RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Classic RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/)
-   -   Scoop! Hangar 9 Phoenix 7...ARF!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/9127034-scoop-hangar-9-phoenix-7-arf.html)

MMcConville 10-05-2009 08:54 AM

RE: Scoop! Hangar 9 Phoenix 7...ARF!!!

We chose the P7 for a few reasons. First, it was quite popular in the mid-late 70's and is as likely to succeed as any of the top classic designs from that era.
Its a personal project for myself as well. Watching Dave Brown, Mark Radcliff and Don Lowe as a kid is probably the biggest reason I do what I do today. They were my childhood heros and in the days when they flew the P5 through the P7 I would watch and dream of flying with them one day.
Fortunately Don Lowe is as much of a gentleman as he is a famous airplane designer and very graciously worked with us to do the P-7.

alcarafa 10-05-2009 11:39 AM

ORIGINAL: MMcConville

We chose the P7 for a few reasons. First, it was quite popular in the mid-late 70's and is as likely to succeed as any of the top classic designs from that era.
Its a personal project for myself as well. Watching Dave Brown, Mark Radcliff and Don Lowe as a kid is probably the biggest reason I do what I do today. They were my childhood heros and in the days when they flew the P5 through the P7 I would watch and dream of flying with them one day.
Fortunately Don Lowe is as much of a gentleman as he is a famous airplane designer and very graciously worked with us to do the P-7.
Mike thanks for your reply, I thought main reason was : it's an american design and great flier.

Hope P7 becomes a succesful seller and in the near future H9 may consider developing other CPP's like CURARE, AURORA, BLUE ANGEL etc ......so many to choose out.

Congratulations great project.

crankpin 10-05-2009 12:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I can see Mike's choice, very clearly. Mike grew up in the shadow's of Don Lowe, Dave Brown, and some more flyer's in that area of Ohio. It is a great testimonial to Don Lowe, to produce one of the Phoenix series, and of course Dave Brown, with his sidekick, Sally, calling the maneuver's.
The P-7 is a great choice. A lot of us flew with Don and Dave, and other's, wishing we could do the 4 and 8 point roll's like they did. We got a lot of inspiration from them, and did our best to copy their style. I never got that good, but it made my day if one of them at a contest said, "That was a nice flight". Those word's coming from them were better then any award.

Thanks Mike, you made our day, the Phoenix 7 ARF came along at the right time. Now we may see more old pattern flyer's, get out of the house and on the field. Make for happy wive's.:D The World Intruder helped, but it left a lot on the table. It is very capable in the hands of a good flyer, but for presentation, can't beat the Phoenix. Tom Scott's P-5 attached, along with DL's P-10, Dave & Sally at a contest.

Vince
Hobe Sound, FL

NM2K 10-05-2009 12:17 PM

ORIGINAL: Tommygun

ORIGINAL: crankpin

I'll take a wood paneled 1971 Chevrolet wagon with the clam shell rear door.

Vince
Yeah, actually, I would too, being a hardcore GM fan. My grandfather had a huge white 1973 Impala clamshell wagon, smallblock 400- still wish I took it off his hands when he was offering. Would've been a heck of a plane hauler for sure. I referenced the Squire in the scenario since they were more iconic- hence more familiar to everyone than the GM Estate wagons of the day. I'm half tempted to pick up a clamshell if I run across a good deal. Anyone know what equipment I'd need to replicate an early 1970's era field box to set on the tailgate? Already have an old Kraft Gold box- gotta go for the whole effect ya know.

I drove the wife's 73 Chevy Impala 4-door hardtop off and on for a few years. Yes, the huge vault of a trunk could handle some 1/4 scale models and anyone driving anything short of an 18 wheeler yielded the right of way, but that 350 CID engine powered land barge could truly consume mass quantities of gasoline. My Chrysler Town & Country minivan sips on gas compared to that Impala and it has enough storage capacity, thank you. I'll fly nostalgic patternships, but I say no to paying nostalgic fuel bills. Still, it's nice imagining...

Ed Cregger

hook57 10-06-2009 08:14 AM

Ahh Vince and allthe rest, what sweet tales. Having left RC flying (particularly pattern) in pursuit of full scale flying for the past 27 years (except for some RC flights here and there), I never imagined that the "old" style of pattern would ever return. My last great effort was at the 1980 Nats at Wilmington, saw many of those great names fly. The balsa for the Tiger Tail has been ordered, hope to fly it next season as well as visit some of those contests. Your Phoenix' look awesome too. Keep the time machine turning and long live senior pattern.

