Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Should I get a pilots license?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Should I get a pilots license?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 05:43 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: Should I get a pilots license?

ORIGINAL: t-max97
I know why I see adults that work in jobs they don't like, it's that or don't feed your family and don't pay the bills, I know my dad is one of them, he has a great job and makes nearly 100k without a college education but he typically doesn't enjoy his job at all. ... Nothing lazy about not wanting to work in a job you hate your whole life just to die later, think about it...when your laying on your death bed are you gonna look back at your life and think how great all those countless hours spent working a job you hate where? I don't think so. I realize some people end up in a situation where they don't have much of a choice for a career but they typically put themselves in that situation. Like I said I'm done with this thread, thanks to everyone I know everybody is just trying to help.
This, along with the video link you posted, is exactly the kind of thinking that 15 year olds do that gets them stuck in jobs that they hate. Your dad sounds like a solid guy. You might try listening to him a bit more instead of criticizing how he lives his life. Because he makes the sacrifice of getting up early to do something he doesn't enjoy you get to have money to pursue your interests. Maybe he pursues some of his own as well, or at least plans to after you're on your own. The time is coming soon when you have to grow up, which means not putting your own desires first. You will, at that point, have two choices: do what you enjoy doing and be poor or do things that you don't want to do and make some money. Sure, there is the very rare person who doesn't what they truly love to do and enjoy a lot of what their job requires of them and also makes good money at it. That's maybe 1 out of 500 people. Us normal folks step into careers that we have a knack for and have the opportunities to do and we work through the unpleasantries of it in order to have money to do what we need to do. Until you figure that out you won't accomplish much of anything. Even getting that pilot's license isn't going to happen, because there are parts of that process that aren't any fun too.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:15 AM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

I know why I see adults that work in jobs they don't like, it's that or don't feed your family and don't pay the bills, I know my dad is one of them, he has a great job and makes nearly 100k without a college education but he typically doesn't enjoy his job at all. ... Nothing lazy about not wanting to work in a job you hate your whole life just to die later, think about it...when your laying on your death bed are you gonna look back at your life and think how great all those countless hours spent working a job you hate where? I don't think so. I realize some people end up in a situation where they don't have much of a choice for a career but they typically put themselves in that situation. Like I said I'm done with this thread, thanks to everyone I know everybody is just trying to help.
This, along with the video link you posted, is exactly the kind of thinking that 15 year olds do that gets them stuck in jobs that they hate. Your dad sounds like a solid guy. You might try listening to him a bit more instead of criticizing how he lives his life. Because he makes the sacrifice of getting up early to do something he doesn't enjoy you get to have money to pursue your interests. Maybe he pursues some of his own as well, or at least plans to after you're on your own. The time is coming soon when you have to grow up, which means not putting your own desires first. You will, at that point, have two choices: do what you enjoy doing and be poor or do things that you don't want to do and make some money. Sure, there is the very rare person who doesn't what they truly love to do and enjoy a lot of what their job requires of them and also makes good money at it. That's maybe 1 out of 500 people. Us normal folks step into careers that we have a knack for and have the opportunities to do and we work through the unpleasantries of it in order to have money to do what we need to do. Until you figure that out you won't accomplish much of anything. Even getting that pilot's license isn't going to happen, because there are parts of that process that aren't any fun too.
My dad tells me you choose a job I will enjoy and not waste my life doing something I hate as you suggest. I'm not criticizing my dad's life, please tell me how you came up with that one? He chose to have kids and he chose his job and he chose his life style, Your mentality of the only way to make money is to work in a job you hate is ridiculous, when I say "a job I will enjoy" I don't mean something that's going to be a party everyday, I mean something that's related to my interests and something I won't dread going to everyday. Like the video said, "if you go on doing something you hate to make money so can go on doing something you hate then you have completely wasted your time". You only get one shot at life, why would you spend most of it in a job you hate just because you might make a little more money? Just because YOU spent your life in a job you hate and was not successful enough to do otherwise doesn't mean I can't, "he who says he can and he who says he can't are both normally right". To me it sounds like your a retired man who worked in a job he disliked his whole life for the money and is trying to defend his life style. And another thing, if what I want to do means going to college then I will. Your statement on me not getting the pilot's license because some of it is not fun is another completely ridiculous statement about someone you don't know AT ALL, would you like me to message you everyone I know's phone number so you can call and ask If I'm the lazy, only does something that benefits him kind of person you assume for some reason? Because I assure you, you will get far different answers.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:34 AM
t-max97

ORIGINAL: Charlie P.

