 60 size version as well. An article came out within two or three years I think also in RCM. If your collection is complete, you may come across it if you search a bit. In any case, I was quite enthused with the idea of building one. I have a number of YS 45's and an OS 46 FX all waiting for a home. Well, some of the YS's are waiting for some MK kits to be built.

Which brings us back to the topic at hand. I hope to have an update on this project during the next two or three weeks.

David.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:21 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

This is sorta like archiology Love it all !
Old 11-12-2010, 01:55 PM
doxilia

Hey Bob,

oh yea! It is most definitely like fooling around with Nefertiti.[8D] Pure archeology...

Thanks for taking the time to check out the thread. I look forward to hearing from you when you can. There have been some good recent developments with the project.

David.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:05 PM
doxilia

Work on the Skymaster continues under my mouse as we speak...

In other excellent news, I'm happy to report that we have added a new member to the CAD task force.

Aurora underway! This one may come fast and furious.

It could well be that laser beams may start igniting very soon!

David.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:26 AM
doxilia

Just so that it doesn't all seem like smoke and mirrors, here's a little taste for all the Aurora lovers out there.

Expect more to come on this thread this winter!

David.

P.S. Viktor, I'll drop you a line this week. The fall has just been rather hectic.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:39 AM
doxilia

And a little further progress on the Skymaster as well. Fuse & formers are consistent. Fuse top view is next followed by wing rib lofting and finally a little dimensional consistency check. After that, it will be parts layout.

David.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.