Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

My special "Hanno Special" box

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 06:34 PM
kiwijet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My special "Hanno Special" box

Hi guys,

Had a big workshop clean-up tidy last weekend and found this piece of pattern memorabilia you might like to see!

I was lucky enough to attend the World Champs pattern/pylon and heli at Whangaratta Australia in 1991. I bought my hanno engine in Melbourne on the way to the competition, then hung around the heats in F3A waiting for the "master" to appear. At the completion of one of his qualifing rounds I trapped Hanno on the way back to the pits for a quick chat about the engine and got him to autograph the box for me....ohhh happy days! given he had just completed a qualifying round and not even stepped off the feild he spent about 15 minutes chatting about his flight and the concept behind his engine.

For someone that grew up in the 70's as I did idolising this guy and flying his designs, I gotta say meeting him still ranks as my No 1 moment in over 40 years of model aircraft flying! and what a nice person to talk to!

Unfortunately the pic of him and I together is not the greatest as it was still frame captured off my video recorder, but what the heck I'll never forget the moment! And before anyone asks...............NO the box is not for sale and probably never will be, I still fly the engine to this very day (now fitted with nelson liner) and when it finally retires it will go back in the box and up on my "man cave" wall for display!

I have however decided to sell one of my spare rebuilt hanno's and if anyones interested have just listed it on that internationally renouned auction site....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98022.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	1457536   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70682.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	1457537  
Old 06-23-2010, 08:01 PM
R_G
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: My special

That is VERY COOL! One of those once in a lifetime moments! What a great memory!
Old 06-24-2010, 08:19 AM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

Wow that's Awesome!! Thanks for sharing the photo!!
Old 06-25-2010, 08:18 PM
T Brooks

ORIGINAL: kiwijet

I have however decided to sell one of my spare rebuilt hanno's and if anyones interested have just listed it on that internationally renouned auction site....
I helped Rene with the rebuild of the Hanno on the auction site and all I can say is that it is in really good condition. It looks stunning with the new cylinder head. starts and runs real nice too. I have been trying to convince him to keep it in the collection .

Cheers
Tarquin
Old 06-26-2010, 04:30 AM
crankpin
My Feedback: (15)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look's Good.

Crank
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78797.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	1458498  
Old 06-26-2010, 07:32 PM
bjr_93tz

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey Kiwijet, You do realise that by listing the item on the US based site and only selecting US shipping that this item doesn't appear in a search from the Australian based site........

If it doesn't "ship worldwide" it isn't included in the Aussie search results "From International sellers".

If it works like this in Europe as well then there's only a very small part of the world that will stumble upon your listing.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:01 PM
alcarafa

Looked for the engine at bay, it never came up anywhere [&o] !!!!
Old 06-26-2010, 08:42 PM
kiwijet

Hey bjr_93tz, thanks for the heads up on international shipping, I'm kinda new to selling on the bay so how do I list for international shipping? can't find the list that allows me to select this option.

Listing number is Item #140420366700 or google "hanno special ebay"...

Cheers....kiwipst

Old 06-27-2010, 01:45 AM
alcarafa

What was the real difference from a HS against a OS 61RF? some say it was only marketing others say there was a real difference in both engines.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:59 AM
bjr_93tz

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Alcarafa, the differences are real and the big ones are different port timing and shape, different pump, different carburetter, bigger rear bearing (stainless steel as well), and different crank. It also has it's own longer annodised red tuned pipe. There may be other subtle differences.

I've never owned a 61RF, so I can't compare the performance difference of the two and my Hanno runs like a sewing machine, however mine had suffered the dreaded nickle plating peeling off the liner. It's on it's second liner and that's peeling too. I managed to get an aftermarket piston and liner for it when FlyWilly organised a small production run but that will never happen again. Maybe when Haley's comet blows by he can get some more made up.

Kiwijet, I can't help you there? Any lookers have to search the ".com" address not the ".com.xx"
Old 06-27-2010, 02:16 AM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: alcarafa

What was the real difference from a HS against a OS 61RF? some say it was only marketing others say there was a real difference in both engines.
They are different engines:

The Hanno is designed to provide maximum power in the 9500 rpm range...It will swing a 12x12 prop @ approx 9500 - 10.3k depending on the fuel and tuning...As I understand it: The Hanno Special was designed to lower the noise while providing maximum power...It immediately preceded the 4 stroke engines...

The RF-P will perform best in the 11.5k range...It will swing a 12x8 @ 11.5k...It is a very powerful engine but not as strong as the Hanno...I have run the RF-P with a 12x10 APC turning 10.8k on Powermaster 20/20 fuel....

While most people will recognize the red head on the Hanno there are several other differences between the two engines:

The Hanno has a different pump and carburetor than the RF-P..
The Hanno's crank is stainless...
All Hanno's have a really nice 35mm Stainless Steel rear bearing...The earlier RF-P's have a 30mm rear bearing...OS changed that on the later versions and started using the 35mm rear bearing on the SF and RF engines..
The porting and timing are different..
The Hanno has a machined cylinder head -vs- cast on the RF's...

I'm probably forgetting some stuff but that's sorta the highlights in a nutshell..

Have Fun..

Chuck

P.S. Dang I typed too slow and did not see bjr_93tz 's response..Oh well I ain't erasing it...lol
Old 06-27-2010, 03:52 PM
alcarafa

Thanks for your input chuck & bj , it's now clear the difference with both engines.