Well gosh. I'm glad I can take life lessons from a 15 year old.

Sometimes work is what they pay you to do because it's not fun. There used to be a name for folks who did what they liked all day: ''bums.'' A hobo was someone who would at least work when he could find it.

You want hard work? Decide which of two good employees you have to let go because of budget cuts. Decide whose water gets shut off because they haven't paid the last three bills. Decide who loses their home for non-payment of taxes. Life is full of ugliness. I've been laid off three times. Sometimes you take a job to meet the mortgage and keep groceries on the table whether it's fun or not; even if it pays half of what you had been earning.

It's true that money won't buy happiness. But it sure gives you options. And nothing is better than having options - especially pleasant ones.

I understand all that. I realize sometimes you have to take a job to pay the bills that you don't want but guess what?? I don't have a mortgage, I don't have bills, I don't have kids, I can pursue whatever career I want. For some reason you and jester don't realize Im not talking about just doing whatever I want all day, obviously you can't do that, what I'm talking about is pursuing a career in something I'm interested in, not just taking any job that pays the best. As in me yeah me believe in or not waking up in the morning 5 days a week and going to a job, not exactly being a "bum".
Old 06-04-2013, 09:41 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No worries. Lots of places are glad to hire you for less than 8-5/M-F. That way they don't have to pay your benefits.

Go for it. Invent a better alternative to the Internet or telephones and you'll be all set. Write down all your good ideas now while you are 15 and still know everything.

You should definately be thinking about careers. Go visit some FBOs and ask what qualities and qualifications they look for in aircraft mechanics if that is where your heart takes you.

I don't have a mortgage, I don't have bills, I don't have kids . ..
Really? And you're 15? I would never have imagined that.Heck, when I was your age I was 25.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:05 AM
t-max97

No worries. Lots of places are glad to hire you for less than 8-5/M-F. That way they don't have to pay your benefits.

Go for it. Invent a better alternative to the Internet or telephones and you'll be all set. Write down all your good ideas now while you are 15 and still know everything.

You should definately be thinking about careers. Go visit some FBOs and ask what qualities and qualifications they look for in aircraft mechanics if that is where your heart takes you.

I don't have a mortgage, I don't have bills, I don't have kids . . .
Really? And you're 15? I would never have imagined that. Heck, when I was your age I was 25.
Wow you have a thick skull, you still do not understand what i'm saying at all. Im not trying to get out of working, I'm not saying I'm going get a job that doesn't exist where ill have fun 24/7, Now read carefully before you post something else, all I'm saying is I'm going to pursue a career involving something I'm interested in, something that I wont hate to go to, Is that not everyone's goal?
Old 06-04-2013, 10:11 AM
t-max97

I don't have a mortgage, I don't have bills, I don't have kids . . .
Really? And you're 15? I would never have imagined that. Heck, when I was your age I was 25.
Then what was the point in writing this below? I already said I know that sometimes you don't have a choice for a job but my point in writing the above was I do have a choice, there's no bills, kids ect holding be back from what I want except myself.

I've been laid off three times. Sometimes you take a job to meet the mortgage and keep groceries on the table whether it's fun or not; even if it pays half of what you had been earning.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:07 PM
Charlie P.

Yep. I'm pretty dense. But I get it:you're free as a bird. No yoke of responsibility. No debt.

No marketable skills and 10,000,000 other folks like you in the U.S. competing for entry-level jobs each year. 3,000,000 of them won't get afull-time job

I haven't figured out a way to get free room and board currently. I bet you have. And you should certainlty get your pilot's license while it's on Dad's dime.

It will not get easier later.

My signature is on 720 paychecks every two weeks and you're blowing free advise from someone who has taught accounting and economics as well as applied it in private and public corporations. I've also been a cost accountant and I'm pretty good at making informed decisions on break even points.

Create a career. Do what you love. But what have you done so far thatgives you a database of loved jobs to base yourdecision on?

My job is an adventure every day and very satisfying (city comptroller).I make enough money to even keep a small hobby farm solvent. Without college? Probably not. You don't have to go to a $35,000 a year college.Take math and get an A.S. degreein whatever discipline ata community college and it will apply to a whole score of possible jobs.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:01 PM
t-max97

Yep. I'm pretty dense. But I get it: you're free as a bird. No yoke of responsibility. No debt.

No marketable skills and 10,000,000 other folks like you in the U.S. competing for entry-level jobs each year. 3,000,000 of them won't get a full-time job

I haven't figured out a way to get free room and board currently. I bet you have. And you should certainlty get your pilot's license while it's on Dad's dime.

