RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Classic RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/)
-   -   Scoop! Hangar 9 Phoenix 7...ARF!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/9127034-scoop-hangar-9-phoenix-7-arf.html)

JAS 09-29-2009 09:34 PM

RE: Scoop! Hangar 9 Phoenix 7...ARF!!!

ORIGINAL: raddraddrobb

they dont make them like this anymore
Now THIS is a sexy plane...lol

crankpin 09-30-2009 03:53 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: BTerry

P.S. it seems the new short stroke engine is about ready for market: http://www.evolutionengines.com/Prod..._content=.60NX

It would be nice to have the NVA up front, instead of down inside the rear cowl area. Looking at it, looks like the cap screw on the carb can be removed. Transfer the NVA to this ?

Vince

BTerry 09-30-2009 09:06 AM

Vince I believe all of the remote needle valves work like that. Remove the cap screw, reinstall the needle valve, and get rid of all the problems associated with the RNV's.

Of course then we put our fingers near the prop. How did we ever survive before the lawyers got involved and made the manufacturers act as our nannies?

MMcConville 09-30-2009 10:04 AM

Exactly correct. If you look at the pics of the P7, it has the new Evolution 60NX in it and the needle is moved up front. Takes about 60 seconds to do. OK make 120 seconds.

Vince, the wings/stab/rudder are Ultracote covered. The fuse is painted. (basecoat/clearcoat).

MMcConville 09-30-2009 10:12 AM

BTW, the new Evolution .60NX (w/ muffler) is shipping from Horizon today.

I've been running it in the Phoenix on a MAC pipe turning an APC 11 x 7, 15% Coop Power, and have very good power. I havent run it muffled yet, but do plan to put one in a Taurus and see how it does.
BTW, the Taurus is a model I was lucky enough to find at a swap meet a few years ago. Its not a product, just my own model.

BTerry 09-30-2009 10:19 AM

Mike,

glad we could finally drag you in to this thread. I am sure this plane is a huge risk for a manufacturer to bring to market.

Many of us here are excited to see a good reproduction of an excellent plane on the market in ARF form, and we will do as much as we can to ensure its success. Personally I can't wait to try the screaming, horizon-to-horizon, on-the-deck, slow rolls and towering loops with a screaming piped .60 engine again!

As a side benefit to me, this plane has the same color scheme as the Curare I built with my Dad nearly 30 years ago now.

Great job!

Brett

BTerry 09-30-2009 10:22 AM

ORIGINAL: MMcConville

BTW, the new Evolution .60NX (w/ muffler) is shipping from Horizon today.

I've been running it in the Phoenix on a MAC pipe turning an APC 11 x 7, 15% Coop Power, and have very good power. I havent run it muffled yet, but do plan to put one in a Taurus and see how it does.
Can you quote an RPM figure with that prop and pipe? I am curious where it will fit compared to some other older engines. The light weight of the engine is very good as well, and Evolution engines use a very high-quality hard chrome bore that holds up very well under use, unlike some other engines that we love to use and hate to service...

crankpin 09-30-2009 10:29 AM

Less work, best quality, good names associated with the product. Mike did it right.

Vince

BERUSTY 09-30-2009 11:05 AM

Hangar 9 Phoenix 7 ARF...

Question about RPM of EVolution .61 short stroke?

One not very scientific method...personal observation.

Friday in Muncie provided a unique opportunity to compare the Mark Radcliff 1981 Phoenix 8 powered by an OS .61 with mixture control and the Hangar 9 Phoenix 7 with the modestly priced EVolution .61 and the Mac's $100 (street price) tuned pipe set-up.

Mark was using the original wooden prop and Mike's was using the modern APC, similar fuel and very similar weather conditions. Mark began his flight with a light drizzle, which after he flew 7-8 minutes, became a steady rain...with Mark still flying elements from the 1981 sequence. Mike fired up, retracted the gear and appeared to have the similar amount of speed (horizonatal and vertical), vertical performance (limited by eye site) and was able to make each element as large as he wanted.

