Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

HOBBY king going down the tube?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

HOBBY king going down the tube?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 07:36 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HOBBY king going down the tube?

Airplanes400,

5 Stars for that one !!

Old 05-17-2012, 09:10 PM
rino
My Feedback: (121)

Nice one 5 stars. I get a little credit for the lead in.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:21 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, thanks for the set-up.

I returned the favor! Thanks. 5 pionts to you too, You just went to 115.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:59 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Airplanes400

HK is far from going down the tubes. I just placed another order with them that totals, $386.53
Three weeks ago, I ordered $406.40 worth of stuff that arrived at my door within 10 days of placing my order. All was well.
I think most folks that order from HK are not too concerned. They feel if anything does happen they have saved so much no big deal. It would be relevant to the size order though. 400 is a decent size order and to lose that would be substantial.

Each of us have our own experiences with HK. Mine has been superb over the past three years with one little small issue although I don't order all that much. Maybe only 800-1000 in that period of time, but each order came quickly considering the distance and all parts worked as described. Nothing for me to complain about really.

People belly-ach about the cheaper HK servos. If I buy them and my plane dumps that is totally my choice and I accept that risk. Just like the Orange receivers - if I use them I accept the risk. I simply don't expect any service from HK at the price range. If they tag on enough for service then I would expect it, but then the savings would not be there for me.

If they can sell some of their parts for the price they do it makes you wonder why dealers over here tack 200% profit margins on them? Now that should be an issue to debate about. I guess that would make US dealers just as bad as HK?
Old 05-18-2012, 06:10 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

I bought a [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9625739/anchors_9625739/mpage_1/key_rufe/anchor/tm.htm#9625739]GWS zero and flight pack[/link] off a USA Vendor via ebay 2 years ago,, this guy http://stores.ebay.com/Toms-RC-Simulator?_rdc=1

After I got the kit it was all beat up and multiple emails were ignored,, I'd have been happy with a $10 refund/credit
I should have checked his feedback more closely,, many others had the same post sale problems
point is,, just because you buy from a USA Vendor doesn't mean you're going to get any great service,, buyer beware
Old 05-18-2012, 07:04 AM
topspin

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

ORIGINAL: Airplanes400

HK is far from going down the tubes. I just placed another order with them that totals, $386.53
Three weeks ago, I ordered $406.40 worth of stuff that arrived at my door within 10 days of placing my order. All was well.
I think most folks that order from HK are not too concerned. They feel if anything does happen they have saved so much no big deal. It would be relevant to the size order though. 400 is a decent size order and to lose that would be substantial.

Each of us have our own experiences with HK. Mine has been superb over the past three years with one little small issue although I don't order all that much. Maybe only 800-1000 in that period of time, but each order came quickly considering the distance and all parts worked as described. Nothing for me to complain about really.

People belly-ach about the cheaper HK servos. If I buy them and my plane dumps that is totally my choice and I accept that risk. Just like the Orange receivers - if I use them I accept the risk. I simply don't expect any service from HK at the price range. If they tag on enough for service then I would expect it, but then the savings would not be there for me.

If they can sell some of their parts for the price they do it makes you wonder why dealers over here tack 200% profit margins on them? Now that should be an issue to debate about. I guess that would make US dealers just as bad as HK?

So what your saying is that you saved so much money that if something happens you can just afford to flush it. I don't know about you but I don't throw money away, I expect to get what I paid for without exception. Anything else is just theft and there seem to be a lot more people complaining about losing money with Hobby King these days. Go check some of the other sites and you'll see what I mean. There is one guy who recieved nothing at all and is being charged double by HK.

The truth is there are now half a dozen discount hobby dealers in the US and several in Hong Kong that are blowing their doors off. it won't be long before the same thing that happened to HK on Ebay will happen to them again.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:29 AM
willysknight

They should at least change thier name to Hobby Ding.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:33 AM
willysknight

Hobby Kink!
Old 05-18-2012, 12:15 PM
Seamus OLeprosy

ORIGINAL: willysknight

Is that the owner?