It will not get easier later.

My signature is on 720 paychecks every two weeks and you're blowing free advise from someone who has taught accounting and economics as well as applied it in private and public corporations. I've also been a cost accountant and I'm pretty good at making informed decisions on break even points.

Create a career. Do what you love. But what have you done so far that gives you a database of loved jobs to base your decision on?

My job is an adventure every day and very satisfying (city comptroller). I make enough money to even keep a small hobby farm solvent. Without college? Probably not. You don't have to go to a $35,000 a year college. Take math and get an A.S. degree in whatever discipline at a community college and it will apply to a whole score of possible jobs.
You still do not get it, read carefully it's not that complicated, I have never implied that I wasn't going to work, that I wasn't going to have a JOB. Please, I'm not blowing free advice so far all you have done is argue about something you have taken completely wrong. I'm 100% planning on having a job that I have to go to at least 5 days a week, what don't you understand about that? I never implied that somehow I was going to make money doing nothing, that obviously doesn't work. Let me start over and maybe you will get it, I WANT a JOB, I WANT to EARN money, I don't want to do that doing something I hate because there's no point, I WANT a JOB In a field i'm interested in, something I won't hate but that doesn't mean I expect to do whatever I want a have fun all day and if that means going to college then so be it. Now go ahead and turn that into an argument and tell me I'm wrong somehow.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:04 PM
Charlie P.

I'm done wasting my keystrokes.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:09 PM
t-max97

accidental post.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:20 PM
t-max97

Couldn't turn it into an argument huh? lol
Old 06-04-2013, 08:47 PM
cfircav8r
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You seem to like airplanes. Look into the Georgia Air National Guard. They fly C-130's and you can get a full time federal employee (not military during the week) job with all the benefits and great pay. They will train you, help pay for any additional schooling you may want to get, including flight training, and you only have to go 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks a year. The Guard is not like active duty, you get to have a real life and you have options that don't come along in civilian companies. Pick the right job when you join and you can get on with an airline fairly easily, and if you wish to be a pilot they get many of their pilots from the enlisted ranks and again they will train you. Our unit hired on average two a year.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:09 PM
Rob2160

I'm 15 (16 in a couple weeks) and thinking about trying to get a private pilot's license. I want to get one because I think it would be awesome to just hop in a plane and go fly when and wherever you want, I think just flying in general would be awesome. It would be awesome to eventually own a plane and after some research it doesn't look like it has to be as expensive as you would think. The obvious downside is it cost's alot to get your license (probably around $7,000) and how often would I really use it? On the other hand you only live once and why would you not do something you want to do just because of money if you can? Two of my great granddads where pilots, one even built his own plane and one was an aircraft mechanic, so it's kind in my blood lol. Any input?
Hey T-max, enjoyed reading your post.. perhaps I can give you my background and it will help you decide... I learned to fly at 16, owned a plane at 23... but I'll get to that shortly...

The most relevant thing in your post is 'YOUONLYLIVEONCE" I couldn't agree more.. if you want something.. this is the life to get it.. you don't get second chances and life is not a trial experience.. it is the real thing... If you want it GOFORIT....

Now I will give you my background so perhaps you can proceed more wisely than I did.. ...

I loved aircraft ever since I was a small boy (Born in 1964 and now 48 years old)

At 14 I got into RC aircraft and have been in the hobby ever since..

at 16 I started real flying lessons, in a Cessna 150 and obtained my Private license

I needed a steady income to pay for flying lessons so joined the State Police Force at age 20...

Finished my Commercial Licence at age 21.. became an instructor at age 22, instrument rating at age 23 - all self funded...

I stayed with the Police Force for 23 years, the last 13 with the Aviation Unit as a Fixed Wing Pilot initially, crew trainer and later Rotary pilot for a few years..

At 23 I was offered an aircraft and bought a Robin 2160 which I put online with a local flying school.. it was cool having my own aircraft at 23 and even flying it regularly as an instructor

(The whole time I was still in the Police Force - instructing on my free days.)

In 1987 I paid $85,000 for the Robin.. sold it in 2002 for $65,000 - It was a great experience... however.. in hindsight.. in 1987 I could have bought a 3 bedroom house for $85,000 and it wouild be worth almost a million $ today.. so perhaps that is one thing I would change if I could do it again....

