RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Classic RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/)
-   -   Dirty Birdy Build Thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/7899168-dirty-birdy-build-thread.html)

AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken 02-03-2010 10:28 PM

RE: Dirty Birdy Build Thread

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm still not sure what to coat the plug with. I'm thinking Bondo will work nice. It should sand to a nice finish and withstand some hot plastic. I'll pick some up tomorrow along with some PETG. I'll get my buddy Chris (Cspaced) to get started on the vacuum box.

David, if you've got a plug made, I can form a pair of wingtips. Send me a PM.

CollectivelySpaced 02-03-2010 10:46 PM

Looking good Jeff, I thought I saw your workshop light burning ;) We'll have a replacement back on your DB before the weekend is out!

pitstop000 02-03-2010 10:50 PM

Jeff,

Sending a PM

CollectivelySpaced 02-03-2010 11:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is bascially the same method we'll use for the replacement canopy. This is a mold we used to make Texan cowls for the old House of Balsa pylon racer.

The mold is mounted to a base, which has holes strategically drilled through it to suck the plastic down over the plug. The bottom of the base is lined with foam tape to ensure a good air seal. The base is then placed on a platform which has the vacuum attached to it (such as a shop vac), which also has guides to hold the mold in place as well as the frame that will have the PETG stapled to it. After the PETG is stapled to the frame, it is placed in an oven until the plastic starts to sag. The vacuum is turned on, and the PETG frame is immediately placed over the mold where it is held in place by the guides until the plastic cools. Then its just a case of trimming the new part. [8D]

Jeff, I already have a couple of PETG sheets cut to size for the cowl mold, we may as well make those up too.

AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken 02-04-2010 12:22 AM

I just got an Email from Bluejay informing me that they do not have spare canopies at this time. Well at least they answered...

I was out sanding on the plug - blending the foam/balsa seam and decided that epoxy and micro balloons will make a great coating. I attached the balsa to the foam with epoxy and there was no adverse reaction. Before I commit, I mixed up a test batch and smeared it on some scrap. I'll check it in the morning.
I also smeared some Bondo spot puddy on some scrap and the spot puddy dissolved the foam.

doxilia 02-04-2010 02:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: CSpaced

This is bascially the same method we'll use for the replacement canopy. This is a mold we used to make Texan cowls for the old House of Balsa pylon racer.

The mold is mounted to a base, which has holes strategically drilled through it to suck the plastic down over the plug. The bottom of the base is lined with foam tape to ensure a good air seal. The base is then placed on a platform which has the vacuum attached to it (such as a shop vac), which also has guides to hold the mold in place as well as the frame that will have the PETG stapled to it. After the PETG is stapled to the frame, it is placed in an oven until the plastic starts to sag. The vacuum is turned on, and the PETG frame is immediately placed over the mold where it is held in place by the guides until the plastic cools. Then its just a case of trimming the new part. [8D]

Jeff, I already have a couple of PETG sheets cut to size for the cowl mold, we may as well make those up too.
Ooohhhh...! [sm=tongue_smile.gif]

Chris, don't suppose I could purchase a couple of those from you?

It must have taken us a good couple of evenings to make the wood cowls! (So long coke bottoms...)

David.

P.S. Model trim is incomplete.

doxilia 02-04-2010 02:27 AM

By the way Jeff - nice going! She'll be mask free in no time now.

David.

CollectivelySpaced 02-04-2010 08:56 AM

ORIGINAL: doxilia

It must have taken us a good couple of evenings to make the wood cowls! (So long coke bottoms...)

David.

I'll have to grab some extra PETG, but I don't see a problem making a few extra.

CollectivelySpaced 02-04-2010 08:58 AM

ORIGINAL: AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken

I just got an Email from Bluejay informing me that they do not have spare canopies at this time. Well at least they answered...

I was out sanding on the plug - blending the foam/balsa seam and decided that epoxy and micro balloons will make a great coating. I attached the balsa to the foam with epoxy and there was no adverse reaction. Before I commit, I mixed up a test batch and smeared it on some scrap. I'll check it in the morning.
I also smeared some Bondo spot puddy on some scrap and the spot puddy dissolved the foam.
So they are still alive :D

Epoxy and micro balloons should work great.

AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken 02-04-2010 09:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)

David.

David, Nice Texan. Our old club used to host AT-6 pylon racing events twice a year.

Chris has the coolest looking Texan, but I can't find a picture of it on this computer.

CollectivelySpaced 02-04-2010 10:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken

David, Nice Texan. Our old club used to host AT-6 pylon racing events twice a year.

Chris has the coolest looking Texan, but I can't find a picture of it on this computer.

Here's two that I built, the one Jeff is referring to is the Aeroshell version - I still have it up in my attic somewhere :D

I should also mention that the yellow and red one Jeff's holding in the picture was the lightest Texan ever built I think :D

AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken 02-04-2010 10:50 AM

I should also mention that the yellow and red one Jeff's holding in the picture was the lightest Texan ever built I think :D
And the fastest! ;) IIRC it weighed ~ 28oz ready to fly with a Thunder Tiger GP .25 (bushing engine). The Red Bull one weighed ~34oz.