Old 05-18-2012, 01:00 PM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: willysknight

Quote of the week, Thats so funny. I don't care who you are.
"UPS" maybe "UPSmash". ???
Old 05-18-2012, 11:16 PM
rino
My Feedback: (121)

I kind of agree with buyer beware. I tried out their micro batteries and for a little over 1/10th of the cost of a Thunder Dunder they perform the same. So what if I get a bad one. At a 1.50 they are disposable. A cheeseburger costs more than that.

If you buy planes from them you're probably not an experienced pilot or you don't care much about the quality of your flying. I've been in the hobby for 8 years and know how to properly power and setup a terrific flying bird of almost any type....and you don't get that for $99 at HK

Look, all you have to do is purchase with Visa and or paypal and if they rip you off you have a decent chance filing a claim.

I for one, like the fact that someone finally put the heat on TT, Hyperion and Flight Power lipos. They are all superior to HK lipos but they are so overpriced it's ridiculous. We were getting gouged!!! Everydayflyer (Charles) on RCG has done a ton of very objective and professional-level testing of the different brands and in general HK lipos don't hold for nearly as many cycles. They are also generally heavier for the same C rating. But, at their price point, it's worth it for some flyers. If you are not going to push the pack hard or use it that often who cares. I flew my 50CC Extra on 12s at 5k watts and 112 amps on HK lipos and they did just fine. Would they fast charge at 5C like a Hyperion, no. So I sold them in great condition and bought Hyperion. I would never spend that much on HK stuff again but we live and learn don't we. I see the value in a better, lighter, faster charging packs that I can run hard without puffing. Others don't feel it's worth it. Personal choice.

You just have to do your homework and know what you want. If you can't tell that a Banana, Nitro or HK aircraft is just a step above an Air Hog you just need a few more years and crashes under your belt.

Again, just do your homework and you will be fine in the end. It's not much different than checking Consumer Reports before you buy that new expensive appliance.

COMPETITION ROCKS!! HK is not a criminal organization, lol...
Old 05-19-2012, 12:43 AM
trax de max

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends on how you define theft.
Buying something cheap, you know it's either broke or is going to break soon. Maybe it'll last, it's a gamble to take. Some you win some you lose.
Or buying something more expensive you know isn't broke, Will last a long time. But the store selling that part knows this, then adds a *300% mark up on the price.
I know for some parts i'll pay the extra, but for other parts i'll take the gamble.

* just a number could be anything.

Nobody likes wasting money, espeicially me. But sometimes the risks pay off. I bought a drill from ebay because i wanted the motor, sold the charger and carry case and made more selling that off than what i bought the complete package for, works a treat. Free motor and made a few pound on top. But i knew it could of went terribly wrong as i didn't even know if the the drill had the motor i needed, or even worked.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:57 AM
GlennZ

I bought my first and last item from Hobby king. I bought an ignition module for my 43cc engine. I found one on their website where the connector in the picture was identical to the one I'm replacing so I ordered it. The one that showed up was nothing like the one in the picture. It had a futaba style connector. I emailed them to find out the pin-outs so I could make a connector but they just kept asking for a picture of what I received. I did not send a picture but explained that it had a Futaba style connector. The next email they wanted a link to what I ordered then one they recommended to me. I sent a link to the one I ordered that had a picture of the connector I needed and then again explained that the one they sent had the Futaba connector and I included the model on the box which is XYZ made in china. They again sent me an email wanting a picture of what I got. I since found the pinout posted by other angry Hobby King customers but now I find plug connector won't fit over my spark plug. The one I ordered said it was for a 50cc engine. I bet the one the sent me goes on a smaller engine with a smaller plug.