Property appreciates, planes depreciate.. (Mum told me this when I was 23 but I didn't care.. I answered her with, yeah but you can't fly a house....) LOL.. the foolishness of youth...

But anyway.. 5 years ago I left the Police and became a corporate pilot and currently travel the world, I am presently in the Maldives and Europe tomorrow... The Back to Australia the following week..

As for College.. I never went.. and now have a better salary than all my school mates who went to college.. so you are 100% correct in your conclusion.. don't go to college unless your final occupation requires it..

Just another word of advice.. it costs money to get your pilot licence, but if you only have a private licence it will cost money to maintain it.. Most people don't factor that into the decision process.

In Australia you have to do 3 take offs and 3 landings every 90 days by law, but most schools will require that every 60 days and some every 30 for their insurance before you can hire an aicraft from them..

Flying just one hour per month is a financial committment you should be aware of to maintain your licence. If you become commerical, then others pay you to fly and that is much easier....

Hope that helps and goodl luck.. you have your life ahead of you so chase all your dreams and goals and don't have regrets when you get older..

For many years I was in the Police and working patrol cars, we worked with different people every day, and 90% of the men I worked with had dreamed of being a pilot but never had the motivation to take action to make it happen.. Many used the excuse that they "got married" "had kids" or "had to get a Mortgage"

In truth they made those choices... If you want to fly... Go for it!.

PS.. just read the post above mine.. yeah you guys are SO lucky having the National Guard.. sounds like a perfect option to learn to fly..

Old 06-05-2013, 12:53 AM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: rgburrill

"I want to be a pilot but I don't like school".
"I want tofly planes and own my ownbut I don't want a job that can pay for it.."
"I want to have fun all my life and not get stuck working."

That about sum it up? Ah, the blind enthusiasm of youth.
98% of readers would agree with you.. the other 2% are probably pilots.

Blind enthusiasm is usually how most people achieve their dreams..

Ignore all the criticism and keep focussed on what you want in life, regardless of how many people tell you its ridiculous...

I was a young son of a factory worker....

I dreamed to become a policeman..

Mum Told me I was not suited to being a Police Officer..

I did join and lasted 23 years, ending up as a Sergeant, Helicopter Pilot and Air Crash Investigator..

I dreamed to become a pilot.. virtually all my friends at school said it was impossible..

I did it anyway.. Now USA and Australian ATP Jet ratings and fly a large corporate jet internationally for a living.

I am a pilot and I hated school

He didn't actually say he doesnt want a job.. just that owning a plane would be cool... yes.. I did that too.. it was cool.

I want to have fun all my life too, so I chose jobs that I considered fun.. I'm 48 and still having fun..

I want to spend my last day on earth with a head full of happy memories, not a bank account full of unspent dollars.

Don't criticise the boy for having a dream....

Old 06-05-2013, 07:02 AM
t-max97

ORIGINAL: cfircav8r

You seem to like airplanes. Look into the Georgia Air National Guard. They fly C-130's and you can get a full time federal employee (not military during the week) job with all the benefits and great pay. They will train you, help pay for any additional schooling you may want to get, including flight training, and you only have to go 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks a year. The Guard is not like active duty, you get to have a real life and you have options that don't come along in civilian companies. Pick the right job when you join and you can get on with an airline fairly easily, and if you wish to be a pilot they get many of their pilots from the enlisted ranks and again they will train you. Our unit hired on average two a year.
Thanks for actually helping! That sounds very interesting, I'll look into it.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:05 AM
t-max97

ORIGINAL: Rob2160

I'm 15 (16 in a couple weeks) and thinking about trying to get a private pilot's license. I want to get one because I think it would be awesome to just hop in a plane and go fly when and wherever you want, I think just flying in general would be awesome. It would be awesome to eventually own a plane and after some research it doesn't look like it has to be as expensive as you would think. The obvious downside is it cost's alot to get your license (probably around $7,000) and how often would I really use it? On the other hand you only live once and why would you not do something you want to do just because of money if you can? Two of my great granddads where pilots, one even built his own plane and one was an aircraft mechanic, so it's kind in my blood lol. Any input?
Hey T-max, enjoyed reading your post.. perhaps I can give you my background and it will help you decide... I learned to fly at 16, owned a plane at 23... but I'll get to that shortly...

The most relevant thing in your post is 'YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE'' I couldn't agree more.. if you want something.. this is the life to get it.. you don't get second chances and life is not a trial experience.. it is the real thing... If you want it GO FOR IT....

Now I will give you my background so perhaps you can proceed more wisely than I did.. ...