AndyKunz 02-04-2010 12:27 PM

A few years ago, a mold-making friend turned me on to Piranha Putty instead of Bondo. Bondo is well-known for voids and how it doesn't work well when you need to fill them. Piranha doesn't make the voids, and it sands much better than Bondo. I haven't tried comparing it weight-wise for use as a part of an airframe, but when it comes to making a quick mold it's the cat's meow.

Andy

doxilia 02-04-2010 12:54 PM

I'll have to grab some extra PETG, but I don't see a problem making a few extra.
Chris, Jeff,

very nice Texan's indeed! A quick glance at the yellow and red one gives you the feeling that it is very light. Nice Red Bull and Aeroshell versions! Does this last have a stretched wing?

Mine came in at 34 oz built stock covered in MK - fuel extra. I have another in box which I was planning to lighten up some day.

Chris, I appreciate the offer to pull some extra cowls. PM me with payment details when you can.

Many thanks, David.

AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken 02-04-2010 01:16 PM

ORIGINAL: AndyKunz

A few years ago, a mold-making friend turned me on to Piranha Putty instead of Bondo. Bondo is well-known for voids and how it doesn't work well when you need to fill them. Piranha doesn't make the voids, and it sands much better than Bondo. I haven't tried comparing it weight-wise for use as a part of an airframe, but when it comes to making a quick mold it's the cat's meow.

Andy
I'm just nervous about any product attacking the foam plug I made. If I had used wood to make the plug, I'd experiment with different fillers. That Piranha Puddy sounds like good stuff. I might try it on the Mach 1 to fill any voids/dents after glassing.

AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken 02-04-2010 01:23 PM

Chris, Jeff,

very nice Texan's indeed! A quick glance at the yellow and red one gives you the feeling that it is very light. Nice Red Bull and Aeroshell versions! Does this last have a stretched wing?

Mine came in at 34 oz built stock covered in MK - fuel extra. I have another in box which I was planning to lighten up some day.

Chris, I appreciate the offer to pull some extra cowls. PM me with payment details when you can.

Many thanks, David.

All four of those Texans are stock HOB kits. The reason the red/yellow one came in so light was due to equipment/covering selection. I think the whole plane was put together with 1/2oz of CA.
The covering is Coverite MicroLite. The engine mount was trimmed, the fuel tank is a Hayes 4oz (lighter than Dubro or Sullivan), Futaba S3110 Micro servos (6) one per aileron / elevator half, 160mAh battery, 1/2a pushrods, MPI wheels and one wheel collar per axle. Chris' cowels are very thin and light. With a plane that size, every little bit helps.

AndyKunz 02-04-2010 01:25 PM

There are lots of ways to skin the cat, even from where you are. I would lay up a few thin glass/epoxy layers on your foam plug, then dissolve the foam and replace it with plaster. That will give you something good enough to pull a few clear ones off. Make sure you spend lots of time getting that mold surface perfect. The clear will show any imperfections VERY plainly.

Andy

AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken 02-04-2010 01:27 PM

ORIGINAL: AndyKunz

Andy
Here's a link to the stuff Andy is talking about. I'm going to order some.

[link=http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/3m-piranha-advanced-finishing-putty-05821-p-10961.aspx]Piranha Puddy[/link]

Atlanta 60 02-04-2010 02:09 PM

Here is a product you guys may be interested in...I like it allot and use it quite a bit:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo.../quickPoxy.php

Boy I'm a bit behind on my thread reading!! I love the work you guys are doing and love the Summit III (another one of my favorites)...

Chuck

dbacque 02-04-2010 04:51 PM

Last time I vacuum formed a canopy I covered the plug with light weight glass and finishing resin. Then used Bondo glazing putty for final filling. Worked out great.

By the way, if you don't have a vacuum box made yet, there's a good article here http://web.archive.org/web/200701051...y/vacuform.htm

Dave

flynaples 02-04-2010 06:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
WOW great thread
I have had my Dirty Biridi now for 3 years started stopped started stopped now I have started agin and have been making some good progress
I haver the 60 size with the fiberglass fuse and form core wing with glass over it going to put a Rossi 60 that has been upgraded to a morrishobbies and a tuned pipe should
fly really nice and fast anywho here is some pics I have the first coat of primer on and finishing the inside rigging etc...

pitstop000 02-04-2010 10:16 PM

Flynaples, who told you this plane is a Dirty Birdy?

AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken 02-04-2010 10:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
First coat of resin.

I poured straight finishing resin on the plug and rubbed it in the foam, then let that soak in for 5 min or so.
Then I poured micro balloons over the mold and rubbed that in. Then I scraped the excess material off with a thin piece of cardboard. The last pic shows a slight sheen to the plug.

Once this sets up, the next coat will be 50/50 finishing resin/micro balloons. then sanded with 600 grit.

AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken 02-04-2010 11:31 PM

ORIGINAL: flynaples

WOW great thread
I have had my Dirty Biridi now for 3 years started stopped started stopped now I have started agin and have been making some good progress
I haver the 60 size with the fiberglass fuse and form core wing with glass over it going to put a Rossi 60 that has been upgraded to a morrishobbies and a tuned pipe should
fly really nice and fast anywho here is some pics I have the first coat of primer on and finishing the inside rigging etc...

I think you have a different Bridi model called The Great Escape.
http://www.trentonrcflyers.com/patte...t%20Escape.jpg

AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken 02-05-2010 12:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Coat #2.