Sadly I'm not wealthy enough to buy a DA 50 and cut out the aggravation of buying crap from China. So I could be flying today instead of spending my weekend posting crabby posts.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:17 AM
topspin

I'm afraid it has gotten to the point where for every lucky buyer who gets what they ordered without problems there is one who does not get their order or has a problem or multiple problems with their order. It is that lack of consistanly good follow through that is slowly killing them. I personally think anyone who is thinking of ordering from them would be better off shopping around. There are a lot of places that have exactly what they have, and more in some cases for as good as or better prices. I also have not seen any where near the level of complaints for any other business.

Oh yeh, they are definetly on their way out.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:01 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

more unfounded over exaggeration,, how do you know how many good vs. bad experiences their customers have
Old 05-19-2012, 12:39 PM
eddieC

more unfounded over exaggeration,, how do you know how many good vs. bad experiences their customers have 
Of the folks I know locally who've ordered from HK, their rate of orders being substandard is very high. These folks know & accept it due to the low prices. They know enough not to invest more than they care to lose. Not my approach, as long as they don't carry on & on about the 'great deals' they get, like a bunch of religious zealots. 
Old 05-19-2012, 01:09 PM
Seamus OLeprosy

ORIGINAL: eddieC

Of the folks I know locally who've ordered from HK, their rate of orders being substandard is very high. These folks know&accept it due to the low prices. They know enough not to invest more than they care to lose. Not my approach, as long as they don't carry on & onabout the 'great deals' they get, like a bunch ofreligious zealots.
It sounds like you are zealously expressing your contradictory religious opinions :-)

Old 05-19-2012, 01:49 PM
eddieC

It sounds like you are zealously expressing your contradictory religious opinions :-)
Rats!  My sad attempt at sublety has been revealed! 
Old 05-19-2012, 06:37 PM
topspin

ORIGINAL: eddieC

Rats! My sad attempt at sublety has been revealed!

Let me help you clarify. They are goin down Jack, swirlin down the gravity well of customer disillusionment and discontent. Oh Yeah.........
Old 05-19-2012, 09:33 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

Scale, you were really just joking with that post. Weren't you? You really aren't defending HK (Hobby King). If you are serious, you must have some vested interest.

Wake up man, read the writing on the wall.

With all the shills they have on RCU, HK is fighting hard to stay alive. They must be depending on new comers to the hobby that don't know the history of HK to stay in business. I see in the posts here and on other forums of all the people that have had problems with HK and state that they too have bought from HK for the last time. If it weren't for the shills, even the new comers wouldn't be spending their money with HK.

HK's slogan toward their customer = Had Kash Customers problem after the purchase = Has my Kash
Customers problem after delivery = Have Krap !!!

Old 05-20-2012, 04:59 AM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

As long as there are people out there, who are willing to accept, even defend, taking a risk on getting poor quality, poor service, slow shipping, no returns, and outright rip-offs, as being a part of normal business, Hobby King will survive just fiine. Evidently there are plenty of Rubes out there to fill their coffers.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:36 AM
[email protected]

NEVER BUY ANY THING FROM HOBBY KING THAT YOU HAVE TO SEND BACK FOR REPAIRS TOOK ME 6 MONTHS TO GET MY ENGINE BACK
Old 05-20-2012, 06:43 AM
[email protected]

took me 6 months to get my engine back from hobby king no more will i buy from them i just might see this one
Old 05-20-2012, 08:15 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

NEVER BUY ANY THING FROM HOBBY KING THAT YOU HAVE TO SEND BACK FOR REPAIRS TOOK ME 6 MONTHS TO GET MY ENGINE BACK

[] These are the kinds of posts that I'm really sad to see , , , waiting 6 months for warranty work is completely unacceptable . Now , if this was a one time "oops" , well ok , anyone can have a bad day , , , ,

but it seems that I read more of these posts regarding HK than of ALL the other RC suppliers COMBINED ! ........
Old 05-20-2012, 05:33 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wouldn't it be nice to see an actual picture of the building that Holy Krap is actually in. I wonder what it would really look like. A shabby warehouse at the docks, or a UPS mail drop? Maybe an executive suite in an office building?

Frank

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.