Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Virus warning

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 04:52 PM
dmoody19
My Feedback: (24)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Virus warning

Hi again,
 I need to make one last statement on this problem and the issue of AVG versus the antivirus programs that missed this issue. I switched to AVG several years ago because they had an offer. Compare AVG with your normal software (targeting Norton / Semantics and McAfee along with other big guys). AVG constantly found flaws, virus's and misc malicious software that the other guys constantly missed. Many times with those big guys claiming "It's just a false positive from the little guy AVG"...With both of the big guys I had lost systems due to their constant missing basic virus issues etc. Since I started with AVG They have NEVER missed a single issue. So.... when they tell me that the issue is with this site you need to understand that it really IS with this site. The fact that you never got a warning doesn't mean it is not there it means that your software is substandard and missed it. This should worry you a lot. Just because they pay more for advertising does not mean they are the best or even average in detection not to mention the way they slow your system down....
RCUNIVERSE.. please, just fix this. If you continue to ignore people that come here these guys are correct. Your site will go by the wayside like so many others that thought they were too big to fail... I hope you fix it because I love coming here to trade or buy items.
Dave
Old 09-08-2012, 07:34 PM
bob62
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I am dumb when it comes to computers. Why is it you can get on the forum page but not on the buy and sale site when it is all the same program.

Bob
Old 09-08-2012, 08:28 PM
KaP2011
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got the same problem, I can get to the forum but not to the buy/sell page or my club site, I can't even get to my own models page. I agree with dmoody19, I really like RCU but it is getting very frustrateing and I refuse to change my anti virus program.

I wonder if there is any truth that RCU is under attack from another site or that they really just don't care if they loose a few members and don't want to expend the recources to fix the problem.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:30 PM
KaP2011

I guess I spoke too soon, I was able to get to all three of the above mentioned links right after I posted. I hope it lasts
Old 09-08-2012, 08:38 PM
bob62

Glad for you
Old 09-09-2012, 06:18 AM
KaP2011

This morning I realized my AVG 2012 license had expired. That was why I was able to get to the whole RCU site last night. I just purchased a new license and upgraded to AVG 2013 and found 7 copies of the HTML/Framer virus in my temporary internet folder. Now everything is back to normal, that is, I'm getting warnings on nearly every RCU link I click on.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:53 PM
larry@coyotenet
My Feedback: (21)

Already mentioned.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:41 PM
geoardsog5
My Feedback: (31)

Today, RCU is working for me.Sometimes it works and then it is blocked. I can't detect a pattern to all this.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:49 PM
bob62

I can know get in and view but it seems to show a virus every time but AVG is not blocking me from getting in to view.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:14 PM
KaP2011

I am seeing a definate improvement. I have been able to get to all links without any warnings. If this is due to RCU programers, Thank you.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:46 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

I'm glad it is working better for some but as far as for myself I had to dump AVG and get another program to be able to get in.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:42 AM
KaP2011

ORIGINAL: Cyberwolf

I'm glad it is working better for some but as far as for myself I had to dump AVG and get another program to be able to get in.
You should not have to "dump" your AVG anti virus program to get into RCU. You may need to update AVG. I have the paid version of AVG 2013 and it is working fine now. Before it worked properly though I had to do a complete computer scan to clean my computer of all the junk that came from RCU before I upgraded my AVG. All is working well now.
As has been said before, if an anti-virus program was missing the problem then the program may not be up to snuff.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:18 PM
Harlan
My Feedback: (107)

As of sometime Thursday, it appears that I can get anyplace on RCU without being warned of a virus by AVG. I know AVG was working on this, but they couldn't have done anything about it if the RCU management hadn't taken our comments seriously. so, I think kudos have been earned by the RCU management for getting things squared away, and AVG deserves credit for pointing out the problems. The guys who hung in there with both RCU and AVG should be congratulated for not giving in to the temptation to change websites and anti-virus programs. You made the right decision.

Harlan

Now let's all knock on wood.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:02 AM
Bill G

ORIGINAL: Harlan

As of sometime Thursday, it appears that I can get anyplace on RCU without being warned of a virus by AVG. I know AVG was working on this, but they couldn't have done anything about it if the RCU management hadn't taken our comments seriously. so, I think kudos have been earned by the RCU management for getting things squared away, and AVG deserves credit for pointing out the problems. The guys who hung in there with both RCU and AVG should be congratulated for not giving in to the temptation to change websites and anti-virus programs. You made the right decision.

Harlan

Now let's all knock on wood.
That's great news. They do deserve a hand here for standing up and taking care of things. These problems are also reported to be happening at another major rc forum, but they tend to not acknowledge issues brought up by members. The guy who started the thread with the Bert and Ernie comments would have probably been canned there. Good to see that they took care of the issues here, rather than taking it out on him, which is a better way to solve problems.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:16 PM
geoardsog5
My Feedback: (31)

RCU has been working fine for me, for the last 4 days, happy days are here again!.