I loved aircraft ever since I was a small boy (Born in 1964 and now 48 years old)

At 14 I got into RC aircraft and have been in the hobby ever since..

at 16 I started real flying lessons, in a Cessna 150 and obtained my Private license

I needed a steady income to pay for flying lessons so joined the State Police Force at age 20...

Finished my Commercial Licence at age 21.. became an instructor at age 22, instrument rating at age 23 - all self funded...

I stayed with the Police Force for 23 years, the last 13 with the Aviation Unit as a Fixed Wing Pilot initially, crew trainer and later Rotary pilot for a few years..

At 23 I was offered an aircraft and bought a Robin 2160 which I put online with a local flying school.. it was cool having my own aircraft at 23 and even flying it regularly as an instructor

(The whole time I was still in the Police Force - instructing on my free days.)

In 1987 I paid $85,000 for the Robin.. sold it in 2002 for $65,000 - It was a great experience... however.. in hindsight.. in 1987 I could have bought a 3 bedroom house for $85,000 and it wouild be worth almost a million $ today.. so perhaps that is one thing I would change if I could do it again....

Property appreciates, planes depreciate.. (Mum told me this when I was 23 but I didn't care.. I answered her with, yeah but you can't fly a house....) LOL.. the foolishness of youth...

But anyway.. 5 years ago I left the Police and became a corporate pilot and currently travel the world, I am presently in the Maldives and Europe tomorrow... The Back to Australia the following week..

As for College.. I never went.. and now have a better salary than all my school mates who went to college.. so you are 100% correct in your conclusion.. don't go to college unless your final occupation requires it..

Just another word of advice.. it costs money to get your pilot licence, but if you only have a private licence it will cost money to maintain it.. Most people don't factor that into the decision process.

In Australia you have to do 3 take offs and 3 landings every 90 days by law, but most schools will require that every 60 days and some every 30 for their insurance before you can hire an aicraft from them..

Flying just one hour per month is a financial committment you should be aware of to maintain your licence. If you become commerical, then others pay you to fly and that is much easier....

Hope that helps and goodl luck.. you have your life ahead of you so chase all your dreams and goals and don't have regrets when you get older..

For many years I was in the Police and working patrol cars, we worked with different people every day, and 90% of the men I worked with had dreamed of being a pilot but never had the motivation to take action to make it happen.. Many used the excuse that they ''got married'' ''had kids'' or ''had to get a Mortgage''

In truth they made those choices... If you want to fly... Go for it!.

PS.. just read the post above mine.. yeah you guys are SO lucky having the National Guard.. sounds like a perfect option to learn to fly..

Woah woah woah, you mean to tell me you got a job that pays great and you enjoy it? I was told that wasn't possible. Lol thanks for the great reply!
Old 06-05-2013, 07:07 AM
t-max97

ORIGINAL: Rob2160

ORIGINAL: rgburrill

''I want to be a pilot but I don't like school''.
''I want to fly planes and own my own but I don't want a job that can pay for it..''
''I want to have fun all my life and not get stuck working.''

That about sum it up? Ah, the blind enthusiasm of youth.
98% of readers would agree with you.. the other 2% are probably pilots.

Blind enthusiasm is usually how most people achieve their dreams..

Ignore all the criticism and keep focussed on what you want in life, regardless of how many people tell you its ridiculous...

I was a young son of a factory worker....

I dreamed to become a policeman..

Mum Told me I was not suited to being a Police Officer..

I did join and lasted 23 years, ending up as a Sergeant, Helicopter Pilot and Air Crash Investigator..

I dreamed to become a pilot.. virtually all my friends at school said it was impossible..

I did it anyway.. Now USA and Australian ATP Jet ratings and fly a large corporate jet internationally for a living.

I am a pilot and I hated school

He didn't actually say he doesnt want a job.. just that owning a plane would be cool... yes.. I did that too.. it was cool.

I want to have fun all my life too, so I chose jobs that I considered fun.. I'm 48 and still having fun..

I want to spend my last day on earth with a head full of happy memories, not a bank account full of unspent dollars.

Don't criticise the boy for having a dream....

