Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Should I get a pilots license?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Should I get a pilots license?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 07:56 PM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Should I get a pilots license?

ORIGINAL: Dave McDonald

ORIGINAL: t-max97

ORIGINAL: tailskid

Take an introductory flight ASAP.....that will make or break your dream!
That's just it, It's not really a ''dream'' of mine, as in something Iv'e always wanted to do. I tend to get interested in something, give it my all for a while and then eventually tire of it and do something else. that's probably not really a good quality but that's how I am lol, that doesn't mean I won't take an introductory flight but I'm thinking flight lessons are a no go for now unless I get one of these jobs and can pay for it, I would hate for my parents to pay that much for something I would just get tired of later.

You're missing the point. The purpose of the intro flight lesson is to let you know what it feels like to pilot a full scale plane.....AND.......to see if you truly enjoy it.

If you find out you like flying full scale planes, then you will have a much better idea of whether or not you want to pursue a pilot license sometime in the near future, or even the distant future.

If you find out that flying full scale isn't really what you were expecting, or you are prone to motion sickness, then at least you will have the satisfaction of trying it at least once. Lots of people have flown in a plane, but very few can say they have actually flown a plane.

Don't assume that you need to get a job to pay for lots of flying lessons until you have actually taken the first flying lesson. After your intro flight the answer will become clear, then you can set your goals accordingly. Whether or not full scale flying will be a part of your future can only be answered by taking the first intro flying lesson.

I'm not missing the point I completely understand, my point Is I would bet money I would enjoy it and want to pursue flight lessons, Im just afraid that a while after I got it and the "new" wore off I would eventually tire of it and wish I had that $7000 back. Just a thought, to be honest I wish this thread would die already lol I've got all the info I need for now and I want to just relax about it and see how I feel about it later. BTW I want a job regardless of if I get a pilot's license or not.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:04 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I give up.

unsubscribed.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:15 PM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

Lol give up on what? I get what your saying and agree, Just explaining myself better.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:53 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At least visit your local airport flight school and take an introductory flight.

When I was a lot younger, and just after I was old enough to drive a car, still in school, and working part time, I learned to fly.
It was interesting at the time, in that after solo, and cleared for cross country flights. I flew into a fair number of small fields around the state.
One of the oddities was that I was old enough to rent a plane, but not old enough to rent a car. ??? On more than one occasion, the small airport operators would "lend" me a car, since, after all, the A/C on the ramp that I flew in with was worth a lot more than the car.

Learning to fly, if nothing else, gives you "3D" judgement and perspective that is difficult to otherwise obtain.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:48 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Good points, chuckh. I got my private in '76, started flying charter & corporate in '80. One of the great aspects is dropping into a small airport out in the country unannounced, experiencing life in different towns and meeting people. Always see and learn new things on the road.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:20 AM
abelard

One of the oddities was that I was old enough to rent a plane, but not old enough to rent a car. ???
Think back on how you learned to do both, and the reason should become clear.

Odds are, you were taught to drive by a parent who had been taught by their parents. Then you were examined by a guy who basically made sure you stopped at lights and signaled before turning; the hardest part of that test probably was parallel parking.

And then you had a license that entitled you to drive in city traffic or over icy mountain passes, by day or night. Maybe you were good at it then, maybe not; the point is, nobody knew the answer to that, especially the insurance industry. So you had to show how good you were, by getting to age 25 without killing anybody, before Hertz's insurance company would touch you.