Mark

crankpin 10-06-2009 09:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Way to go Mark. Maybe the new Phoenix 7 will bring back more old pattern flyer's. I say old, maybe just "seasoned". Working on another P-6, keep us updated on the T-Tail. I just purchased 6" skin's from Balsa USA. I asked for matched sheets, and they are perfect. Good to hear from you. Tom Scott's P-5 in flight. Close up of finished P-6, and a new one being born.

Vince

grcourtney 10-06-2009 09:51 AM

Crank
Thats Don with my p-8. Good looking Pic though

gary

crankpin 10-06-2009 10:45 AM

Hey Gary - My only claim to fame, that P-8 kit came from my hangar. Looks great, you did a nice job.

Crank

hairy46 10-06-2009 11:31 AM

Yes its time to bring old time pattern flying back! Lets make it happen! with this plane and more that will be sure to come, I'm in!

grcourtney 10-06-2009 04:31 PM

yup!! and it flies well also!!!

gary

Tommygun 10-07-2009 06:12 AM

So you think a piped OS .91 FX would be too much engine for this plane?

MMcConville 10-07-2009 08:10 AM

Yes. Probably hard to physically fit too. A piped 60 gives the P7 plenty of power.

RCBruski65 10-08-2009 12:28 PM

When I first got into pattern Harry Roe was one of the elders on the circuit. I used to enjoy seeing Harry at contests and even bought a couple of brushfire kits from him. Those were the good old days.

Tim

grcourtney 10-08-2009 03:21 PM

Jon Lowe has a p-6 with a 91 4c in it. Its a bit heavy up front but pulls well. Gives me the willies when he flies it ,it just sounds wrong!!!

gary

crankpin 10-08-2009 03:27 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: grcourtney

Jon Lowe has a p-6 with a 91 4c in it. Its a bit heavy up front but pulls well. Gives me the willies when he flies it ,
it just sounds wrong!!!
gary

A Phoenix that sounds like my John Deere ? Ouch !:)

pitstop000 10-11-2009 06:44 PM

ORIGINAL: MMcConville

Guys, I'm a little embarrased nothaving RPM figures for the new engine, but I dont trust my memory and will have to get them. I remember thinking it was good when I first ran it and find the power in the P7 is be excellent.

As for the Robart Spring downs, I dont know the answer to the question of them being interchangable with the Spring Airs. Personally, in the day I always ran Southern (Dave Brown) retracts, but today, pnumatics work well and are just easier to install.
Mike, do you have those RPM figures yet. I’m interested in seeing what this motor can do.

maddog 71 10-17-2009 09:25 AM

Im all over this Im not a competition pattern flyer But I just love the way a pattern plane flys Put in a YS 110 and now we have presision I remember when I had a sig comet that I wished I had now It was a great plane!

maddog 71 10-17-2009 09:33 AM

Anybody Know when they will be available

crankpin 10-17-2009 02:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A YS 110 in this Phoenix ? I think you mean a good 61 ?

Crank

cllaurit 10-17-2009 03:36 PM

With a 110 the plane would spin and the prop would stand still.

skyboy500 10-17-2009 08:33 PM

I'm in! What a beauty!

bob27s 10-17-2009 10:15 PM

Keeping my eye on this. [8D][8D]:D

crankpin 10-18-2009 04:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
More Picture's
Crank

rcguy! 10-18-2009 05:31 AM

More Picture's
Crank
More pictures of what? The ARF?

Dave

crankpin 10-18-2009 05:58 AM

Everyone know's this is an ARF. Is there an issue ?

Vince

rcguy! 10-18-2009 07:53 AM

Everyone know's this is an ARF. Is there an issue ?

Vince
Nope. I wasn't sure if it was the ARF or a P7 you built. "More pictures" dosen't offer alot of information.
As far as this being the ARF thread....Post #33 shows what?
Post #86 also shows the ARF? Also states another Phoenix is being built....

Just a bit confused with "More pictures" as to what I'm looking at.

Dave

lfinney 10-18-2009 10:36 PM

love the pics crank!, um cough friends dont let friends use plastic spinners on BPA planes....lol

MMcConville 10-23-2009 01:28 PM

Those are pics of the ARF shot in my workshop.

lfinney 10-23-2009 01:49 PM

love the look, and bet this will sell like crazy, good move by the H9 guys!

BTerry 10-23-2009 03:55 PM

ORIGINAL: lfinney

and bet this will sell like crazy,
I sure hope so! I would LOVE to see it sell so well that we see other options as well.

The time is fast approaching when WE need to put our money where our mouths are! I know of several different cases where manufacturers have developed exactly what WE asked for, only to be stuck with a lot of unsold inventory.