Exactly!
Old 06-05-2013, 08:28 AM
pitts150hp

yes got mine at 17 and has opened up lots of windows of opppertunitys and left a lot of losers in the wind. Today I fly a full size pitts and models .THE MORE YOU LEARN THE MORE YOU EARN AND CAN SAVE WITH YOUR SKILLS .. DO IT YOU WILL NOT BE SORRY AT ANYTIME IN YOUR LIFE
Old 06-05-2013, 12:55 PM
DISCUS54
My Feedback: (211)

Pud Knockers do a lot of talking. I was curious if you have flown an airplane and are basing your desire to get the license on that experience or if it was based on a general interest in aviation. I earned my license when I was 15 and it was one of the most important accomplishments that I have made in life. There have been some comments in the thread about getting a paying job first, others about doing what you want to do first, and some even stating that if you do what you love, then you will never work a day in your life...these are all very, very, valid points. I would just add that a JOB is what puts food on the table and a CAREER is the set of GOALS that you need to establish for yourself so that YOU do not end up working a JOB instead of enjoying a CAREER. I came from a family that had no money for flight lessons yet I enjoy...perhaps love...my career with a major airline...that was my goal, it may not be yours. What matters is that you set goals...earning your Pilot License sounds like a GOAL. Don't listen to the naysayers or static, always stay persistent, FOCUS...it is okay to take a two steps back if it leads to three steps forward, and the reward will be yours to enjoy in so many ways. Yes, there will be setbacks and it will be your CHOICE to continue on...no one can do this for you, not your parents, girlfriend or government...only you. I don't recall the exact phraseology, but the lovely Poncho Barnes summed it up quite well....You got your Pilots and you got your Pud Knockers....so which are you, a Pilot or a Pud Knocker?
Old 06-05-2013, 01:42 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Flying is a passion. Once you have that passion to fly, you will never let it go, until you satisfy it.

Take it from this retired Corporate Pilot. I had the passion at one time, but after thousands & thousands of flying hours, plus trying daily to make " Rich A.. Holes" happy, I lost the passion and retired.

Personally speaking and once again I will say PERSOALLY, as I do not desire to have other members come down on me for what I am about to say, but only having a " Private Pilots License ", only gives you a license to go out and legally kill yourself. If it was myself and thinking of getting a Private License, I would also think about backing it up with an " Instrument Rating ". Then and only then would I say that you would be safe in the cockpit.

I did not read all the other postings, but I did read some statements about getting an education first and then a good job. I only got my ratings after spending 4 years in the United States Air Force and being employed by the General Electric company. I had the GI Bill paying for 90% of my ratings and only after getting my ratings did I leave GE and pursue a career in aviation.

If you are really that hung up on flying, then I would also look into some colleges that offer a degree in aviation. My last Co-Pilot who is also my best friend has a 4 year degree in aviation.

Basically all that I can say is good luck in which ever road you choose to travel .................
Old 06-05-2013, 04:13 PM
ExFokkerFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Having gone to a four year aviation college, I would advise against it. You can get a degree and your ratings a heck of a lot cheaper separately especially if you do some time at a Jr College. In the end I didn't learn anything really at that school that I couldn't have learned on my own, aviation wise. But that's just my opinion.

Tom M
Old 06-05-2013, 04:39 PM
t-max97

Thanks for posting helpful replies everyone, as of now I still don't know what I'm going to do, I think I'll wait a while and see if I'm still interested later. The point of this thread was to have people with pilots licenses post pro's and cons of having a pilots license, not to get advice on what to do with the rest of my life and stress me out, so I would appreciate if this thread was left to die now before something else starts lol.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:47 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Back to post 2
Young Eagles then follow the link to Sportys.

This is the path my 9yr old daughter has chosen. I won't bore you with more details, you seem like you should be able to figure out how to catch the easy train with those two hints.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:25 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

You know what? After reading the thread and seeing all the responses, I think the OP should go ahead and get his pilot's license. That's assuming a few things are true:
1. Your family is ok with spending the money it will cost since you don't have the income to pay for it yourself. That assumes they'll also still be able to provide other things you'll need.
2. The cost won't put you into a bind 3 years from now when it's time to start your adult life. Whether you go to college or start working, it costs money to get out of your parents' house.
3. You actually do want to be gainfully employed as soon as you can and aren't just saying that because of the responses you got.

The reason I say to go for it is twofold: first, it really will be a neat experience for you that could possibly become a career. It sounds like your family is wealthy enough to have some discretionary income, so if they can provide that for you then why not take it. Second, it will be a character building experience for you. You will have to conform to a rigid set of protocols and procedures which will likely stretch you a bit. Even if you don't pursue aviation beyond soloing as a private pilot there are some life lessons to be learned from it.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:04 PM
jessiej

Get a ROTC scholarship become a commissioned officer, Apply for flight schooll, Let Uncle Sugar teach you,

Jess

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.