Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

MK Thunderbird Mark II or III or ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 02:22 AM
Roguedog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MK Thunderbird Mark II or III or ?

Hi everbody.

This is a project I've been working on for some time now for me and Aurora 60 and I finally have two lasercut short kits that I picked up today. I've redrawn the plans from one to two pages. One for the wing (not finished) and one for the fuse.

Thanks to Aurora 60 who supplied me with the original MK Thunderbird MKII plans.

This is a revamp of an old Masahiro Kato kit called a Thunderbird MkII a sixty size pattern plane. I'm not sure but it has to be a pre-1976 era pattern plane.

That being said anybody have an idea of the date of this plane? Also what are the SPA regs about modifying A SPA plane until it's too modified.

I wanted to offer it as a SPA plane but changed a few things. I would like to call it a Thunderbird Mk III but was worried that changing the name from Mk II to Mk III would cause it to be excluded from SPA

Mods included;

Dave Brown 6070 engine mount instead of built-in would mount.
one half inch laeger in height and width for larger 16oz tank
small mod on rudder.
Redesigned fully symetrical Fin, to get rid of the 1/2" solid balsa fin with 3/4" added to the fore of the fin.
Redesigned fully symetrical Stab to get rid of the 1/2" solid balsa stab, with same footprint as orginal also to lighten.

I hope to be building soon.

Bryan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47944.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	1302809   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13160.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	1302810  
Old 10-27-2009, 10:41 AM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: MK Thunderbird Mark II or III or ?

Hi Bryan,
It is definitely pre-1976 and (99% sure) probably was designed prior to 1970. Unfortunately, I don't think I can document the origins accurately. As for your modifications (which all sound good, though I'm not sure a 16oz tank is really needed, but the original probably had a much smaller tank as it was powered with a pre-schnuerle engine) I believe the SPA has some limitations on changes, but I know they allow nose shortening/ tail lengthening to accommodate the ubiquitous OS 90 Surpass; so I think your changes are quite acceptable!
I'd love to see some construction photos and, of course, the finished airplane.
Happy Building,
Will B.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:08 PM
Roguedog

Hey Will.

The original plans called for a 320cc tank (10.82 oz), took a second to figure that one, which seemed kinda small to me. It now has room for up to a 16oz tank at least.

As far as the date of the plane I've done several searches on the internet and can't find anything about this rare Kato plane. I'm wondering if it's Kato's first patternship design. Hmmm. I have only seen one 40 sized kit on ebay over the last couple of years. Nothing else. It has some great lines. Me and Aurora 60 see a little P-51 in it as well as Kaos influences.

Still in the prototyping stages but hoping for an easy build. I noticed that a lot of the later MK kits are quite similer in design.

Bryan

Name:	Qo39555.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	496.5 KB
ID:	1302952   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45350.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	1302953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31408.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	1302954   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl21107.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	1302955  
Old 10-27-2009, 07:50 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi Bryan,
Ya, 320cc will barely allow decent flight time on a good 45/46 size engine these days!
I have wondered, myself, if the Thunderbird was Kato's first pattern design; I think yes. I have a Thunderbird 40 kit - yes they are relatively rare. I bet the gentleman in Korea (who has 2 MK kits on ebay right now) might have one.
-Will
Old 10-28-2009, 12:39 PM
BERUSTY
My Feedback: (3)

MK THunderbird Mark II, III

Roguedog...This model looks very much like the MK Champion (see photo below). I have contacted individuals in Japan regarding the origin of the MK Champion with no additional information. The kit included an advertising flyer showing kits and accessories that included the Champion and the Blue Angel (original not the 1973 WC which was a modified blue Angel) which places the model in the 1971 - 1972 area.

The Champion was flown extensively in September by myself and a few pals with very positive over-all results versus the infamous World Models highly modified Intruder which is eligible for SPA.

World Models Intruder- Powered by an O.S. .61 FX and stock muffler (.91 4-strokes did not exist in 1972)
- Stock 320 cc tank supplied with model
- APC 12 x 9 prop best over-all performance with Cool Power 15% fuel
- CG at the rear of the suggested range.
- All servos are digital and dual aileron servos
- Weight unknown

MK Champion- Powered by used Enya .61 and stock muffler purchased on Buy-Bay for $55.00
- 320 cc tank purchased from World Models based on size and shape
- APC 11 x 7, Rev-Up 11 x 7 1/2, MK Glass Nylon 11 x 7 3/4 tested
- Cool Power 15% fuel
- CG at recommended location
- All servos are digital with ONE aileron servo and estimated differential executed via servo wheel
- Weight 6 pounds 11 ounces

Flight results...flying the 1979 FAI sequence (see attachement) the MK Champion was our favorite (Dave Guerin and I) based on over-all precision, speed, "presentation" in flight and had MORE rudder authority than the highly modified, hardly still an Intruder (in my opinion) Intruder.

Suggestion: Build the model stock, observing weight, execution of control system installation and you will have a fine model!

320 cc tank: The size is just fine. I typically fly (9) minute flights as my tiny brain is strained and both models have fuel for about (10+) minutes. The size is just fine unless a tuned exhaust system is used.

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba

Name:	Hf99533.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	1303683   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30604.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	1303684  
Old 11-01-2009, 12:15 AM
Aurora_60
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: flywilly

Hi Bryan,
Ya, 320cc will barely allow decent flight time on a good 45/46 size engine these days!
I have wondered, myself, if the Thunderbird was Kato's first pattern design; I think yes. I have a Thunderbird 40 kit - yes they are relatively rare. I bet the gentleman in Korea (who has 2 MK kits on ebay right now) might have one.
-Will
Will,
I think it just might be as well. The plans are old style blue prints from hand drawn plans. Kinda neat. It would be interesting to see a MKI version.

Bryan,
Can't wait to see the build thread on your "MKIII" I know you have a lot of work to deal with as it seems to be with a few others in here, but we'll be anticipating the start. AWESOME job on you CAD plans too. A jig to build with would be nice..... hint

DM
Old 11-03-2009, 05:49 PM

Thunderbird Mark III might cause confusion. Why not call it a Thunderbird MKII-BH, since it's still a MKII basic design but with your mods.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:08 PM
wingding
My Feedback: (5)

I purchased a MK Thunderbird Jr in early 66. Not sure where it falls in the line.
No date on plans.
Charlie