Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

What is the range of speed for Prop planes

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

What is the range of speed for Prop planes

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 11:02 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the range of speed for Prop planes

The Corsair belongs to Gary and Red Newton in California, piloted by Scott Manning at our USRA and Reedly giant scale races..The glasair at Joe Nall clocked 237 mph...Straightaway speeds of the fastest race planes are between 220 and 240 mph in the experimental and unlimited classes...Engines are up to 302cc and develop around 32 HP..
Next race is August 15-17 in Ashtabula, Ohio....
www.usrainfo.org
You can click on "racing links" on the left hand side of the page, then go to the Luvara race team site..the Corsair is in there on one of the many gallery pages of great race plane pictures....
Old 08-04-2003, 02:07 AM
Mluvara
My Feedback: (10)

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re: 250 Plus

Originally posted by heli001
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the JR team had a Glasair with a DA 200 on alcohol, that clocked in on radar at 267 MPH, at Joe Nall................!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was the loudest damn RC plane I have ever heard, and I really have a hard time believing the pilot had total control of it, but he did. It is just something that you HAD to see, and the pilot is to be commended. Talking about low rates, I doubt the ailerons moved more than an 1/8 of an inch at speed, if that.
I believe that you are talking about Tom Keating's Lancair that was at the Joe Nall. It is powered by an Aerrow 200 motor and is certainly 230-240mph +

Michael
Old 08-04-2003, 04:26 AM
heli001
My Feedback: (5)

Default Aerrow 200

Michael,

Thanks for the corrections....Must have had Glasair on my mind (have always wanted to build one). I was at the lake by the AT-6's when they were running the thing up. We were 100 feet away, and the sound was deafening....! The poor guy that was holding it for the runup, was catching hell....still the loudest engine I have ever herd in an RC aircraft. We walked back to the flightline with the guys, and I thought he said it was a DA 200 on alcohol, sorry if I caused any confusion.
Old 08-07-2003, 12:27 AM
mrjones30

Default R/C Records

Well if anybody wanted to know what the R/C world records are here it is:

http://www.dubai*********.org/rc_world_records.htm
Old 08-07-2003, 12:28 AM
mrjones30

I think they are pretty hard to beat!!!!!
Old 08-07-2003, 02:01 AM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Actually that list is fairly lame and not very well documented.

Try FAI Records for a more comprehensive list.
Old 08-08-2003, 06:19 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

The Aerrow 200is fairly quiet compared to the Herbrandson 289....
Old 08-08-2003, 02:36 PM
Mluvara

Thanks Ralph. forgot he was running a Herby... Knew it wasn't a DA though...

Michael
Old 08-20-2003, 12:13 AM
Mluvara

Default Lancair

Well, my original thought was right. The Lancair that those saw at the Joe Nall was highly modified Aerrow 200. A picture is below.

Michael
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	103050_2243.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	56026  
Old 08-20-2003, 03:18 AM
Aero330LX
My Feedback: (-1)

Default Re: 250 Plus

I saw this plane at the Nall. The speed was 230+ on multiple passes, and the engine was NOT a DA 200. Only 2 DA 200's exist and those were on Chip Hydes Ultimate before and during the TOC. They are now at DA as they are prototypes for a possible future engine that DA may produce at some point in time. I belive the 200 in question was a Lightning Aircraft Engine that was highly modified. I'm not sure of the maker, but I am sure that it was highly modified. Belive me when I tell you that the pilot was in complete control of that plane or he would not have been there in a afternoon demo. That plane and the speeds it put out are the extreme for that class of racing, and it takes a tremendous amount of concentration to do that. Especially in front of a crowd of thousands. It also takes alot of hours of work to get to those speeds and lots and lots of practice. It is something that very few people do well even with lots of practice. The pilot that flew that plane was very good at it. That may not be the fastest Giant Scale Racer, but for the class it runs in, it was very fast. That plane probably pulled 20+ g's when it pulled up after the last lap. I believe that the Unlimited Gold's are around the 240+ range now but that is unlimited, not a sport class racer. Speed is cool, but you have to work your way up to it, if one wants to go 200 that's cool but you better have it together...things don't happen in seconds...if you blink it's over with. I have flown a racer at about 160 and belive me when I tell you that is VERY fast and difficult when you are not used to it. 200 is lightning quick and above that is just insane! LOL
Originally posted by heli001
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the JR team had a Glasair with a DA 200 on alcohol, that clocked in on radar at 267 MPH, at Joe Nall................!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was the loudest damn RC plane I have ever heard, and I really have a hard time believing the pilot had total control of it, but he did. It is just something that you HAD to see, and the pilot is to be commended. Talking about low rates, I doubt the ailerons moved more than an 1/8 of an inch at speed, if that.
Old 08-20-2003, 03:46 AM
Mluvara

The engine was an Aerrow 200. I was out at the Ohio race this past weekend with the pilot (Tom Keating). It turns a very high pitch prop (29 if I recall correctly) and is a Lancair IV which races in the experimental class. The experimental class was formed so that the unlimiteds could stand a chanceamongst themselves withoout the sleek homebuilt aircraft which were dominating the mustangs,etc. Some of the fastest unlimiteds reach 240 with the experimentals consistently that fast. It does take a very well seasoned pilot to fly the aircraft.

Michael
Old 08-20-2003, 03:57 AM
J_R

Default Re: R/C Records

Originally posted by mrjones30
Well if anybody wanted to know what the R/C world records are here it is:

http://www.dubai*********.org/rc_world_records.htm
This site has all world records, model and full scale:

http://www.fai.org/records/

It's updated daily

JR