I really hope they sell well. I am leaning towards buying one myself, and hope I am able to do it. The plane simply looks great and will be fun to fly.

Maybe we will finally see some SPA-type events here in the Northwest!

KLXMASTER14 10-23-2009 10:05 PM

ORIGINAL: BTerry

ORIGINAL: lfinney

and bet this will sell like crazy,
Maybe we will finally see some SPA-type events here in the Northwest!
And the southwest as well. And all across the fruited plain...

UltraBob 10-23-2009 10:43 PM

Mike M,

I'm curious. Back when us old guys were flying these types of airplanes we didn't have the luxury of computer radios or even servo reversing switches for that matter.
What mixes, if any, are you using with this airplane to compensate for any coupling issues, and, are you surprised at just how good these airplanes can fly/present given the capabilities of our modern RC systems.

Thanks again for injecting a large dose of enthusiasm to us old pattern fossils.

Bob

hairy46 10-24-2009 03:51 AM

This type of plane was some that I first fell in love with when I opened my first RC mag back in the sixty's! any one heard when we will see them hit the market?

FBaity 10-24-2009 10:05 AM

I'm curious. Back when us old guys were flying these types of airplanes we didn't have the luxury of computer radios or even servo reversing switches for that matter.
What mixes, if any, are you using with this airplane to compensate for any coupling issues, and, are you surprised at just how good these airplanes can fly/present given the capabilities of our modern RC systems.

Thanks again for injecting a large dose of enthusiasm to us old pattern fossils.

Bob
Without mix etc. you had to FLY and hope some trucker with a 1000 watt CP kicker didn't blow you out of the air. Like most modern conveniences, the computer radios of today are taken for granted. Back in the 27 meg days I remember how lucky I felt when my radio link with the aircraft was good enough to bring my pattern plane home in one piece.

Frank Baity
AMA 38026

UltraBob 10-24-2009 11:43 AM

Frank,

I remember those days well. When the six 72mhz frequencies came along we were home free!

If our airplanes had any coupling issues we just "flew" the airplane accordingly to mitigate them. On top of this, what we considered top of the line servos then were a far different animal than the servos available to us today.

I guess what I'm excited about is the opportunity to once again fly these types of airplanes with the radios and technology that, as you said, we take for granted today.

Thanks again to Mike for the chance to fly a P7 again. Can't wait.

Bob

UltraBob 10-24-2009 11:45 AM

Sorry, duplicate post

MarkGrabowski 10-24-2009 01:44 PM

Mike M., just thinking aloud here... will there be separate replacement components available (fuse, stab, etc.) for sale (as per current practice)?

MMcConville 10-24-2009 03:29 PM

The P7 actually flies very true. Back in the day if there were any roll coupling we'd cut the center of the wing and change dihedral till it was dialed, or just live with it.

Just checked my tx (12X) that I'm flying the P7 with. As luck would have it, now we can mix out coupling, the model has no roll couple. I have 0 mix for roll. I do have a few percent of elevator to rudder. Not much, just a few percent to get it perfect.

As for replacement part availability, absolutely. It'll be treated same as all other ARFs.

UltraBob 10-24-2009 07:19 PM

Thanks Mike. This is gonna be fun.

Bob

BERUSTY 10-26-2009 07:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Scoop! NEW E-Flite electric retracts...use for the Phoenix 7 ARF?

I visited the Chicago Hobby Show over the weekend (10/24 & 10/25) and found a number of items of interest.

E-Flite electric retracts...The photo below shows a set of the new E-Flite .15 - .20 size retracts. The units are powered by the receiver battery and feature a nifty fail-safe...if the gear are hung up or stalled for greater than 2.5 seconds they return to the down position (asuming they stall on the way up). The current draw is minimal even in "full stall" and will be $89.95 for the 3-gear set of the small set. The tr-gear set for .40 - .60 size will about $189.95.

I have an original Bridi Tweety Bird NIB, an original K&B .19 NIB that is just screaming for retracts...the E-Flite retracts!

4-Site...no it is not a classic, it is a comment on the reality of global manufacturing. The 4 Site is a teeny tiny "plug and fly" model that is fully 3-D capable (precision is implied) and will be $109.95 with a little battery. For less than $199.95 you will get the charger and the airplane and a few extra goodies...freak'n incredible. The model is goofy cool with a tiny foam lattice to make the fuselage strong.

My boys Chip (7) and Tom (5) went with me to the show...Tom wanted to just take the 4-Site and the little Sukhoi home.

Futaba users can purchase a Spectrum module for their 8, 10 12 and 14MZ transmitters from Futaba or Spectrum.

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba