Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Any info on a pattern plane called Scepter

Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Any info on a pattern plane called Scepter

Old 01-30-2010, 03:18 PM
Seventies Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any info on a pattern plane called Scepter

I have a kit here that has no label or instructions for it .On the edge of the foam cores I did find Scepter on it. I did a search for it a came up with just a tease about it.It linked me to the Futaba team members website. I have never heard of this plane and do not know who the designer was. Any ideas? Here is the link to the tease.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...&aq=f&aqi=&oq=
Old 01-30-2010, 05:27 PM
latinRClover

Default RE: Any info on a pattern plane called Scepter

I remember a Scepter by Chuck Hayes published in American Modeler around 1968....this was a mid wing pattern plane with coupled flaps/elevators like a U/C stunter. Powered by an Enya 60 with a 70' span constant chord wing.
Probably is not the same as yours....
Old 01-30-2010, 05:51 PM
kr9x
My Feedback: (7)

If the span is 64 inches it is most likely the above references model. Plans are still available from AMA.

Jon
Old 02-01-2010, 06:45 PM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is one American Aircraft Modeler August 1968 on sale at buybay. Item number: 390145135069
There is an article, Scepter: R/C pattern by Chuck Hayes
Ending in 15 days from today.

/Bo
Old 02-01-2010, 11:02 PM
Seventies Flyer

Thanks,I just purchased it.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:36 AM
Rover1newton
My Feedback: (15)

I just got one in trade. Retracts, saito 91, pretty much flawless... has fiberglass fuse and fiberglassed foam core wings... but this one says super sceptor...
Old 08-10-2010, 08:08 PM
Seventies Flyer

Pictures please
Old 08-15-2010, 06:07 AM
bjr_93tz

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rover1newton

I just got one in trade. Retracts, saito 91, pretty much flawless... has fiberglass fuse and fiberglassed foam core wings... but this one says super sceptor...
I picked up something from a clubmate that he reckoned was a "super sceptor", no other info provided by seller. It had a large chord wing with only a little taper with barn door ailerons, Fuse was fiberglass with detachable fiberglass top turtle deck and I suspect it was originally designed for an upright, rear exhaust geared .61 The tail moment seamed a bit short compared to the wingspan but it was much larger than the Curare or Magic, more like Tom Prosser "Eagle"

It was heavy but flew well with a .75, a 140 fourstroke would have been ideal but this was definately an early to mid 80's design.

I don't have the plane anymore but I have up loaded some pics.

The planes on the wall from right to left are: Magic 40 (red, white, black), Eagle (for geared 61, green), Super Sceptor (red, blue, yellow white), Miss muffet (.40 sized formula S), Curare.61 (red/white), Albatross (2.5m Glider), Precident biplane, (ignore the f-18), Power house old timer, and Ugly Stick (yellow).

Car is/was Ford Fairlane ZL model......Oh and that's not me in the pic.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk24822.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	1484148   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39187.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	1484149   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85499.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	1484150  
Old 08-17-2010, 01:06 AM
jbudd
My Feedback: (1)

The Super Scepter was a 60 sized balsa and foam pattern model designed and flown by Rusty van Baren in California in the mid-late 80's. It was kitted by a regional kit supplier (don't remember which), but it never really caught on outside District 7. Decent airplane though.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:50 AM
Dave Harmon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's right Jerry.....
I built one in 84' and 3 more for other guys.
It was kitted by Craft-Air I think....I believe Richard Verano worked there at the time.
I still have my first one...and Rene's motor mounts too!
Rusty Van Baren told me it was an update of the Deception designed by Jim Kimbro.
A very honest airplane...Jerry...I still have the nice trophies you made using turbine blades.....thanks man...fun times.

Dave
Old 08-17-2010, 07:14 PM
Rendegade

ORIGINAL: bjr_93tz

ORIGINAL: Rover1newton

I picked up something from a clubmate that he reckoned was a ''super sceptor'', no other info provided by seller. It had a large chord wing with only a little taper with barn door ailerons, Fuse was fiberglass with detachable fiberglass top turtle deck and I suspect it was originally designed for an upright, rear exhaust geared .61 The tail moment seamed a bit short compared to the wingspan but it was much larger than the Curare or Magic, more like Tom Prosser ''Eagle''

It was heavy but flew well with a .75, a 140 fourstroke would have been ideal but this was definately an early to mid 80's design.

I don't have the plane anymore but I have up loaded some pics.

The planes on the wall from right to left are: Magic 40 (red, white, black), Eagle (for geared 61, green), Super Sceptor (red, blue, yellow white), Miss muffet (.40 sized formula S), Curare.61 (red/white), Albatross (2.5m Glider), Precident biplane, (ignore the f-18), Power house old timer, and Ugly Stick (yellow).

Car is/was Ford Fairlane ZL model......Oh and that's not me in the pic.
So thats where my old albatross went! hehe yours looks exactly like mine did. I think the less said about the old golden fairlane the better
Old 08-18-2010, 02:29 AM
bjr_93tz

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Oi Rendegade, I just covered my Albatross the same as what was pictured on the box...

As for the Fairlane, nice car but electronics were dodgey to say the least. Went to the car one morning and it was locking/unlocking itself every few seconds, it only ever did that once. There were many things it only did once and many things it just kept on doing and you learned to ignore them.....Good thing the computer wasn't in charge of the throttle like a Prius