Dave Guerin and I talked about both flights and agreed that:

1. Mike's prototype was awesome, groovy, appeared to lock-in very well
2. The EVolution motor and pipe combo was surprisingly powerful...sounded great!
3. Mike can fly very well!
4. Mark's plane flies very well, groovy, locked-in sounds very cool!
5. Mark was kind'a crazy for flying in the rain storm.
6. Mark can "still" fly very well.

Propellor technology, RPM on the ground versus the "unloaded" RPM in flight.

My interest in classic pattern is based on the simple idea of recreating a specific model, engine and propellor combination and see how the models flew. My Intruder and MK Champion have given me the opportunity to "fly" a bunch of different props including the old school Zinger, Rev-Up, Top-Flight, MK glass nylon (white) and the APC props of similar sizes. The quick conclusion...the APC's basically are quieter and develop more pulling power then any of the aforementioned on non-piped set-ups. I will be adding the Mac's pipe/header to the O.S. .61 FX powered Intruder to re-test the previous brands AND a DW prop made for a longer stroked set-up.

The old school props look a lot cooler. The best non-piped flight performance of the Intruder with muffled O.S. .61 FX on Cool Power 15%...the APC 12 x 9 performed the best. I did not expect this, never the less, it worked. No RPM measurements were taken, just flight observations.

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba

KLXMASTER14 09-30-2009 11:31 AM

Mike,

1. From a distance, the Robart retracts appear to be a knock-off of the Spring-Air units. I say from a distance, as I have not had the opportunity to examine them side-by-side. Do you know if the Spring-Air units will fit in the same foot print as the Robart?

2. Will it be feasible to run a rear exhaust .61 w/ pipe without creating an engineering project to make it fit, or would it be wise to stick with the side exhaust set-up?

Thank you,
Robert Fish

NM2K 09-30-2009 11:51 AM

I wish Sanye luck with their new small block .60 two-stroke (Evolution). I hope they have discovered some new tricks that were not incorporated in the OS .55AX and the Enya .61CX (actually a .58). Don't mind me if I'm a bit skeptical, since neither of the latter two mentioned engines comes anywhere close to hanging in there with an OS .61VF or FSR.

Ed Cregger

crankpin 09-30-2009 12:36 PM

Have to wait and see.

Vince

hairy46 09-30-2009 01:07 PM

Would like to see some come out in solid white, Red, Blue, etc. so that we can add some of our own colors, But yes looks like a winner! sign me up! Bob

Remember it is easier to ask for forgiveness then for permission!

Aurora_60 09-30-2009 02:20 PM

I posted earlier about offering an ARC version. I thought about it and I dont think that would be fesable. I don't too many people out there would want to (or know how to) cover there own plane. I guess it wouldn't make sense to offer and stock a version that only a limited few would purchase. Oh well, at least it will be available and in an evenings worth of time, you could have yourself an ARC!

DM

hairy46 09-30-2009 02:41 PM

Ya, if they just come out with some solid colors the RC'ers could make it there own by adding some stick on monocote to just stickers so that it was diffrent to the rest! Really wouldn't need an iron! I own an Escapade and I am still waiting for some of the next will be diffrent colors before I buy another! But here's hoping! Bob

crankpin 09-30-2009 03:10 PM

Get your order in.

Crank

Aurora_60 09-30-2009 04:03 PM

The release of ARFs of collector kits does bring down the monetary value of the originals. Frankly I think some of the prices of kits have gone out of control. But sometimes, you just gotta have it! A few years back I won a Goldberg Skylark for just above $250. That was about the going price. Then came the ARF and the originals were selling for half that in a matter of a couple months. I'm still happy with my kit, since I planned to build it and not invest into it.

Yeah, a light evening or two should be able to get all the Ultracoat (?) off, maybe a couple little details like fillets too.

The P-7 ARF is one hell of an awesome treat. I'm really glad tha Mike didn't go for the boxy nose like the Tower Kaos. I think that makes the plane!

DM

hairy46 09-30-2009 04:21 PM

At my field if something comes along that really works everyone wants one! All I was saying it would be nice to have at least a pure white one to do as you please! Yes excited about the plane but being it is not out yet and would take les effort not to have the color sceme just maybe they could have that option! Could not hurt or could it?

Old RC Aviator 09-30-2009 05:30 PM

Just the thing to go with my Tipo. Beautiful Phoenix.

rcguy! 09-30-2009 06:39 PM

I like it! Maybe this instead of waiting for the EU-1A kit? Hmmm...

With ALL P7's looking alike at a contest I should score as good a Mark right? :-))

Dave Rigotti

Gungadin 09-30-2009 07:26 PM

Well anything is possible Dave. But some things are less possible than others ! Ha.:)

790 09-30-2009 07:54 PM

I would be happy if only the P-7 glass fuse and plan were available. I can build the rest. I don't think the plans for a wood version were ever released. A short kit would be awesome. I'm sure the RTF will be outta my price range.

rcguy! 09-30-2009 08:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Gungadin

Well anything is possible Dave. But some things are less possible than others ! Ha.:)
"The older I get, the better I was"

Dave "world champion" Rigotti

RonMcCormick 09-30-2009 08:06 PM

790, When the ARF is available the kits will come down a lot so be patient. I know I will sale most if not all of my P7 kits and others will also.
Ron

Gungadin 09-30-2009 08:12 PM

OK "Champ". See at the flyin field soon I hope. Dan:D

airbusdrvr 09-30-2009 08:21 PM

Crank, if there are more than one Phoenix, are they then Phoenixes or Phoenices(i.e. matrix/matrices)?[sm=what_smile.gif][sm=what_smile.gif]

I don't know the answer, either[:o]

crankpin 10-01-2009 04:57 AM

How about this: Is the word Phoenix a proper noun? Trying to remember my English. A name is a noun? I do not think you can put an "s" behind the "x" or another "s". Therefore, after the "x", has to be an apostrophe? Yes. for being a plural.

Crank

MMcConville 10-01-2009 08:09 AM

Guys, I'm a little embarrased nothaving RPM figures for the new engine, but I dont trust my memory and will have to get them. I remember thinking it was good when I first ran it and find the power in the P7 is be excellent.

As for the Robart Spring downs, I dont know the answer to the question of them being interchangable with the Spring Airs. Personally, in the day I always ran Southern (Dave Brown) retracts, but today, pnumatics work well and are just easier to install.

earlwb 10-01-2009 09:55 AM

Wow!  Nice.
I can't wait to get one.
I need to oil up my old .60 engines from my pattern flying days in anticipation of this plane's release.

it would be really neat if they have a plane for rear exhaust 60's with a tuned pipe too.

KLXMASTER14 10-01-2009 08:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dear Mr. Fish,

Please shoehorn me into the nose of a nice, shiny new Phoenix 7. I promise to faithfully rip up the sky and pull your plane through countless gigantic Blue Angel style vertical maneuvers and horizon-to-horizon point rolls. All of your friends will be impressed.

Signed,
Mr. Tigre

cllaurit 10-02-2009 06:22 AM

ORIGINAL: KLXMASTER14

Dear Mr. Fish,

Please shoehorn me into the nose of a nice, shiny new Phoenix 7. I promise to faithfully rip up the sky and pull your plane through countless gigantic Blue Angel style vertical maneuvers and horizon-to-horizon point rolls. All of your friends will be impressed.

Signed,
Mr. Tigre
I had an X.61 in a Magic many years ago and that was the fastest pattern plane I ever owned. Faster then my Rossi powered P7 and 8's.

8178 10-02-2009 08:59 AM

With all the excitement about this, I assume this ARF will be made by Horizon Hobbies employees here in America? So your hard earned money used to buy the ARF will go to supporting jobs in the United States. If that is case, then bravo to Horizon Hobbies for supporting American values and that would make it a good ARF that people could be proud to own.

MMcConville 10-02-2009 12:39 PM

ORIGINAL: crankpin

Get your order in.

Crank

Actually guys, you cant get it ordered yet, its not open for orders on our system. The unveiling at the tailgate was a bit out of the ordinary for us but it was a good opportunity considering the type of model it is. Just hang tight. You wont miss out. We will set production to meet demand best we can.

alcarafa 10-02-2009 01:40 PM

Mike I'm sure many pilots would like to know the process horizon took to decide wich CPP to develop and why .

Can you tell us about the proyect and development, where there any other CPP's considered besides P7 ?

timmy45140 10-02-2009 07:56 PM

Count me in for at least two of them.

Tim

Tommygun 10-03-2009 10:37 AM

Wow, I can't believe they're really going to make it. I think with this plane, my Tiporare, and my Kwik Fli, I'll be set on pattern planes. Now all I need is a wood-paneled 70's County Squire wagon with some Todd Rundgren in the 8-track player to take them all to the field.

crankpin 10-03-2009 03:27 PM

I'll take a wood paneled 1971 Chevrolet wagon with the clam shell rear door.

Vince

Tommygun 10-04-2009 09:52 AM

Vince
Yeah, actually, I would too, being a hardcore GM fan. My grandfather had a huge white 1973 Impala clamshell wagon, smallblock 400- still wish I took it off his hands when he was offering. Would've been a heck of a plane hauler for sure. I referenced the Squire in the scenario since they were more iconic- hence more familiar to everyone than the GM Estate wagons of the day. I'm half tempted to pick up a clamshell if I run across a good deal. Anyone know what equipment I'd need to replicate an early 1970's era field box to set on the tailgate? Already have an old Kraft Gold box- gotta go for the whole effect ya know.

8178 10-04-2009 11:07 AM

ORIGINAL: Tommygun

Vince
Yeah, actually, I would too, being a hardcore GM fan. My grandfather had a huge white 1973 Impala clamshell wagon, smallblock 400- still wish I took it off his hands when he was offering. Would've been a heck of a plane hauler for sure. I referenced the Squire in the scenario since they were more iconic- hence more familiar to everyone than the GM Estate wagons of the day. I'm half tempted to pick up a clamshell if I run across a good deal. Anyone know what equipment I'd need to replicate an early 1970's era field box to set on the tailgate? Already have an old Kraft Gold box- gotta go for the whole effect ya know.
What could be more American than that, a GM clamshell wagon, Kraft radio and an American designed Phoenix 7 that was hand crafted by the Horizon Hobbies’ craftsmen out on Fieldstone Road in Champaign, IL USA. It would be interesting to see some pictures of the Phoenix 7s being built.

crankpin 10-04-2009 03:47 PM

I remember that. Wife and I were in our first house, 1973, paid $18K for it. Dave Brown lived 5 minutes from our home. He and Sally had a 1971 blue Chevrolet station wagon, he had 2 children, we had our first daughter. He affixed two aluminum, looked like TV antenna tube's, from L to R rear inside top, wrapped with wing sealing tape foam. This is where the Phoenix wing's would ride. My evening's were spent in Dave's basement, building Phoenix', drinking Stroh's, not always, but usual thirst quencher.
Good education on glass fuselage's and foam wing's. The Chevy had a 400 small block, not the big block, but the punched out small block, maybe stroked a little. Wife and I could not afford two cars, so the Chevy was used for everything.

The clamshell rear door. The best for RC, I built rack's for the fuselage's. Go to a contest, took daughter, wife, cooler, off we went. Can't believe we were always doing 75-80, on belted tire's. No such thing as radial's, but disc brake's were standard on most vehicle's then, drums on the rear. Phoenix', Super Tigre Bluehead's, or G61ABC's, Harry Roe 25% Ucon oil fuel, Top Flite 11X7.5" Super M's, cut down to 10.5". I used the WE Expert series then, never a problem, but eventually went to Pro-Line and Kraft, as not being a WE employee anymore, I could use any radio, if I could afford it. Kraft and ProLine were big stuff back then.

Crank